2018 Hyundai Sonata Pricing Revealed

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Jun 20, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A refresh brings about the most modern Sonata.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – June 19, 2017

The refreshed 2018 Hyundai Sonata arrives with a new grille, rear fascia, badging, interior tweaks and a new eight-speed AT for the 2.0T models. Pricing starts at $22,050 for the Sonata SE. The 2018 Sonata arrives in dealer showrooms this summer.

2018 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]

2018 Hyundai Sonata Pricing

Trim, Engine and Transmission – MSRP/+/- compared to 2017 MSRP ($USD)
    • SE w/ the 2.4L GDI I4 and 6-Speed AT - $22,050/+$100
    • Eco w/ the 1.6L Turbo GDI I4 and 7-Speed Dual Clutch AT - $22,650/-$475
    • SEL w/ the 2.4L GDI I4 and 6-Speed AT - $23,700/NA
    • Limited w/ the 2.4L GDI I4 and 6-Speed AT - $27,400/+$250
    • Sport w/ the 2.4L GDI I4 and 6-Speed AT - $25,200/+$800
    • Sport 2.0T w/ the 2.0L Turbo GDI I4 and 8-Speed AT - $27,600/+$1,000
    • Limited 2.0T w/ the 2.0L Turbo GDI I4 and 8-Speed AT - $32,450/-$1,900
    Freight charge for the 2018 Sonata is $885.

The SE and ECO trims have no Option packages available.

The SEL's Tech pkg. ($1,000) adds the following:
    • Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) w/ Pedestrian Detection
    • Lane Keep Assist systems (LKA)
    • Smart Cruise Control w/ Start/Stop
    • Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) w/ Auto Vehicle Hold
    The Limited’s Ultimate Package ($2,900) adds the following:
    • Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) w/ Pedestrian Detection
    • Lane Keep Assist systems (LKAS)
    • Smart Cruise Control w/ Start/Stop
    • Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) w/ Auto Vehicle Hold
    • Automatic high beam assist
    • Rear parking assistance system
    • Navigation system with 8-inch color touchscreen
    • HERE HD Traffic (Real-time traffic service)
    • Infinity premium audio system (400-watt)
    • SiriusXM Travel Link (Complimentary Trial)
    • Wireless phone charging
    • Heated steering wheel
    • Rear side window sunshades
    • Blue Link Guidance Package (3-Year Complimentary Trial)
    Penned at Hyundai’s California Design Studio and assembled at Hyundai’s manufacturing facility in Montgomery, Alabama, the 2018 Sonata shows continuous improvement. Hyundai’s new “cascading grille” in front and an all-new rear with more prominent branding and relocation of the license plate in the bumper is just a start. New sheet metal for the hood, front fenders, and trunk was also a change.

Redesigned 16", 17", and 18” alloys and vertical LED DRLs, LED headlights, and LED taillights complete the refresh.

2018 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]
    A bevy of 2018 Sonata’s.​

Inside, the center stack and instrument panel add a cohesive look. The one area that could be problematic is the three-spoke steering wheel. The lower vertical spoke has a gap so maybe my thumb will fit but more than likely, I will be under the wheel to the right/left and having to hold the wheel against gravity.

Piano-key buttons for the audio and HVAC controls and standard 7” central display audio system is also included.

Hyundai further refined the chassis for 2018 with 21 percent thicker trailing arms and new bushings for more ride compliance and quicker response times. The steering system’s torsion bar stiffness has been increased by 12 percent to improve steering responsiveness and new steering calibration further improves on-center feel.

2018 Hyundai Sonata Interior

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]
    2017 Hyundai Sonata Interior.​

The top-of-the-line 2.0T I4 engine is mated to a new 8-speed AT, which adds ratio range at both the top and bottom for improved performance and efficiency. All 2.0L turbo Sonatas ride on 18” wheels w/ Michelin tires. If only that 8-speed was added to the base 2.4L I4 equipped SE and Limited.

On the safety front, every 2018 Sonata is equipped with Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA). The optional Lane Departure Warning system now includes a Lane Keep Assist function.

All 2018 Sonatas are equipped with a standard seven-inch color display audio touchscreen including rear view camera with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration. Models equipped with Blue Link Telematics get three years of complimentary Connected Care and Remote services; including the ability to activate many of the features using the Amazon Echo and Google Home virtual assistants. The optional embedded NAVI system is enhanced with a bird’s-eye-view feature and HERE HD real-time traffic flow data. Owners also receive three years of complimentary Guidance Package services include downloads to maintain up-to-date navigation maps.

2018 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]

For the first time, an optional wireless charging pad (Qi) can be added while a standard second-row USB charge port is now standard.

