Scanguage - Tank Size v. Usable Gas in Tank

Discussion in 'ScanGauge' started by USAFsarge, Mar 28, 2017.

1. USAFsarge

USAFsarge New Member

I tried searching for a thread that had some advice, but didn't find any.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic HX with a 14 gallon tank. I have dared to use only 12 gallons before filling up. The needle has dipped below "E," and am thus discouraged to drive any more miles before re-fueling. The last 2 gallons appear to be unusable.

I just bought a Scanguage II, and am wondering what to enter into it regarding gas tank fuel size, because of not being able to use all 14 gallons. Should I enter 14, or only what I believe to be the portion of the tank that is usable.

Thank you for any help you can give.

BillLin likes this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The internets tell me a 2000 Civic HX has a fuel tank capacity of 11.9 gallons. That's the value I'd put in the scan gauge.

BillLin likes this.
  3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

The tank size is only used to base the DTE calculation. Personally, on my vehicles, I enter the tank size as one gallon less than the published capacity. It still shows more miles to empty than my dashboard display.

BillLin and PaleMelanesian like this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

It really doesn't matter what you put in there. Like 08Escape said, it only affects that one display. I never look at that anyway.

Now, I drove a 96 Civic for years so I can share some useful details. There is right about 1 gallon of fuel left once the light comes on. Does your low fuel light fade in and out for a bit? Counting from where it's on more than half the time, that's when you have a gallon left. So you have 30-50 miles left depending on your mpg.

BillLin likes this.