Week of March 20 to March 26 (Nat’l Avg $2.292)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price has drifted marginally lower to $2.292 (-0.6¢ since last week) - this time last year it was $1.982 so it's 15.6% (+31¢) more expensive.
    Diesel is also down a touch at $2.511 (-0.9¢). It's now 20.5% (+42.8¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is at a 9.6% premium to regular.

No commute for me this week - car pooling :cool:

BillLin likes this.
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'm back. Drove from Texas to North Carolina and back in the Odyssey. Loaded pretty heavy since we are 6 people and we did camping on the way there. Managed 23-25 mpg with the focus on 2/3 speed and 1/3 mpg.

55.7 mpg / 11.5 mi to school and work this morning.
    Tank 51.1 / 193 mi.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

thanks Gord for starting the thread again.
    Welcome back Andrew.

Friday:
    64.9 / 12.9 miles (74F WNW@10)
    FCD = 56.0 (+0.3)

then had the wife drop me off at the local U-Haul to get a truck to move some stuff to storage for now while we try and prep the house to sell.
    Drove the 15 Foot Ford F350 home and loaded it then drove to the storage area and unloaded in about 2 hours. Drove it home and loaded a bunch of stuff for the recyclers in to drop off Saturday morning.
    Went by one recycler business and they were closed so I went to the city recycling yard and and unloaded most of the stuff and one old monitor for $10. They don't take Styrofoam anymore. :mad: (EPA ?#@!, how are we supposed to get rid of this stuff when manufacturers still use it.)
    Drove back to U-haul to drop off. I put 14.6 miles on it and put in 2 gals for fuel so it was back to about the same place. They had a vacuum gauge for 'fuel economy' on the pillar of the truck. At least they are offering that.

This morning (No school this week)
    -59.3 / 13.0 miles (66F S@12)
    FCD = 56.2 (+0.2)

tank:
    6.87 gals converted
    375.5 miles
    F_____|/*****E

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today . 35 deg F , wind NNW4. 35.1 miles , 59.43 MPG. Filled up yesterday : 535.9 miles / 9.236 gallons = 58.02 MPG. fcd = 62.1 $2.399/gallon for the finest E10 corn squeezin's in Illinois.

BillLin likes this.
  5. PaleMelanesian

Summer here, on the "first day of spring". Whoever names these things clearly lives in not-texas. 87F (30C)

53.0 / 5.3 - home
    55.3 / 11.5 - school and work, 60F this morning

Tank is up 2 tenths to 51.3 / 220 mi.
    F__==|====E

6. Die2self

so I guess the seasons in Texas are as follows: Summer (spring), Extra Hot Summer (summer), Summer again (fall), spring (winter)? :D

last night:
    61.7 / 12.9 miles (85F SW@10) yep it was hot here too.
    FCD = 56.4 (+0.2)

this morning with NO school
    52.1 / 13.1 miles (59F ENE@8) Hail storms in the area.
    FCD = 56.3 (-0.1)

Tank:
    7.34 gals converted
    401.3 miles
    F_____|/*****E (about 2 needle widths below 1/2)

7. PaleMelanesian

Yeah that's just barely short of our high Jason.

I should call this season POLLEN though. Kids drew smiley faces on my car this morning, just using the overnight pollen.

8. PaleMelanesian

Warm here again, but this time I parked in the shade! Hahaha! The drive home was pleasant.

52.7 / 5.4 - home
    52.3 / 11.4 - school and work

Tank is up a tenth to 51.4 / 237 and right at 3/4 full.
    F__==|====E

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

Our first day of spring was lovely. Today ( 5:00 AM ) it's 28 deg , wind NE17 (headwind ALL the way in ). 35.1 miles , 53.47 MPG ( and lucky to get that number ). Tank is at 174.1 miles , 59.52 MPG.

10. Die2self

yes POLLEN. :mad:

last night:
    65.9 / 12.8 miles (58F NE@17 gusting to 30)
    FCD = 56.6 (+0.3)

this morning with no school
    48.6 / 13.0 miles (48F ENE@10)
    FCD = 56.4 (-0.2)

tank:
    7.80 gals converted
    427.0 miles
    F_____|_****E

11. PaleMelanesian

Jason, your school must be RIGHT on your route. Mine since last year is nearly double the distance. In to the middle of town, then back out to the edge for work.

Home for lunch. Temps in the 70's.
    53.9 / 5.2 - home
    70.6 / 5.4 - back to work. Looking forward to doing this all summer! :D

Tank is up to 51.8 / 248 mi.
    F__==|====E

12. PaleMelanesian

Home last night, 51.7 mpg / 5.4 mi.
    School and work this morning, 52.6 / 11.5.

Tank steady at 51.8 / 265 mi.
    F__==|====E

13. Die2self

I can make it on my way. Otherwise I go the way I am now that doesn't go by the school. either way I have end up near the same place on the other side of town so either way it is off by a 0.1 mile. works out nice that way. The other child rides the bus to middle school.

last night:l
    63.1 / 12.9 miles (57F ESE@13) a strong cross wind was hampering the glides
    FCD = 56.5 (+0.1)

this morning with no school again:
    55.3 / 13.1 miles (52F SE@12)
    FCD = 56.6 (+0.1)

tank:
    8.25 gals converted
    452.7 miles
    F_____|__\***E

14. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Still no driving for me but had a walk to local Hyundai dealer near work to get a touch up paint for my mother's i10 and spotted my first Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid. Quite like the look of it, prefer it to new Prius and it has a proper dual clutch auto not a CVT - fantastic!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Die2self and BillLin like this.
  15. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

I'd agree about the styling, but wouldn't bet on the dual clutch to beat a Toyota e-CVT for durability.

16. EdwinTheMagnificent

I have to admit I sometimes miss the sound of engine revs climbing and falling as it (you) go thru the gears. Heck , I rarely even HEAR my engine , unless something goes wrong and I go above 2000 RPM. But meanwhile , I'll enjoy the bulletproof reliabilty of my Toyota e-CVT. Today , 48 deg F , wind S9. 35.2 miles , 64.08 MPG. Tank is at 314.0 miles , 60.17 MPG. I still have a dream about a Civic or Golf with a manual trans as a weekend/highway car.

17. Die2self

last night:
    60.8 / 12.9 miles (76F S@21 gusting to 35 - strong head wind)
    FCD = 56.7 (+0.1)

this morning - last day of no school drop off
    59.8 / 13.0 miles (66F S@17 gusting to 30 - nice tail wind and Currier of storms and pollen from TX.)
    FCD = 56.7 (=)

tank:
    8.68 gals converted
    478.5 miles
    F_____|___\**E (1/4 of a tank left)

18. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Really? Owning a Prius causes me to wax nostalgic about many aspects of my former cars, but that's not one of them. "The sound of engine revs climbing and falling" during acceleration as a transmission (whether manual or automatic) with fixed ratios attempts to approximate the best* ratio has no advantage I can hear over the sound of engine revs holding steady as a CVT or e-CVT adjusts ratios appropriately. I dunno why people get so sentimentally attached to hearing abrupt ratio changes. (That's all ignoring other potential issues of durability, efficiency, etc.)

* "Best ratio" in this context means the ratio that yields the requested level of power with minimum fuel flow rate ...

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

I admit , it's a purely sentimental thing. I also miss the instant response of a manual transmission car. No delay , no mush. Just thrust.

PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  20. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2016 Crosstrek, 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi

I suspect that is due in large part to the eco setting. Have you ever stomped on the Prius accelerator? When you need to, it goes, regardless of eco setting. The electric motor helps, too.