2018 Hyundai B-Segment KONA CUV Teaser

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, May 16, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Hyundai’s first U.S. B-Segment CUV is close at hand.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – May 3, 2017

2018 Hyundai KONA – Pricing, Specs, overall detail, and EPA TBA.

Hyundai revealed a few details on its all-new upcoming compact CUV called KONA. From the release, the KONA name continues Hyundai’s tradition of naming crossovers after desirable adventure travel destinations – notably the Santa Fe and Tucson. The KONA was named after the coastal region in Hawaii where the adventurous island states spirit is alive and well.

The KONA was designed to deliver best-in-class interior volume while offering customers a yet to be fully divulged unique interior and exterior design.

My hopes on the drivetrain are that the heavily atkinsonized, 40 percent TD efficient, 104 hp and 109 lb.-ft. of torque, 1.6L I4 mated to the 6-speed DCT from the Ioniq – minus the hybrid hardware - or the 128 hp and 156 lb-ft. of torque 1.4L mated to the 7-speed DCT from the Elantra ECO are/will be offered.

The KONA teaser image below reveals the fluidic sculpture 2.5 cascading grille, new twin LED headlamps, and LED DRLs on top of the headlights similar to the Tucson look good.

2018 Hyundai Kona

[​IMG]

The All-New KONA is also said to provide better visibility for drivers with a sport driving dynamic tune.

Additional detail about the 2018 Hyundai KONA will be released shortly with availability scheduled for later this summer.

BillLin and JonNC like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

Jay and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bill:

Thanks for the link!

The std. 175 hp and 195 lb-ft of torque 1.6L I4 is a bit overkill for a B-Segment but hopefully with the 7-speed from the Tucson, it will provide a bit more efficiency than the 2017 Tucson Eco's 26/32 mpg city/highway. We need to see numbers in the mid 30s to compete with the 28/34 mpg rated HR-V as just one major competitor.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

I hope this is Hyundai's answer to the Kia Niro as that dealership is to far for us and in a dangerous neighborhood.

xcel likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

So many great vehicles coming from Hyundai this summer. Can't wait to see the Kona and Elantra GT.

6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Looks like it was spotted in Portugal earlier this month - http://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/new-hyundai-kona-small-crossover-this.html
    It is spun off the i20 platform (Accent/Rio) but likely with i30/35 (Elantra/Veloster) suspension and brakes, as I see 5 lug wheels instead of the 4 lug wheels seen on early development testers.
    If the engine bay stays true to the Accent, then 1.4 or 1.6L fours and 6MT/6AT/7DCT are the likely choices. The can't spend too much on fancy powertrains because MSRP needs to stay in HRV/Trax/CHR/Soul territory. Price it too far into the 20s and people will ignore it and buy a Tucson.

xcel, BillLin and Jay like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Ugh! If those spy shots are really what it looks like, it will go over like a lead balloon.

8. MaxxMPG

The Portugese version is not likely what the US will see, if for no other reason than US DOT lighting requirements limit headlight output to the that of a teenager's birthday cake. We don't get real headlights here.
    The general shape, up to and including the F'Edge greenhouse and eyebrow DRLs stolen off unsold Cherokees, will probably be what we end seeing by early next year.

Jay and xcel like this.
  9. MaxxMPG

Trying to remember where I saw the illuminated eyebrows over real headlights, flanking the tapered grille.
    Ah yes, the Virgil Exner original:

[​IMG]

Everything old is new again...

Jay, xcel and BillLin like this.