Refreshed 2018 Sonata Revealed in Korea

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 18, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Modified interior/exterior, latest safety equipment, and an all-new 8-speed AT for the 2.0T.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Mar. 8, 2017

2018 Hyundai Sonata – Pricing and EPA TBA.

In front of a small gathering of Korean journalists, Hyundai unveiled its refreshed 2018 Sonata reflecting the brands latest design language.

2018 Hyundai Sonata Exterior

Up front, a 4 deep feature line hood flow towards a new larger grille and larger flying H logo. Vertical LED DRLs underpin slimmer headlamps topped off by chrome trim running to the profiles beltline. A chrome or piano black trimmed lower chin spoiler is also standard.

From the profile, a full chrome daylight opening surround, and new 17” directional spoked alloys are standard with two new 18” alloys available.

Like the front, outback a new larger Flying H logo is centered in the trunk lid with the top of the badge housing the truck release button.

The 2.0T receives a mesh radiator grille with black bezel headlamps, black DRL surrounds, black lower front bumper and black side mirror casings.

Other enhancements for the Turbo model include dark chrome molding for the lower side body, door handles and rear lamp molding. The rear diffuser and dual exhaust mufflers are also adorned with chrome.

The wheelbase, length, width and height remain the same as the 2017 MY Sonata.

2018 Hyundai Sonata

[​IMG]

2018 Hyundai Sonata Interior

Inside the new Sonata, the center console includes revised audio and HVAC controls with ‘piano key’ buttons. A 7” touchscreen display comes as standard with an 8” display and system including NAVI continues to be an option.

All trims receive new wheels with a three-spoke design. The 2.0 Turbo receives a flat-bottomed wheel. I like 4 spoke designs better as it provides an opening to hold onto the bottom of the wheel with one hand.

The Turbo also receives more aggressively bolstered front seats - not a fan in most instances - and a gear selector with four drive modes – Comfort, Eco, Sport and Smart.

Sorry I do not have any interior pics.

2018 Hyundai Sonata Drivetrain

Hyundai made no mention of the current and somewhat antiquated 185 hp and 178 lb-ft. of torque 2.4L being offered in the base trim for Korea so it remains to be seen if that engine survives into the 2018 MY here in the U.S. A 178 hp and 195 lb-ft. of torque 1.6-T matching the current Eco trim appears to be the standard base engine with a 245 hp and 260 lb-ft. of torque 2.0-T but mated to an all-new 8-speed AT being offered. This also matches the current 2.0Ts output.

I am not sure if the 7-speed DCT from the current ECO drivetrain will be the standard AT for the base model or not just yet.

2018 Hyundai Sonata Infotainment

Along with the 7 and 8” displays screens mentioned above, an additional USB charge port has been added for rear seat passengers at the back of the center console. Wireless Qi smartphone charging is available. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are also standard.

2018 Hyundai Sonata Safety

Hyundai will be offering the works with Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keep Assist, High Beam Assist, Dynamic Bending Lights - also added for the 2017 MY, and Blind Spot Detection w/ Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.

The refreshed 2018 Hyundai Sonata will be available by summer.

JonNC likes this.