2017 Hyundai Ioniq HEV Available Now, BEV in April, and PHEV This Fall

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Feb 15, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A great year to drive efficiency.

Wayne Gerdes and Jay Stewart – CleanMPG – Feb. 4, 2017

2017 Hyundai IONIQ HEV Overview - $23,035 to start incl. the $835 D&H charge provides owners an amazing and record setting 57/59/58 mpgUS city/highway/combined rating. The SEL and Limited trims are rated at 55/54/55 mpgUS city/highway/combined.

As most here know, Hyundai has begun the first U.S. media drives of its IONIQ lineup – our turn arrives this weekend, in Santa Barbara, California. This is occurring as new IONIQs are appearing at Hyundai dealerships today! The IONIQ lineup will provide yet another great choice for a wide range of efficient transportation buyers.

Hyundai’s IONIQ HEV, PHEV and BEV Preview

From the numerous preview stories in the linked thread, the IONIQ includes Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Blue Link, as well as wireless charging for smartphone, and a 7-inch driver display. And the efficiency is ungodly!

The Ioniq can also be equipped with Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Detection and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq HEV and Electric Pricing
    • HEV Blue - $22,200
    • HEV SEL - $23,950
    • HEV Limited - $27,500
    • BEV Electric - $29,500
    • BEV Limited - $32,500
    Freight Charges for all 2017 MY Ioniq HEVs and BEVs is $835.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Drivetrain (HEV)

The Ioniq HEV and Ioniq PHEV both feature the very latest all-new direct-injected and atkinsonized, 104 hp and 109 lb.ft. of torque, 1.6L I4 with a thermodynamic efficiency of 40 percent. It is mated to a very fast shifting 6-speed double-clutch transmission (DCT). The high-efficiency electric motor can operate at speeds up to 75 MPH although we have seen the same drivetrain drop out at speeds as high as 83 mph during a coast down inside the Niro.

The Ioniq Hybrid’s 43 hp and 125 lb.ft, of torque electric motor is placed between the I4 and the 6-speed DCT and is powered by a 1.56 kWh Li-Ion polymer battery located under the rear passenger seats. Total system output - engine and motor combined - equates to 139 hp.

The most efficient Ioniq Blue trim has an EPA-estimated 57/59/58 mpgUS city/highway/combined, the highest rating of any non-PHEV sold in the U.S. market.

The 6-speed DCT used in both the HEV and PHEV is said to provide a best-in-class transfer efficiency through the use of low-friction bearings and low-viscosity transmission oil at upwards of 96 percent.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV-27)

The Ioniq PHEV provides an all-electric range of preliminary estimated 27 miles and is powered by an 8.9 kWh Li-Ion polymer battery. The Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid’s estimated 45kW (60 horsepower) electric motor is coupled with the 1.6L I4.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Battery Electric (BEV)

The Ioniq Electric arrives with a 28 kWh Li-Ion polymer battery for an estimated driving range of 124 miles. The electric motor has a maximum output of 118 hp and 218 lb.ft. of torque and is mated to a single-speed transmission. The Ioniq Electric has an EPA-estimated 136 MPGe rating, the highest efficiency rating of any electric vehicle sold in the U.S. market.

The Electric Detail

Power for the IONIQ HEV, PHEV, and BEV is generated by a permanent magnet synchronous motor with resistance reducing rectangular-section copper wire. The Li-Ion polymer battery packs are 20 percent lighter than std. Li-Ion batteries in other HEVs, PHEVs, and BEVs and have lower memory sensitivity, excellent charge and discharge efficiency, and outstanding maximum output.

The HEVs battery system is located underneath the rear seats so the 122.7 cu.ft. of passenger and cargo volume are uncompromised.

The IONIQ PHEV and the BEV both offer a generous total interior volume of approximately 120.0 cu.ft.

