March 2017 U.S. Auto Sales

Discussion in 'General' started by xcel, Apr 7, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I am creating a placeholder for the overall results before posting the individual OEM sales results.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Items of Note: In January and now March, the Fusion Hybrid outsold Prius. YTD sales of the Prius (15,769) are still ahead of the Fusion Hybrid (15,660) by just 109 vehicles. This is turning out to be quite the horse race with both jockeying back and forth for the monthly sales lead. The Prius has not felt this kind of sales pressure ever.

The Kia Niro, now in its second full month of sales reached 2,704 new owners and continues to be the 4th bestselling hybrid in the country. The sales totals appear to be accelerating over and above the 2,143 sold last month and I suspect it will top out near 3 to 3.5k/month mark with incentives beginning to be offered in earnest and for the first time in March.

Ioniq is just now reaching Hyundai dealerships so we will be watching that one closely with April being its first full month of sales.

U.S. March 2017 Sales vs. March 2016 Sales Ranks and Results for the top 18 Automobile Manufacturers

GM March 2017 Sales Up 1.6% with 256,224 Vehicles sold
    Ford March 2017 Sales Down 7.2% with 236,250 Vehicles sold
    Toyota March 2017 Sales Down 2.1% with 215,224 Vehicles sold
    FCA March 2017 Sales Down 4.6% with 190,254 Vehicles sold
    Nissan March 2017 Sales Up 3.2% with 168,832 Vehicles sold
    Honda March 2017 Sales Down 0.4% with 137,227 Vehicles sold
    Hyundai March 2017 Sales were down 8.0% with 69,265 Vehicles sold
    Subaru March 2017 Sales Up 11.3% with 54,871 Vehicles sold
    Kia March 2017 Sales Down 15.2% with 49,429 Vehicles Sold
    BMW March 2017 Sales Up 3.5% with 36,002 Vehicles sold
    Mercedes-Benz March 2017 Sales Up 2.0% with 32,352 Vehicles Sold
    VW March 2017 Sales Up 2.7% with 27,635 Vehicles sold
    Mazda March 2017 Sales Up 4.9% with 24,549 Vehicles sold
    Audi March 2017 Sales Up 1.7% with 18,705 Vehicles sold
    Jaguar/Land Rover March 2017 Sales Up 18.9% with 12,918 Vehicles sold
    Mitsubishi March 2017 Sales Up 6.2% with 11,766 Vehicles sold
    Volvo March 2017 Sales Down 21.9% with 5,356 Vehicles sold
    Porsche March 2017 Sales Up 3.6% with 4,479 Vehicles sold

In March, BMW moved up two spots to 10th ahead of both VW and MB. Jaguar/Land Rover moved ahead of Mitsubishi to take the 15th spot.

In terms of Market Share, GM was a clear winner in March with a 0.9 percent gain over March of 2016. FCA was down 1.0 percent, Nissan was up 0.7 percent.

Regarding segment sales totals, F-Series outsold GM’s Silverado, Sierra, Colorado, and Canyon combined. Ram also outsold Silverado.

March light vehicle SAAR (seasonally-adjusted annual rate) was 14 million in March although March 2017 sales (1.54 million) were off 0.05 million vs. March of 2016 sales (1.59 million). The seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) for light vehicles was approximately 14.0 million vehicles. YTD industry sales of 4.00 million is down 0.05 million form the 4.05 million sold through the same period of 2016 with the same number of selling days. It is clear that short term sales have peaked. With incentives piling on across the industry, where we go from here is anyone’s guess.

Wayne

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

Hi All:

I added the segment ranks. Some interesting trends are appearing.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

The Bolt isn't doing well... Can't see Tesla's numbers, but I can't imagine the Bolt will be competitive with the Model 3 when it comes out unless Chevy ramps up more quickly.

4. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Hyundai Sonata sales down by almost half. But they're not giving up without a fight. Cash on the hood for the Limited and turbo models of $6k ($6750 if financed through HMFC). With almost $7k off, and getting the car anywhere near invoice and then applying that incentive, a 2017 Sonata Limited would cost about the same as what I paid for my '11 Sonata GLS M/T - seven years ago! Adding in that Hyundai seats are about the best in the business for comfort, and I have to start to wonder if I should pick one up to use as a winter car for my wife.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. BillLin

My wife and I are going to see if we can give the Prius Prime sales a bump. Or maybe some other plug-in some months later.

xcel likes this.
  6. xcel

Hi Bill:

Regarding the Bolt, it received a ton of press but $37k minus the deals for a B/C segment car with just 238 miles of range.

