Honda Accord Hybrid No Good In Cold Weather?

Discussion in 'General' started by seftonm, Mar 9, 2017.

1. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

A relative was looking at a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid but was told by the salesperson that it would not be a good car for our prairie winters. Mainly that it would be hard to start in cold (-40 degree) weather, and that the battery may be damaged if the car is unused for more than a week. So now the Accord Hybrid is off the shopping list. Is there any truth to this or is the dealer full of it? Most hybrids that I am familiar with use the high voltage battery to start the engine, so I was surprised to hear the dealer say that it may be difficult to start.

Screenshot_20170309-153937.png

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Minus 40 would make most vehicles hard to start, regardless of battery type, right? I would think the salesperson full of it without written documentation saying so from the manufacturer.

xcel likes this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mike:

I have not heard that one before. I will send a note out to Honda PR and maybe receive some clarification before she works much further down her short list.

Wayne

BillLin and seftonm like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Believe about 5% of what the dealer tells you. Believe what the Honda owner's manual tells you. In Honda we trust. Dealerships ? Not so much.

ALS and BillLin like this.
  5. xcel

Hi Mike:

I am still waiting to hear back from Honda Environmental Communications lead about the Accord Hybrid low temperature limits. She is still looking into it.
    In that same reply, I did receive confirmation about the Clarity Electric having just 80-miles of range. To bad is that is non-starter given competitors all-electric ranges today and in the very near future.

Wayne

seftonm and BillLin like this.
  6. xcel

Hi Mike:

Better late than never. I received a reply from Honda about this. There is really no problem with cold weather other than the std. ICE cold weather starting issues.
    Talk about a killer reply!!! I thanked her for digging into this as deeply as she did.

Wayne

7. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Thanks, Wayne!!

kbergene, BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. xcel

Hi Mike:

You bet.

Wayne

9. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I was at the Volvo dealer mid nineties and over heard a customer complaining to a salesman on how bad his new 850 was in the snow. He said his old rear wheel drive 760 had no issues in the snow. I jumped in and asked did he have snow tires on his new 850? He replied no, the sales person who sold him the car told him that being the car was a front wheel drive he wouldn't need snow tires. That's the problem you need to run four snows on it.

Most and I mean 90% or better of the automobile salespeople out there have minimal knowledge of the product they are selling.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

To mitigate prairie winters: get and use the block heater. And if the car's sitting for a week at a time, use a decent smart charger for the 12 volt battery, one that can left on indefinitely. This would apply to any vehicle.

kbergene, xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

ALL vehicles have lower efficiency in cold weather.

xcel likes this.