Kia Niro not coming close to highway MPG expectations

Discussion in 'General' started by FireEngineer, Apr 25, 2017.

1. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Well-Known Member

Based in part on Wayne's record drive, I bought a Kia Niro EX w/tech pkg. The car is easy to exceed the EPA in the city, it likes to use that battery. But I find the highway MPG troubling.

From the World Record run thread;

"Under normal driving, try and keep the iFCD pegged at a solid peak of 60 mpg - despite going up to 75 mpg which only pegs during pure EV - while the ICE is running. If you can use just 1/4 of the available power within the Green "ECO power" zone just above the Charge Zone on the far left Power meter, you will see this 60 mpg on the instantaneous Fuel Consumption DIsplay (iFCD). Do this and the Niro will skip the pump like nothing you may have ever driven before."

Well I have done this for hundreds of miles of highways in both Illinois and Indiana. My result is the aFCD shows me LOSING mpg by holding a steady state with the iFCD at 60-65mpg and the power meter at 1/4 green. So, to get any decent highway mpg, I have to basically keep an even speed and let the battery charge up to 3-4 pips past 50% and then get the battery to drive the car until it depletes to 2-3 pips under 50%. Has anyone else seen or heard of this behavior.

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

What mpg numbers are you getting?

3. FireEngineer

If I work the Niro I can see anywhere from 45-54MPG. Whatever number I have, when I do a high-over 50mpg-steady state on the iFCD, I lose mpg on the aFCD at a steady rate as long as I hold the iFCD above 50mpg.

4. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

The average consumption display decreases to below 50 mpg, even while you are holding the average display above 50? That's pretty weird, it doesn't make sense mathematically.

RedylC94 likes this.
  5. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

?? That would make sense only if the the average was higher than the present instantaneous mpg, due to earlier, higher-mpg travel that brought the average up even higher.

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Your actual mpg measured at the pump matches the aFCD?

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi FireEngineer:
    Yes, you have to allow the Battery to charge up to 3 to 4 pips above 50 percent and deplete under EV to 2 to 3-pips under 50 percent. That is the way the Hyundai/Kia system works.

When you are driving with the ICE running during the charging phase, if you can keep the iFCD at 60 mpg and your power meter in the Eco green area, your overall will be higher with the average climbing into the 60s + mpg.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. FireEngineer

It is very close, usually a few tenths MPG apart.

As I said, I have kept the iFCD and the ECO meter at the areas you have suggested, but I'm not seeing the average MPG at the end of a long 200-300 mile highway run get above 54mpg. Whatever base mpg I build during the short trip from the gas station to the highway, is slowly eroded during the highway drive with the end mpg never surpassing 54mpg. Frustrating to see average mpg go down when your iFCD says you are doing a consistant 60mpg.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I hear you... It doesn't take too much 40 mpgish (or lower!) charging mode to knock your average down if you don't get to those 60+ periods quickly with the engine running. I saw that with the Prime but I wasn't really trying to keep up numbers, just enjoying the ride... The same happens with the C-MAX, only it likes charging in the 20's! :eek: Pulse and glide at higher and higher speeds seems to be a strategy being used by many newer hybrids to allow for our need to get places quickly.

xcel likes this.
  10. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Fireengineer:

Sorry to hear that. If you can keep the iFCD at 60 during the engine running phase, you should and we were well above 60 mpg for the cycle. Just above 60 was where the iFCD would peak during the engine on phase no matter how gentle you were driving but you knew under very low load you were doing well above 70 and the aFCD would climb accordingly. It is exactly the way Bob and I were driving to achiever the 76.x mpg crossing.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.