anybody have a Prius Prime ?

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by jmelson, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jmelson

jmelson Well-Known Member

I've been driving a 2009 Honda Civic hybrid since new, and like it. One of my kids is making noises about buying it from me, and I'd buy a new car. Hmmmm, what to get? So, I'd like to find out if anybody has a Prius Prime, and what they think of it. Driving the Civic Hybrid, ALL by myself, I can routinely get 52 MPG, but if my kids or wife drive it, it is more like 40, sometimes even worse. How much electric range do you actually get? How much does the charger cost?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Jon

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

BillLin likes this.
  3. jmelson

OK, interesting info, but looks too much like a sales blurb. I was hoping that there were at least a couple guys that owned one, so I could get a longer-term review of how they liked it.
    Since I mostly use my car to commute to work, and that is about 23 miles round trip, the Prime looks like it would work pretty well. I wanted to check if the 25 mile electric range is realistic.

I do go to some meetings where I drag a HUGE amount of stuff. I've done this for the last 6 years in a Honda Civic Hybrid, and that does work. (two computers, a desktop milling machine, and a bunch of boxes of associated gear.) So, when on one of these trips, or other traveling, an all-electric would not work. The Volt looks somewhat attractive, but the gasoline mileage is supposed to be pretty disappointing. Also, it is a Chevy. I've gotten too used to the insane reliability of Toyotas and Hondas.

So, if anyone actually owns a Prime, I'd love to hear how it is working out for you!

Thanks,

Jon

BillLin likes this.
  4. alster

alster Well-Known Member

We don't own a Prius Prime, but do own a 2016 Volt and a 2010 Prius. priuschat.com has quite a few Prius Prime owners who could perhaps help you.
    From owning 2 Volts, a 2014 and now a 2016 Volt electric range in summer will be far more than in winter. You could probably make a 23 mile round trip commute
    in the prime easily in summer but in winter probably not depending on where you live.

DaveJ and BillLin like this.
  5. jmelson

GREAT! Thanks a bunch, I see a number of useful reports there!

Jon

BillLin likes this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

It is early days yet for us. We've only had the car for a couple months, so no winter driving yet. We look forward to the benefits of the heat pump come colder weather.

We purposely drive with minimal use of the traction battery. We are only about 90% self-sufficient on the solar panels and excess use of electricity will draw from typical New England power generation methods as well as incur approximately 20 cents/kWh consumed.

We rarely have occasion to use a public L2 charging station that suits our schedule. We only charge at home on 110V. Typical charge times that I enforce with a timer is about 1 hour after most drives, and I keep the battery level below 95% full when I can. A few times when I'm not in control, the car charges to 100%. With 110V charging, I use an outlet switch with access from Alexa, Google Home, Android app, etc. and of course through IFFFT control, my favorite.

Indicated AER with 90% charge is in the high 20s of miles range and about 30 miles with 100% full. For the times we do use EV mode, the rate of decrease in expected EV range drops in accordance with our usage, so I fully expect to be able to achieve the 25+ range.

I'm probably only one of a few people who appreciate the following feature that's not often mentioned, but is documented in the owner's manual. If you like to always have some charge available in the traction battery beyond what is saved and regenerated in hybrid mode and you're out on a road trip and have no opportunity to charge, then you'll like the ability for the car to run the engine and increase the traction battery level up to the 80% mark. Do this while driving conservatively and you can keep the MPGs at 40 or better by my guesstimate. It's not something I would routinely do, but it is a great backup. This may be useful for post-disaster power outages above and beyond what a regular hybrid Prius will give you in the same situation.

I think what was called "mountain mode" in the Chevy Volt was similar, and I believe the Audi A3 e-tron had a similar feature.

Drive and ride feel is of course much better than earlier generations.

240V home chargers are probably around $500 now, but permitting and installation will likely double that.

My wife loves her Prius Prime.

Jay, Carcus and xcel like this.
  7. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

I have a Level 2 Clipper Creek charger that we've been very happy with. Had an electrician run a 240V circuit. Had it 3 years now with our Leaf.
    Not sure I'd mess with it for a Prime, as 120V should easily charge it in 3-4 hours.
    If I added a Prime to the Leaf, replacing the '10 Prius, I'd use the Level 2 to charge the Prime.
    My hold up is 1) none available in my little city, and 2) I now need ground clearance beyond the '10 Prius, and the new generation has less, not more.

BillLin, Carcus and xcel like this.
  8. BillLin

Subjectively, the usable ground clearance is better than earlier Priuses/Prii. What I mean is that the angle of approach feels better. I easily scraped the air dam on a 2010, but I haven't scraped since. Maybe I'm just getting better at maneuvering? :D Anyway, if you're concerned about snow and puddles, you'll have to check the actual specs. I don't recall off hand.

xcel likes this.
  9. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Half inch less ground clearance and my problem is rutted out gravel roads shared with oil field trucks. Angle of approach not the issue for me.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  10. BillLin

I can see why you would be concerned. Maybe BFG 31" All Terrains to the rescue? ;)

Seriously you're not scraping the bottom of your current Prius?

xcel likes this.
  11. bradlee

bradlee Drive Less When You can - Drive $mart When You Do

Hey Bill, my wife took delivery on our 2017 Prime Premium in beautiful Blue Magnetism in late July. We had to wait about three months to take get it but it's well worth the wait. With the $4,500 tax credit in came in at about the same as my new 2017 Prius Three so it's well worth the investment. I would have gotten another Prime but my tax bracket would not have allowed the credit but I'm happy with my Three, averaging 91.3 mpg and working on a 1,000 mile tank.

We've not had a problem with the lower clearance, but are always wary in lots and driveway entrances. We've never used a fast charger yet and are really happy with the 5 hour recharge of the pack especially because we get lower electric rates at night.

As far as some metrics to date:
    - 2201 total miles with 183.1 mpge
    - 450 EV miles at 199.9 mpg (I suspect even higher but my wife does not want to use a Scangauge in her car)
    - 6.7 mkWh and a current range of over 40 miles on a charge
    - our first gas fill was 8.7 gallons on 1431 miles

BillLin likes this.
  12. jmelson

Thanks for the report. One of my kids bought my daughter's old Honda Civic Hybrid, so our car situation has settled down for the moment. My Civic Hybrid is doing fine. But, eventually, we will need to replace our ancient van (230K miles, 2000 model). The 40 miles/charge is a VERY important data point, that's the kind of info you just can't get except from an actual owner!

Thanks VERY much,

Jon

BillLin likes this.
  13. BillLin

Congratulations! I suspect we'd have a longer wait now with popularity of the Prime, but back in Apr/May, the local dealer located one fairly quickly.

My wife's the same way with the Scangauge. The SG won't help with knowing how efficiently you drive in EV mode, though. There _is_ a display in the Prime that shows miles / kWh. It also keeps a history (don't know for how long) so you can check on it after the fact.

40 estimated EV range is outstanding. We're seeing around 32-34 estimated EV range while charging to about about 95%. We have not been using up all of the charge either so not getting the full EV range benefits. Still, I'm pleased with getting 25 miles EV on a 95% charge and not taxing the battery in the least.