In 1983 Volvo had a concept vehicle that beat the Prius in fuel economy.

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by ALS, Jun 16, 2017.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

The path the Prius took to these goals isn’t the only one, though. Volvo solved the same problems in a different and arguable much more fun way back in 1983, with their LCP2000.

[​IMG]

It’s called a Light Component Prototype because the goal was to make the car from components that were, well, light. Plastics, magnesium, and aluminum were used, selected for their light weight and recyclability, and carbon fiber was even used for the door frames, which was a huge deal back in 1983. The entire floorpan of the car was a single plastic piece, to which the rest of the body was attached.

The result of all these novel materials is that the car weighs under 1600 lbs! That’s less than a Volkswagen Beetle of the era, and is way less than a modern Miata.

The combination of the light weight, CVT transmission (which Volvo got from their purchase of DAF), and efficient turbodiesel engines meant that the LCP2000 got 56 MPG city/81 highway, which is as good as a Prius in the city, and way the hell better on the highway.

Full story at Jalopnik: https://jalopnik.com/this-1983-volvo-concept-would-have-been-a-much-better-p-1796152961

2. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Now that's cool! I love the light weight focus. It's strangely cool in a way that only jalopnik and I could like. I'll neg it for the CVT though...