Why do we do this?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by stran, Jul 13, 2007.

1. stran

stran Member

Hi, I generally don't register with forums because I'm more of a reader/listener, but I have been impressed by the friendliness and quality of this forum. You guys rock!

I was first introduced to the notion of FAS'ing more than 10 years ago reading "How to get more miles per gallon in the 1990s" by Robert Sikorsky (it was before I could even drive!) when he talked about the notion of accelerating gently up to speed, shutting off your engine, and coasting to squeeze the last few miles out of your tank before you run dry and get stranded. This was before the time of hybrids and probably before the term FAS was invented. I was only a kid then, but I didn’t recall anybody caring about miles per gallon. Hypermiling must have really been a fringe thing. Maybe somebody could comment on what it was like back then.

I bought a Yaris HB automatic a few weeks ago (upgraded from a '90 Accord with +200K miles), but I actually ordered my ScanGuage II before I bought my car. ;) Now, I wished I went with the manual so I can bump-start and to better take advantage of DFCO (which I learned courtesy of BailOut and CleanMPG.com). On my commute, I started at 36 mpg driving as I normally do, then climbed a bit higher everyday to 39, 41, 42, 44, 45, and as of yesterday 48.5. And all of this has been without FAS. That will probably come in a tank or two once my FE plateaus out.

I am trying to justify my irrational passion with getting high MPG. FAS'ing into a parking lot will save pennies, which, in the bigger scheme of thing, is nothing. The wear and tear on the key ignition alone, not to mention the risks involved, isn't worth the few pennies. If I had to do a cost/benefit analysis, I wouldn't bother with FAS. But for me, and maybe for some other people, it's not about the money saved, or the environment, but honing the skill it takes to push your car to the limit. It's like when you train for a 5K run. Spending 3 more months on base training might bring your mile time from 6:30 down to 6:00, but really, no one cares. We don't have to run from predators so the extra thirty seconds won't mean the difference between life and death. People don't judge you by how fast you run. If anything, overtraining will probably bring more wear and tear to your knee. But it's the rewarding feeling of accomplishment that drives the whole process.

Ironically, I planned on biking to work this summer (~15 miles each way), but since getting the new Yaris, my bike has been collecting dusty. *sadly shakes head*

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Because it's fun. :) That, and a few pennies here and there add up to a whole lot of pennies throughout the course of a year. And because driving for efficiency encourages focus on the road rather than the distraction, inherently making you a safer driver. (Gotta be careful with the advanced stuff, of course.) And because we want to lead by example, hopefully making our roads a better place to drive.

Oh, did I mention the fun factor?

Welcome aboard! :D And do get back on that bike ASAP.

3. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

I do it to stick my middle fingers up to OPEC, all oil companies, the AAMA, the U.S.' Republican Party (and a few select Democrats), and anyone else that stands in the way of renewable, non-harmful fuels and transportation.

4. Himmitch

Himmitch Well-Known Member

I do it to save money, stick it to OPEC. And to try to show if we all did this and would drill for our own oil we could be energy independent!

5. SpartyBrutus

SpartyBrutus Hypofueller

chicks dig it...

6. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

i do it for the challenge, and to show up chevy pickups. and the money. compared to my last ride, i am spending $3000 less than i would have been without my civic and the techniques i have learned driving it.

7. Fenrir

Fenrir Well-Known Member

I do it because I'm not like most of the people around me. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but for as long as I can remember I've felt more enlightened than most. I see the bigger picture, and I know where the status quo is leading us. I find it difficult to exist in this world because I can imagine one so much better, and I know that we could get there if only.... So I try to set a better example. Mine is usually the weirdest car on the road, I drive a little differently than most, and some people feel they need to demonstrate their perceived superiority by squealing their tires or blasting their fart pipes. I try not to let it make me angry (it isn't easy) because I know these actions stem from frustration and fear. I'm frustrated and afraid too, but I try to find more productive outlets (it isn't easy). Hypermiling is a fun game, and it helps keep my attention on positive things. The better I do, the less bothered I am by the bad driving habits of others. I'm not like everyone else, and I'm happy about that. I let my freak flag fly.

8. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I guess I could talk about wanting to save the Earth or stretching non-renewable resources or not wanting to fund terrorists and I guess all that is true, but I don't honestly think I'm all that high-minded most of the time. I do honestly know that I can be pretty cheap and I suppose that it does save a little money, but on a day-to-day basis I probably save less than the price of a good cup of coffee.

