More Hybrid Choices Than Ever

Discussion in 'General' started by alster, May 1, 2017.

1. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Today, there are so many hybrids, compared to even 5 years ago. So, which one is the best, and will give you the best bang for your hard earned buck.

Wayne does a great job in testing the hybrids and other cars to achieve the most mpg's. I have a 2010 Prius pushing 155,000 miles, which was my wife's car when we bought brand new in May 2009, she now has a 2016 Volt as her daily driver. I plan on replacing the Prius, which has been a dependable, fuel efficient car, 50+ overall mpg average, of course less in winter, 43-48 mpg, to 55 + mpg in summer. Calculated of course the computer is always off about 7% or so overstating the mpg, 50 mpg on the computer read out is really closer to 46-47 mpg when calculated.

I like the looks of the Ioniq over that of the Prius, or the Prius Prime. The Prius Prime lacks the storage area and the 5th seat. The Ioniq Blue Drive, the base model with an EPA of 58 mpg, was at the top of my personal list but so little info on the Ioniq, especially the Blue Drive.

From Wayne's review it looks like the Ioniq did not meet or beat the Prius in mpg's, as it should of, of course based on the EPA.

As far as price the Ioniq Blue Drive is the lowest price I believe for any hybrid, except for the Prius C, which, in my opinion, is not that fuel efficient, as the heavier, larger, more horsepower, Prius, achieves more mpg's than the little Prius C, and is more comfortable as well. I would imagine you will not see a 2018 Prius C, in the current configuration, for sale with the 2018 model year.

The good part, is that its nice to have choices. There was a time two hybrids were available, Toyota Prius, and the Honda Civic. How times have changed.

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Yup . that's been my experience after watching every tank for the last two years (45+K miles ). And that's about the only negative thing I can say about the car. It's HARD to go wrong with a Toyota hybrid.

Don't discount the Prius c. Remember the amazing results Wayne go with it ? It may be a bit small for some folks, but there are times ( when parking in the city) that I wish I had bought the c instead of the Liftback.
    Ultimately , I went with a car that could swallow my bicycle without any disassembly.

I don't know if they will discontinue the c , or replace it. Remember how long they sold the Yaris ? Still selling the same car ten years later ! Well, a handful of them, anyway.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I completely agree about how good it is to have hybrid choices. When my sister was shopping for a hybrid just two years ago, she didn't like the syling of the Prii so that left only fairly large cars: the hybrid Sonata, Camry, and Accord. We now have more compact hybrids, a hybrid SUV, and a hybrid CUV (or hatch, if you will).

xcel likes this.
  4. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

I cannot speak to a Prius liftback being more comfortable than a Prius C, as i do not have one.
    However, i CAN speak to the economy of the Prius C, and it is very fuel efficient. I have owned my 2014 since the end of October 2016. So almost all of my driving with it to date has been in cold/winter Western PA weather. My average MPG since i bought the car is currently sitting at 55.6(calculated). On a few commutes where we had some unseasonable warm weather the Fcd registered my trip MPG well over 70MPG (29.1 mile commute to work each way.) I see no reason that my summertime Avg MPG shouldn't be in the mid 60's or higher as i become more accustomed to my car.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

The c is fantastic , but maybe alster was referring to the lower EPA highway number for the c (compared to the Liftback). That's part of the reason I bought the Liftback , as 23 miles of my one-way commute is highway. I'm still not sure which would be better. My highway use is never over 55 mph UNLESS the fcd is 75mpg or higher. Then I might sometimes hit 65-68 MPH. Yes , we have hills in Illinois , lol.

BillLin likes this.
  6. Blackbelt

My commute to work this morning, 29.1 miles.

73.jpg

xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I am going to post this as a Hot Deal in a few minutes but it is also imho safe to purchase a Niro with the discounts being applied now. Click the image for the dealership details...

[​IMG]

The EX adds just the right equipment over and above the FE and LX to make it more consumer friendly over the long haul. The additions are shown below.

2017 Kia Niro EX -- Exterior

Front fog lights
    LED DRLs
    Power folding heated outside mirrors with integrated turn signals
    Roof rails (LX has them as well and I would remove them ;))

2017 Kia Niro EX -- Interior

Cloth and leather seat trim
    Heated front seats
    Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob <-- Worth their weight in gold!
    Piano Black upper console
    USB charger in front console arm rest and dash
    Cargo cover
    Rear center arm rest with cup holder (LX has this also)
    Satin Chrome interior handles
    Rear A/C vent
    Power windows with Fronts Auto Up/Down

2017 Kia Niro EX -- Safety

Blind Spot Detection System (BSD)
    Lane Change Assist
    Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)

At this price, it is the definition of a Hot Deal!

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  8. Blackbelt

Damn thats a smokin deal!

xcel likes this.