Sometimes the Automotive Press is dead on. And in many cases, they are so far off the mark I have to wonder if they have driven the particular vehicle. I say this wondering would the individual journalist voting the Bolt as their Number One buy one? In 99.9 percent of the cases, that answer is no. So they go ahead and vote it their number one anyway??? As a BEV, it the Bolt is solid given the range and performance but as an automobile, $37.5k for a slightly larger Sonic with just 238 miles of AER? Add a few items and you breach $40k.

And the Prime choice? It is really good as you know. The white interior pieces, the no knob 11.6" portrait screen, lack of proper displays, seat comfort, sunvisor, and interior plastics are suspect but the price, drivetrain, and even exterior looks vs. the Gen 4 Prius make it a Best Buy in the segment imho. If you can wait a few months, even better deals should be on the horizon.

I added the Top 17 OEM March Sales overview to the OP.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

I added Market share, March industry sales totals, SAAR, and segment comparison discussion above.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. BillLin

I read something this morning related to price moves at Toyota and lowering the cost of getting into a Prius. Is that what you're referring to? New Prius One trim at a lower entry point to compete with Ioniq. And the article also mentioned safety tech upgrades at no additional cost for the whole line. I like the sound of that!

I'm almost there on the Prime already, though. Specific VIN picked out and being acquired by the dealership now. Hard to resist a Prime Advanced ($34k+ msrp) selling for below $30k, and I'm expecting another $6k later in Fed/MA incentives. And, um... my Crosstrek goes to the next lucky person as a trade-in. I found I don't drive that Crosstrek much and don't need the added security of AWD. My 2012 PIP is still my daily driver. Wife gets the Prime. :) And all she wanted was the heated steering wheel!

Edit: and the blue magnetism color that's a close match to her business logo color. :)

xcel likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi Bill:

Great reply! The GCRs piece spoke about the Gen-4 Prius-one but nobody will buy the one just as they did not buy the Gen-III one. The advanced safety and accident avoidance HW is standard across the Prius lineup for 2017 as well. Toyota will have to compete with Ioniq going forward but the Ioniq is not the vehicle that created the severe Gen 4 Prius sales fall off over the past 6+ months. The Gen 4 Prius - not the Prime - designers did not do the icon any favors with the peculiar front and rear end exterior design plus gloss white inserts scattered piecemeal throughout the interior.

Fortunately the Prius Prime looks much better and the price after the deals is Fed and State giveaways! I am so glad you have one on order and will be letting go of the Crosstrek. I know you will not be disappointed either. :D

2017 Hyundai Elantra Eco

[​IMG]
    A test dive at Hyundai of Escondido earlier today.​

I visited a Hyundai dealership in Escondido, Calif. this afternoon with Marian, my son and his GF. She was test driving the 17 Elantra ECO while receiving a $30 Test Drive Amazon gift card(s). Three of us picked them up in fact. The Elantra Eco is her first choice for a sedan but she really wants a CUV. To bad as all CUVs are taller hatches derived from the same compact platforms that cost far more than the build cost and they burn a hell of a lot more fuel too. :(

She will be adding $1k to a BoostUp account in order to take $500 off whatever Hyundai she purchases after 30-days. She spoke of the Tucson, Rogue and RAV4 as her choices as well. $14k + TTL vs. $20 to $30k + TTL. :(

Wayne

ALS and BillLin like this.
  10. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Wayne,

I agree with the point that most people that wouldn't buy a third Gen sure as hell aren't going to buy a fourth Gen. Around me there are lot of fourth Gens running around. The thing is Prii are popular in western Pa., I see at least one or two fourth Gens everyday. You can't drive more than a couple minutes with out passing more than a few 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Gen Prii. The only reason I'm not buying a forth Gen is because I only have 67K miles on my 2010.

Al

xcel and BillLin like this.