The long term attraction I think is in the actual process. The time I spend commuting although mostly through pleasant scenery would otherwise be spent pretty much in a bovine state of semi-awareness. The challenge of hypermiling provides a way to be "in the moment" rather than unaware. Then again it may just be some of the other reasons I gave above.

9. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

I hate buying gas and the air pollution that it brings. Las Vegas is in a valley and the brown haze that hovers above here doesn't move. I have allergies and I'm finding it harder and harder just to roll my window down to breathe air. Pollen is bad enough, at least the dust settles, but smog just stays there like a blanket of death.

10. laurieaw

you are not alone in feeling that way. i have always been like that, ever since i was a kid. and this is how it manifests now that i am a grownup....ok, i got older, but i never really grew up. but i know that i don't get caught up in celebrity worship, the latest fads, or doing what everyone else is doing. i drive slow and don't watch TV.....that makes me odd right away :p

11. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

It is more about the challenge to me also .
    Other things -
    I don't want to pay more than I need to to get to work (Who really *wants* to work ?LOL) .
    It isn't the normal thing to do for most people.
    I don't need 500 hp ! I can get by real easily with 40-100 (maybe even less)
    Oh yeah I'm cheap too - I don't need to do anything other than add more brains to the drive . I'll gladly add money to my knowledge quota vs Big Oils pockets

12. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Stran:

___All the reasons posted here are reasons “YOU” should do this as most of us already do. Let me give you a suggestion … Go purchase $10.00 worth of nickels and every mile throw one out the window. It is only a nickel but what can a nickel every mile buy? I think of that nickel in terms of a round for an AK47 and we know who that round is pointed at :( About a nickel every mile is what I see the average Accord driver throwing away and although it doesn’t seem like much, keep tossing those nickels out and after 100,000 miles, you could have bought $5,000 worth of whatever you would like.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

13. roadrunner

roadrunner Well-Known Member

Both of you explain how I feel, and express it so well. Hypermiling is a fun game!
    Got my first 50+mpg tank in my Yaris Hatchback this week. Never thought it would happen back when I purchased it 10 months ago.
    :)

14. GrendelKhan

GrendelKhan Well-Known Member

I just started, so I'm not very good yet. But I'm already at about 70% better mileage what I had in June, because I had a different car then. I'm hoping to more than double my old mileage.

I bought the new car, and I'm trying to hypermile some, because I'm sick of my money going to oil companies, and Middle East governments that oppress their people (especially their women), and partially use my money to fund terrorism, which kills people. But even that, I can probably live with, it just makes me sick a little.

It's really becoming more that I'm convinced that the reason that we're in Iraq is for the oil. All the supposed reasons sound like total lies to me. So from what I can tell, that equals (as of today) 3,613 dead, and 26,695 wounded American soldiers, for that oil. And that's just too many. It's just too high a price. I just can't take it anymore. Try counting to 3,613, it'll blow your mind (it'll take you over an hour at 1 count per second). Each count is an actual person from our country, dying some horrible death, in some horrible place, for us. And coming home in a box. So that I can drive a bigger vehicle, or drive faster. I can't stand the thought of it.

Believe me, I ain't no peacenick anti-war hippy. I'm not against war per se, and I totally support/respect/honor our troops. And I'm all for whatever it takes to kill bin Laden over in Afghanistan/Pakistan. I just think I oughta have a good reason, to ask someone to actually die for me. I ain't digging the Iraq lies any more...

The more I think about it, the more I think getting the NAH just isn't good enough. I shoulda got the Prius. We'll see, maybe later... It's a start...

Sorry, I'm a downer...

-Gren

15. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

Nope ! No downer,no apology necessary. Just an honest heartfelt answer .

16. laurieaw

i second that, gren........

17. Fenrir

Fenrir Well-Known Member

I'm sure many of us here feel the same way. It's why I frequent this forum. Sanity in an insane world.
    I have a much different idea of what it means to be an adult now than when I was a child. Now that I think about it, the word adult doesn't really hold any meaning for me anymore.

18. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Well-Known Member

It is easy to come up with reasons why you should use less gas. Then, once you realize the power you have to do this, it's a downward spiral.;)

19. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Just before I learned to drive, the 55mph speed limit was imposed, Daylight Savings Time was year-round, oil prices helped keep inflation at 10% (BTW, it could happen again :eek: ).

I've been driving since 1975, and since 1985 I've really been driving the same car (86 CRX HF, 88 CRX HF, 00 Insight).

The first reasons ingrained in me was what we now call Peak Oil and price. All the other reasons are also valid.

20. laurieaw

i think the 55MPH limit should be imposed again. maybe it would keep the speeders down to what the speed limit is now. ;)