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

2018 Hyundai Sonata – Finalist for 2017 International Design Excellence Awards

[​IMG]
    “The Look”​

Hyundai’s 2018 Sonata has been recognized as a finalists in the 2017 International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) for its bold design. IDEA highlights unique designs across a wide range of categories including transportation and sporting goods as just two examples.

The 2018 Sonata introduces a number of design changes that provide a more upscale exterior. From the front, the new grille combines with vertical LED DRLs and the narrower headlamps stand out a bit more.

[​IMG]

From the profile, a larger trunk lid to counterbalances the lower, wider front grille, making the hood appear longer and sleeker.

Inside the new Sonata, the center stack includes revised audio and ventilation controls with “rocker” buttons.

[​IMG]
    “The Feel”​

IDEA is an international design competition, recognizing and promoting design excellence across a wide array of industries and disciplines conducted annually by the Industrial Designers Society of America. IDEA judging is based on the following criteria of Design Excellence: Design Innovation, Benefit to the User, Benefit to the Client, Benefit to Society and Appropriate Aesthetics.

BillLin likes this.
  3. xcel

Hi All:

I was with Hyundai at the The Lodge at Torrey Pines this evening to learn about and drive the all-new 2018 #ElantraGT and #GTSport and refreshed #Sonata.

I asked the valet to bring mine down... After a few minutes he reappears with a perplexed look on his face and asked, "Which one?" :D :D :D

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. xcel

Hi All:

And the star of the show up close and personal.

2018 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]
    The Sport trim looks great up close. Wait until you see this trims cascading grille shots in better light tomorrow.​

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

The rear bumper corner looks odd from this angle. Seems needlessly complex.

xcel likes this.
  6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

At the NYIAS, Chris Chapman was the main speaker during the press event, and he sketched the refaced Sonata freehand with a black marker as he explained the effect of the different style elements. The front and rear bumper fascias have the vertical lenses tilted diagonally outward toward the bottom to visually lower the car and to provide a greater look of stability. It looks planted-to-the-road.
    Neat feature on the rear trunk panel is the pushbutton to open the trunk is now hidden in the "H" logo. When they moved the license plate down to the bumper, the button could no longer hide in the chrome bar above the plate.

In reviewing the pricing, it appears the 2018 Limited Ultimate with all the trimmings is about the same price as the outgoing 2017 Limited with Tech. Throw in some sweet incentives that are all but inevitable and the reskinned Sonata is going to be an absolute steal in the full size (120+ cubic feet of interior volume) sedan market.

xcel, BillLin and Jay like this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Does EVERY car have to have the dreaded "gaping maw" ? I think the Sonata looked just fine before this "refresh". Now it's almost as cartoon-ish as the 2018 Camry. I'm not saying that all sedans need to look like the Passat or Accord.
    Wait............ what exactly would be wrong with THAT ?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. xcel

Hi Edwin:

Yup. :)

Here is a vid I put together of the refreshed 18 Sonata under an extreme deadline of just 1-hour and 15-minutes from opening up my Video software and designing to rendering being complete and begin the upload to FaceBook. The upload to FB took just as long as it did to put the vid together! Not including snapping pics all day of course.

JonNC likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

More 2018 Hyundai #Sonata highlights.

[​IMG]

Besides the ability to remote start/stop/set HVAC/and remote lock/unlock from your smartwatch or smartphone, you can now complete these tasks with your Alexa or Google Home devices after setting up and each time providing a pin.

Harmon Kardon Clari-Fi in real time

[​IMG]
    The Audi trace of the compressed original and the rebuilt can be seen. It most certainly can be heard.​

The second pic is a graphical representation of the Clari-Fi technology that Harmon Kardon has created and is in the higher end trims Sonata's. It attempts to rebuild what the lossy compression of all streaming formats takes out and will not touch a high def audio file.

In November of last year, Samsung purchased auto and audio giant Harman for $8 billion USD. Could we see this same technology in future Samsung smartphones? I hope so! Only talk is distorted a tad in a few instances in my experience.

#NewSonata

Wayne

JonNC likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi All:

More of a Sonata San Diego travelogue... A few 2018 Hyundai #Sonata highlights from the road.

