The Beater Echo

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by jcp123, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I took these pictures as it left me - I had really never bothered to photograph the car. It gave me the last 5 years and 70k miles of its life, but I think you can see why I gave up after its radiator cracked at 263k miles. Still, what a wonderful low-$ machine it was. I'll miss this plucky little machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BillLin likes this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Awww. I understand the sentiment completely. I had knots in my stomach as I drove to the dealer to trade my perfectly good '93 Honda Civic Si. I had it for 7 years and 150kmi and traded it for my current Acura RSX. Why am I doing this? I kept asking. Now I have 195kmi on the RSX after 15 years. A broken windshield would total the car, I suppose, but I still love it. Why do I even look at other cars?

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I felt like that when my 89 Civic Si died, too.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

And when I traded my 96 DX, the 4-door version of JCP's new car. I still miss that car.

5. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Yeah, I won't soon forget this car. What's funny is that I'm the sentimental one here. My in-laws bought this car brand new in Los Angeles, and it was their first new car. My wife had been given this car by the time I met her, so it's been around her in some way for over half her life. And yet, she had been encouraging me to replace it for the last year or so!

6. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

When you have a good one, stick with it. RSXs are neat. There seemed to be a lot of them for sale for a little while when I was shopping. They were within my $3k budget but more than I spent for what I ended up getting and none quite as clean. But what you describe is kind of why I rode the Echo out until its time.