Ford’s Pot-O-Gold at the End of the EV Rainbow

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 18, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 115 miles AER, up from just 76 miles over the 2016 MY offering.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Mar. 17, 2017

2018 Ford Focus Electric – EPA all-electric range (AER) of 115 miles and an EPA-estimated 118/96/107 MPGe city/highway/combined. This is up the aforementioned 42 miles spelled out above over the 2016 MY and up 8 MPGe city, down 3 MPGe highway, and up 2 MPGe combined over the 2017 model.

For Saint Patrick’s Day, Ford issued a release spelling out new specs and a cool green color for the 2018 Focus Electric.

The car’s battery is now 33.5 kWh, 43 percent greater than the 23 kWh unit in the 2016 Focus Electric. The larger pack was installed in the same space yielding the same 14 cu .ft. of cargo volume as the 2016 MY.

The 2018 Focus Electric arrives with an all-new SAE DC fast-charge, capable of delivering 75 miles of range in 30 minutes when using a charger capable of delivering 150 amps. The 2017 Ford Focus Electric can also be charged from both a 120V outlet or 240V charger.

Good stuff #Ford. #Focus #FocusElectric

BillLin likes this.
  2. alster

alster Well-Known Member

The Ford Focus Electric way behind in technology. If an electric car is not getting over 200 miles on a charge there probably will not be many buyers waiting in line to buy one. At least not me. The Chevy Bolt already has it beat by over 100 miles. Ford should have held off until they had a real contender for the Bolt. The Ford Focus Electric just proves to GM they are the leaders in an electric vehicle in the grasp of most families budgets....

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

115 miles is plenty for a lot of folks. Especially if the price is right. If it drives as well as the e-Golf , I would want one.

4. alster

alster Well-Known Member

115 miles may be fine for those who live in or near a big city. Here in Seaside Oregon we are about a 170 mile round trip to the general Portland Oregon area, and about 140 mile round trip to the Longview / Kelso, Washington State area. So unless you had a way to charge for the trip on the way back you would be out of luck. The Chevy Bolt could easily make both round trips without the worry of charging up along the way. So if we did have the Ford electric we would still have to take our 2016 Volt or our 2010 Prius to make those trips...

5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I dunno ...

I think the mainstream practicality of "fully capable" BEV's has yet to be seen, .. and remains questionable for the future. If you're putting in 200+ mile batteries then I would say the batteries HAVE TO last the life of the car (minimum of 70% at 15 years and 180,000 miles (approx)). If you're making a 'city car' BEV (i.e , .. like this Ford Focus BEV) then I think you could make the case for 1 battery replacement at the mid life of the car.

I could run the numbers for my point in different ways, .. but for simplicity:

- A fully highway capable BEV is going to need a minimum of 60 kwh of battery**
    - I just don't see a replacement battery coming in at less than $200/ kwh (all in)
    - $12,000+ is too steep for a mid-term replacement cost, ... and it's probably too risky for most folks to carry a "one time brick" risk if something goes wrong with the charging/battery management system.

I see a place for lightweight, efficient, city car BEV's. But for highway capable cars ....

....I dunno.

/** even with 60kwh battery, I think the Bolt is borderline highway capable, especially until we see high power charging stations every 20 miles or so on the highway, ... and that could be many years out

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. alster

alster Well-Known Member

The price per KWH for new propulsion batteries will come down. They already have if you look back to 2010. Just like computers they will be smaller, lighter, with more energy per pound.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

It is tricky to compare computer technology, i.e. chips, with battery technology. Different rates of improvement. Both do not follow Moore's Law.

Carcus, RedylC94 and xcel like this.
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I consider Tesla batteries to be about as good as they get , ... here's some interesting info, from a Tesla rep (so we're told):

"2) battery degradation is non-linear over time; meaning it starts very very slow, but after 4-5 years, it gets faster
    3) after the first 5 years, degradation may be as low as 5%. But by the 8th year, they expect about 30% degradation."

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-lif...will-there-be-a-replacement-plan-of-some-sort

We don't have much 4-5 year data , but it's getting closer:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/t024bMoRiDPIDialGnuKPsg/edit#gid=1669966328

/add, Tesla didn't really start selling the Model S in volume until Q1 2013, so we should start seeing more 4-5 year battery info at the end of this year and into 2018.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

With most households having more than one car, BEVs don't have to be "fully capable" to have an impact. A hundred miles of range is plenty of range for my 60 mile, round trip commute, even with the real winters here. Another hundred miles would be nice, but you have to pay for it. The Focus EV and Ioniq Electric both start at under $30k. The $7500+ more for a Bolt can easily make it a non-option in many buyers.