Honda’s Clarity PHEV to offer 40+ Miles of All-Electric Range

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 9, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Early reports of a short 80-mile only Clarity BEV are correct.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Mar. 8, 2017

2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, FCV and BEV

At the upcoming 2017 NY Auto Show (NYIAS) in April, Honda will formally introduce their all-new Clarity five-passenger midsize sedan as a PHEV and BEV.

Within the release, Honda expects upwards of two-thirds of its global auto sales to be built around an electrified platform by 2030. While just touching the electrified automotive space from 2000 forward with the original and second gen Insight, Civic HEVs, Accord HEVs, and CR-Z. Moving forward, the redesigned and refreshed Accord HEV leads the midsize segments efficiency ranking and the brand is not turning back.

The Clarity also includes a Display Audio system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and standard Honda Sensing safety and driver-assistive technologies.

The Clarity Electric will be the first affordable, midsize, five-passenger battery electric vehicle (BEV). The third vehicle in the Clarity series, the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid, will launch in all 50 states and will be the volume leader in the series, combining an all-electric driving range rating in excess of 40 miles with a very-efficient gasoline-hybrid extended range mode.

All I can add until the reveal in NY next month is, #Honda #Clarity PHEV-40+, “Bring it on!” :D

NeilBlanchard and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Isn't "Clarity" the name they use(d) for their (compliance) fuel-cell car ? That could be a little confusing.

But it's good to see Honda competing with Toyota and Hyundai/Kia in the PHEV market. Can they beat the Ioniq's numbers ?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Yes same name since it's based on same Clarity model. I do hope though they'll tone it down bit more. Bit too futuristic looking for my taste.
    With 40+ mile for the PHEV the 80 mi EV becomes pretty uninteresting. EV is probably not meant to sell well:).

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

A 40 mile range PHEV would be great for many people. With my current commute , a Volt could almost do a whole day on a charge (68-70 miles).
    But I most likely will have a much shorter drive by the time I "need" a car. My Prius now has about 42K miles in 23 months.

5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

If the Clarity Electric has a range of at least 125 miles, then that is considerably better than just 80 miles. If it is 200+, then that is fantastic.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

HI All:

Yup. the Clarity Electric is an 80-mile range BEV.

BillLin likes this.
  7. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Well, that is disappointing. Very disappointing.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Honda is simply saying " We choose to NOT be a serious competitor in the BEV market. "

NeilBlanchard, xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Unless the Clarity BEV happens to be priced like an equivalent ICE Accord.

I'm not placing odds on that though.

xcel likes this.