Chevy Bolt EV - 238 Mile Range $30K after credit

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by NeilBlanchard, May 11, 2017.

1. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

xcel likes this.
  2. NeilBlanchard

3. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

GM warranties the original battery for 8 years and 100,000 miles and degradation to no less than 60% original capacity . After that, it will cost you around $12,000 (maybe less in 8 years+ time?) for a new pack.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/24285978

/under $200/kwh from an OEM,... THAT is big news.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    xcel likes this.
  4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Neil:

That is a high replacement cost although the $/kWh is indeed big news! And 60 percent degradation? I wonder if they are expecting owners to experience degradation of 70 (< 170 miles) or so percent over that period or miles?

Wayne

5. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Our 2014 Chevy Volt had over 40,000 miles when we traded it in for our current 2016 Volt which we bought in July 2016. The 2014 was purchased in Oct. 2013 and I noticed no degradation at all with the 2014 battery. Range, amount of KWH used did not seem to vary from new. Now we also have a 2010 Prius purchased new in May 2009 with 156,000 miles. No degradation of battery loss or electric range, still appears to be like new. I don't know much about the Bolt but I believe the Volt battery is only used 80% of its full potential. Also charging rate with 240 is only 3.6-3.8 KW's per hour. I 'm sure other know much more about this than me....

6. xcel

Hi Alster:

A friend just replaced a few cells in his 250k mile Gen 3 Prius after a CEL. The pack - Module(s) - degradation ranged from 18 to 35 percent. All electrics have pack degradation. It is if they can make the distance before throwing a CEL or breaching the capacity floor for replacement.

Wayne

7. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Wayne, 250,000 miles is a lot of miles for a Gen 3. I thought I had a lot with 156,000 miles. Looking at a few options out there to replace our Prius. The Ioniq blue, looks a lot better than the Prius, however that drive belt between the gas engine and electric motor seems like a weak point, and the every 75,000 mile belt change could cost enough to make a difference between that and a new Prius. I believe the Kia Niro has the same drive system as well. The Prius has no belts but I still can't get over the looks. I have no idea what the Toyota design engineers were thinking with the design. I know I am not the only person, even other Prius owners, who think the new Prius is, for lack of better words, ugly.

Now the Prius Prime looks better but there is quite of bit of less space because of the battery and only seating for 4, and weighs almost as much as our 2016 Volt.
    Getting back to the Ioniq you would have to believe that Hyundai would have used a different system than a rubber drive belt than has required replacement every 75,000 miles.

In todays world spark plugs last 100,000 miles and exhaust systems now nearly or exceed the life of the car. The rubber toothed engine timing belts seem to have all gone the direction of chain drive to eliminate a broken rubber engine belt that usually leads to engine damage as well when it breaks, not to mention costly replacement every 60,000-100,000 miles as well.

Another car on my short list is the 2017 Chevy Cruze diesel 1.6 turbo engine with a 6 speed manual transmission. Sometimes I miss not driving my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI with its 5 speed manual. Its still in the family having sold it to brother when we bought our 2014 Volt in Oct. 2013. Looks like the Cruze diesel is getting better mpg's than the EPA figures from what I have read.

At least now we have more choices than a few years ago.

xcel likes this.
  8. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

The Bolt might very quietly prove to be the best EV value on the market. They should be marketing to Tesla Model 3 waitlisters.

One of my podcasts is consistently intrigued with the Bolt and proclaims that they might be going after the Über/rideshare/day rental market with this.

xcel likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi JCP:

The Bolt is far to expensive on a TCO basis for an UBER/LYFT solution.

Wayne

jcp123 likes this.
  10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I agree but their argument is chasing volume and ultimately autonomous driving with the Bolt and its successors. Intriguing if speculative, the Bolt strikes me as the most bold move in EVs on the market, regardless.

xcel likes this.
  11. xcel

Hi JCP:

The Bolt is indeed a bold move! Counteracts the Model3 before it arrives.

Wayne

12. NeilBlanchard

We replaced our Nissan Leaf with a Bolt EV. We have had our Bolt EV for about a week and a half. We love it, and so far have charged it twice. I have it set to "hilltop reserve" so it charges to about 85% - this is so the regenerative braking always works the same, and it is very gentle on the battery.

About regen in D - lemme put it this way: my spouse noticed it has more regen in D than our Leaf did. She would definitely prefer it to coast, like our e-Golf does. And she is not an ecodriver. Driving in L is right out.

We fit very comfortably. Seating is upright and the legroom and headroom is outstanding. Entry and exit is the best. Visibility outward is very good. Handling is good. The only slight caveat is the ride is smooth and comfortable - but over some bumps, there is an odd jounce.

The average of all three drivers (and a couple of friends trying it out) is about 4.9 miles / kWh, or well over 300 miles per charge.

Having an EV with this much range is a revelation.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  13. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Congratulations, Neil!

Nice feature. I wish other plug-ins had it...

NeilBlanchard and xcel like this.