2017 Chicago Auto Show - Best of Show: Hyundai’s All-new 2018 Elantra GT

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:36 AM.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] It needs the Ioniq Hybrid Drivetrain within however.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Feb. 9, 2016

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT – Pricing and EPA TBA.

Chicago, IL -- Hyundai revealed its all-new 2018 Elantra GT at the 2017 Chicago Auto Show Press Days. And it is not a 2017 Elantra hatch if that is what you thought. I did and boy was I wrong. The all-new Elantra GT adds a more upright CUV like appearance and greater utility plus improved driving dynamics. Due this summer, there will be two trims, the base GT and a more powerful GT Sport.

Instead of the Elantra, the new Elantra GT is based off the new-generation i30 out of Europe. Here is where the two differ.

2018 Elantra GT compared to the 2017 Elantra

Overall height (in): 57.2” vs. 56.5”
    Overall length (in): 170.9” vs. 171.0”
    Overall width (in): 70.7” vs. 70.9”
    Wheelbase (in): 104.3” vs. 106.3”

Its claim to fame is the grille. It looks like Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 as can be seen across the entire Hyundai lineup currently but with a twist. From just off of straight on to about 45 degrees the grille work looks black. From straight in and from the side, it looks like a chrome unit. Remember the 2011 Sonata Limited and its fluted grille work? The Elantra GT has a standout grille like that because the flat edges have a polished chrome like insert set into the black grille matrix. It looks great and from the A-Pillars back, remind me of the all-new Niro.

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT

[​IMG]

The chassis is comprised of 53 percent advanced high-strength steel bonded together with over 367 feet of structural adhesive. This makes the Elantra GT, stiffer, stronger, and lighter. It’s 22-percent more rigid and lighter by some 61 pounds.

The GT uses a torsion beam rear end whereas the GT Sport is fully independent. This GT includes 17” alloys whereas the Sport trim includes 18” alloys plus larger front and rear rotors.

Inside, the hatchback provides occupants 96.5 cu. ft. of passenger volume – practically the same as the longer wheelbase Elantra – and 24.9/55.1 cu. ft. of cargo volume with the rear seats up/down.

Leather seats, alloy pedals, dual-zone auto climate, and an 8” central display are all standard. A high end Infinity Audio system with Clari-Fi, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and wireless smartphone charging are also available.

The Elantra GT includes Blue Link for remote start and climate control. This can be controlled via smartphone, Blue Link skill for Amazon Alexa.

The 2018 Elantra GT also debuts Hyundai next generation AVN 5.0 infotainment system. This system features an upgraded processor for faster responsiveness. AM, FM and SiriusXM channels are now combined on one screen. A bird’s eye view has also been added to Navigation maps and drivers can now get traffic flow and incident data without ever paying for a subscription via HD Radio.

On the safety front, the GT can be equipped with Smart Cruise Control with stop/start capability, Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Keep Assist, Attention Assist, High-Beam Assist, and Blind Spot Detection with Rear Cross-traffic Alert.

[​IMG]

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Drivetrain(s)

Two engines are available in the Elantra GT. A 162 hp and 150 lb-ft direct injected 2.0L mated to either a 6-speed MT or AT. The GT Sport receives a 201 hp and 195 lb-ft of torque 1.6L Turbo mated to a 6-speed MT or 7-speed DCT.

As mentioned above, oh how this would be a great platform for the 1.6L Ioniq Hybrid drivetrain. Especially since the new i30 is equipped with a 1.0L or 1.4L in Europe.

#CAS17

Jurgis and BillLin like this.
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Sounds promising, but I don't think either engine will quite be able to match Honda's 1.5T. The interior looks nice and the passenger volume sounds better than the Civic hatch.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. Jurgis

Jurgis New Member

I just checked the German pages of Hyundai for the Elantra (i30):

1.4L 100hp 44 MPG petrol gas (manual gear only)
    1.0L 120hp 47 MPG petrol with Turbo (manual gear only)
    1.4L 140hp 43/42 MPG (manual/automatic gear) petrol with Turbo
    1.6L _95hp 65 MPG CommonRail Diesel (manual gear only)
    1.6L 110hp 62/57 MPG (manual/automatic gear) CommonRail Diesel
    1.6L 136hp 60/57 MPG (manual/automatic gear) CommonRail Diesel

The values for the mileage given by the European test enviroment differ from reality. In fact it will be less for normal usage.
    And yes, there is no Hybrid, neither any full electrical driven car.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 10:37 AM
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that this car very closely resembles the Golf. I like it.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Not be able to match the Honda 1.5T? In what way? The Hyundai 1.6L turbo surpasses the Honda 1.5T in hp and torque. The 7-speed DCT will almost certainly be more efficient than the Civic CVT. I really like the looks and the form factor of the GT vs the Civic hatch.

xcel, BillLin and seftonm like this.
  6. seftonm

I don't think it will match the Honda's combination of torque and fuel efficiency. The 2.0 doesn't have the power or torque of the Honda. The 1.6T Elantra Sport is pretty terrible on gas. It gets 26/33 city/highway with the 7-speed DCT, and 22/30 with the manual. The Honda CVT is rated far higher.

BillLin, Jay and xcel like this.
  7. alster

alster Well-Known Member

As far as engines go the new Honda 1.5 turbo engine in the 2017 Honda CRV produces 190 HP, on 87 octane. Thats 126 HP per liter displacement. I don't believe
    nothing today can beat that as far as HP per liter goes on regular 87 octane gas. If so let us know....

BillLin, seftonm and xcel like this.
  8. seftonm

2017 Ford Raptor has slightly more HP per liter, but it's not a vehicle that will be very likely to end up on this forum.

The old Hyundai 2.0T was over 270hp on regular fuel.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 10:08 PM
  9. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Thanks for the research Jurgis, I'll wait for the 95 HP diesel.

xcel, Jurgis and BillLin like this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

In Amerika , we may be waiting a LONG time for that one. I'm still amazed that we're getting a 1.6 diesel in the Cruze , instead of a "hot rod" 2.0.

xcel, Jurgis and BillLin like this.