The next few shots are just goofing around with whatever the short drive up to Julian, Calif. presented. Claudia Krusch of Trendy Latina was my drive partner and what a learning experience!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Classic vs. Modern.​

The classic cars and trucks were advertising a realty agent of all things! Pretty cool collection and I wish I had time to speak with the owner about his vehicles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Old vs New.​

The next was on the side of either a KTM motorcycle dealership or a bar? I am not sure which. What do you think about this 2.5 story display of Charles Lindbergh, otherwise known as Lucky Lindy? In 1927, he succeeded in flying nonstop from Long Island, New York, to Paris in 33 1⁄2-hours covering 3,600 miles. The harrowing flight occurred while alone in a single-engine purpose-built monoplane called the Spirit of St. Louis. This was the first solo transatlantic flight, the first non-stop flight between North America and mainland Europe, and made the young aviator famous beyond all expectations.

#NewSonata

Wayne

JonNC and BillLin like this.
  11. xcel

Hi All:

A few 2018 Hyundai #Sonata highlights from the road.

While at this short lead, we were provided the opportunity to "Make things better" with tasks to help those in far more need than us.

2018 Hyundai Sonata on a Mission

[​IMG]

Rancho Santa Fe is a top-notch Rescue called the Helen Woodward Animal Center. Beautiful pups, kitty's, and other animals in search of a home reside here waiting. All they need is you to come by and adopt them as your own. With Hyundai's direction, we supplied over 100 lbs. of dog and cat food and toys for the much-deserved dogs and cats that live here in hopes that they can become part of your family.

[​IMG]
    Notice the new trunk face with no plate cutout and Sonata badging?​

Helen Woodward Animal Center is a private, non-profit that for more than 40 years has been committed to the philosophy of people helping animals and animals helping people. The nationally recognized Center provides a variety of services that benefit the community through educational and therapeutic programs for people, and humane care and adoption for animals.

[​IMG]

They are a no-kill facility that receives no government funding and relies heavily on tax-deductible contributions from private donors to continue our life-saving mission.

The Center’s mission is a passionate belief that animals help people and people help animals through trust, unconditional love, and respect creates a legacy of caring. Sharing this philosophy with others, the Center inspires and teaches, locally and globally, the importance of the animal-human bond.

[​IMG]

These two spry little pups were adorable and I so much wanted to take them home. :(

I was so proud to help these beautiful animals in need with Hyundai's #NewSonata taking the lead.

Wayne

12. xcel

Hi All:

A few more 2018 Hyundai #Sonata highlights from the road.

2018 Hyundai Sonata to The Church on Time

[​IMG]

Another wonderful stop as we made our way to Julian, California was near a church along a bluff over a peaceful rolling valley. Thanks goes to our "partner in crime ;)", Miles Johnson of Hyundai PR for the location.

[​IMG]

It is just peaceful up there where the best pies in all of California are made!!! :D

[​IMG]
    Another closeup of the rear end badging refresh.​

Hyundai's #NewSonata taking the lead.

Wayne

13. xcel

Hi All:

More 2018 Hyundai #Sonata highlights from the road.

The most important excursion on the road occurred when we were guided by the Sonata's Android Auto Google Maps to a location of utmost urgency and importance.

That stop was the Rady Children's Hospital-San Diego where provided a 16.3 cu. ft. trunk full of toys.

[​IMG]

Rady Children’s Hospital is the largest children’s hospital in California and the only hospital in the San Diego area dedicated exclusively to pediatric healthcare and trauma.

The team includes more than 900 physicians, more than 1,200 nurses, 4,700+ employees, more than 500 active volunteers of which my wife Marian was one, and more than 1,250 Auxiliary members.

[​IMG]

As most know, I am a huge proponent of Hyundai Hope on Wheels. This life saving donation program was started by a Hyundai dealer which grew to a region of Hyundai dealers which grew into a nation of Hyundai dealerships providing donations to a cause and hope of ending childhood cancer.

Hyundai Hope on Wheels

I am not sure if you know but every time a Hyundai vehicle is purchased, Hyundai and its U.S. dealers make a donation to Hyundai Hope on Wheels.

While we donated bags of toys thanks to Hyundai, it is the nation’s support of this cause that makes Childhood Cancer curable for more than 80 percent of those children afflicted today.

[​IMG]

The hand prints are from our most precious that have survived - my son Scott being one of them, those that are fighting this terrible disease today, and those that did not live to make the world a better place but whose dreams live on in the hopes that a future child so afflicted can.

Hyundai's #NewSonata taking the lead.

Wayne

fishnrib, JonNC and BillLin like this.
  14. xcel

Hi All:

And a final tribute to the 2018 Hyundai #Sonata from the road.

[​IMG]

A short stop along a scenic overlook of the famous Highway 101 to shoot a quick video just feet from the San Diego border. While there, we found this beautiful carving of a Bird of Prey watching out over the mighty Pacific.

U.S. Route 101 in the state of California is one of the last remaining and longest U.S. Routes still active in the state, and the longest highway of any kind in California. It is one of the original national routes established in 1926 and there is no more beautiful highway to drive in possibly all the world.

#NewSonata

Wayne

15. xcel

Hi All:

The YouTube vid covering more of the details for one of it not the most comfortable car I can drive. :)

2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T w/ the 245 hp and 260 lb-ft. of torque 2.0L GDI-T mated to an all-new and smooth shifting 8-speed AT - $33,460 to start incl. mats and the $885 D&H charge.

Owners are provided with a midsize that is larger than some full-size cars - 106.1 and 16.3 cu.ft. of passenger/cargo volume - for less than midsize segment pricing while offering owners a 23/32 mpg city/highway rating.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are standard on all Sonata's. Moving to the higher end trims with FCW and the Radar CC system, the Hyundai system is about as good as Audi's in terms of lower accel/decel G forces when setup with its softest setting.

The new steering system - stiffer shafts - and retuned suspension is slightly better but nothing anyone will concern themselves with.

If there was a car I was tasked to drive 100k miles in just 6-months, the refreshed 2018 Hyundai Sonata would be that car. That is saying something.

Wayne

16. xcel

2018 Hyundai Sonata Earns the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ Rating

This week saw the 2018 Hyundai Sonata earn the coveted Insurance Institute of Highway Safety’s highest accolade for safety, receiving a 2017 TOP SAFETY PICK+ award when equipped with optional front crash prevention and dynamic bending headlights. The IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ award helps consumers select vehicles that offer the highest level of crash protection.

[​IMG]

For 2017, IIHS requirements for the TOP SAFETY PICK+ were tightened. To qualify, winners must earn good ratings in each of the Institute’s five crashworthiness tests – small overlap crash test, moderate overlap crash test, side and roof strength, and head restraint tests – and have an available front crash prevention system earning an advanced or superior rating. Winners must also score no less than an acceptable rating in the headlight test.

In addition, the 2018 Hyundai Sonata also achieved the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administrations top 5-star crash test rating.

[​IMG]

For 2018, the Sonata offers even more safety features. In addition to seven standard airbags (dual front, side, and curtain, as well as driver’s knee) and a battery of safety systems (VSM, ESC, TCS, ABS, EBD, BA, and TPMS) including Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA). The Sonata is the only midsize car sold with this safety technology as standard equipment. Despite the fact that drivers spending a tiny amount of time in reverse, one-quarter of all accidents happen when someone is backing up. BSD with RCTA gives drivers peace of mind that the road behind them is clear. Furthermore, there’s also a new Lane Departure Warning system with an enhanced Lane Keep Assist function available.

BillLin likes this.
  17. xcel

Hyundai Wins 2017 GOOD DESIGN Award for Refreshed 2018 Sonata

2018 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]

Hyundai recently redesigned midsize Sonata provides a slightly more modern profile. The new design was honored with a 2017 GOOD DESIGN Award from the Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and the European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies, a significant honor in the world of design. This is the second time Sonata has been recognized by the Museum’s GOOD DESIGN Awards, following a win in 2014 and continuing Hyundai’s commitment to modern automotive styling.

The Hyundai Sonata was honored alongside pioneers from the worlds of industrial, product and graphic design for its immense creativity and attention to form, function and aesthetics. As the oldest and most prestigious worldwide design awards program, GOOD DESIGN has upheld a standard of excellence and daring creativity for 67 years, and Hyundai is proud to have been honored on numerous occasions.

2018 Hyundai Sonata First Drive

Darn near 100k views on this short lead vid. My best ever.​

The 2018 refresh builds on the success of previous generations while introducing a more aggressive sporty look. A newly sculpted hood, an appearance of a longer profile, and larger flat trunk face with larger chrome badging result in a more distinctive exterior. The interior has been redesigned as well, bolstering the center stack with larger features to create a more modern appearance and improved ergonomics. The real highlight inside is the all-new “rocker” buttons to control the audio and ventilation controls. Good stuff as shown in the intro vid.

GOOD DESIGN Awards - Founded in Chicago in 1950, the GOOD DESIGN Awards honor the yearly achievements of the best industrial and graphic designers and world manufacturers for their pursuit of extraordinary design excellence. GOOD DESIGN is the oldest and the most prestigious architecture and design awards program organized worldwide and strives to create a revived awareness about contemporary design. The awards honor both products and industry leaders in design and manufacturing that have charted new directions and pushed the envelope for competitive products in the world marketplace. In November, juries met in New York and San Francisco and selected over 900 product designs and graphics from over 38 nations worthy of the GOOD DESIGN Award for their design excellence.

BillLin likes this.