All Ioniq BEV are equipped with standard Level-3 DC fast-charging capability. Charging the Ioniq Electric’s Li-Ion polymer battery up to 80 percent only takes approximately 23 minutes using a SAE Combo Level-3 DC, 100 kW fast charger. An integrated In-Cable Control Box (ICCB) also allows drivers to charge their Ioniq using a standard 120V outlet.

[​IMG]

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Exterior Design

As I have been inundating you with details prior to even the U.S. reveal in NY last April through to today, the hatchback form factor is the most efficient aerodynamic shape on the road today. The Ioniq has been tested to the 4th gen Prius level of Cd at just 0.24.

The front of the Ioniq HEV is characterized by the Bi-Xenon HID headlights surrounded by C-shaped LED positioning lamps. Hyundai’s signature hexagonal grille and vertical C-shaped LED DRLs further convey purity of design.

Ioniq PHEV includes16” alloys and the HEVs hexagonal grille and the vertical C-shaped LED DRLs, plus low-beam LED headlamps. A charging port is located in the left front fender.

Ioniq Electric grille is a very small opening flat surface. HID Xenon headlamps with Dynamic Bending Light (DBL) and LED tail lamps plus unique 16” eco-spoke alloys round out its exterior.

All models include front wheel air curtains, a rear spoiler and diffuser, side sill moldings, floor undercover and a closed-wheel design. The HEV and PHEV feature a 3-stage active air flap integrated within the front grille.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Interior Design

The Ioniq incorporates many recycled materials. The interior door covers are made of plastic combined with powdered wood and volcanic stone. Raw materials extracted from sugar cane are partly applied on the headliner and carpet. Paint with renewable ingredients extracted from soybean oil is used to achieve lustrous metallic colors on key components.

In terms of passenger and cargo volume, the Ioniq HEV provides 96.2 cu. ft. of passenger volume. Cargo volume comes in at 26.5 cu. ft. whereas the PHEV and BEV provide 23.8 cu. ft. of cargo volume with the seats up.

The driver and passenger of the Electric have more room between the front seats due to the shift-by-wire drive selector free of a mechanical linkage and an electronic parking brake (EPB).

The Ioniq climate control goes to recirc when A/C or heating is being requested and the Auto climate control can be set to ‘Driver only’ reducing the load of both A/C and heating on the overall powertrain.

[​IMG]

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Infotainment

Ioniq also allows drivers to integrate their smartphone with the vehicle’s infotainment system by providing both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Ioniq can also be equipped with a wireless inductive-charging pad for compatible smartphones.

Optional on all trims, the Ioniq with Smart Cruise Control allows a constant following distance behind the vehicle ahead without depressing the accelerator or brake pedals. Unfortunately it cancels when speed drops to 5 mph or below vs. the Electric which provides full speed range from speed to 0 and back up again.

The optional on all HEV trims Hyundai Blue Link connected car system adds Remote Start and Climate Control, Destination Search powered by Google, Remote Door Lock/Unlock, Car Finder, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, and Stolen Vehicle Recovery. Blue Link features can be accessed via buttons on the rearview mirror, My Hyundai, the Blue Link smartphone app, and now through the Amazon Alexa Blue Link skill. Some features can also be controlled via Android Wearand Apple Watch smartwatch apps. Owners of Ioniq PHEV and Electric will also be able manage and monitor their car’s charging schedule remotely via the Blue Link smartphone app or via Alexa to start and stop charging as needed. The Ioniq Electric features complimentary standard three-year Blue Link services.

[​IMG]

Ioniq Chassis R&H + Lightweighting

The Ioniq is tuned towards better ride quality and lower interior noise. More sound insulation in the instrument panel minimizes noise intrusion. Damping in the floor panels, as well as enhanced A- and B- pillar insulation, thicker window glass and noise-cancelling film on the windshield, further reduce driving noise levels.

The chassis consists of a somewhat light-yet-rigid body is the result of more than 50 percent Advanced High Strength Steel construction.

Ioniq HEV and PHEV feature a quick steering ratio and an independent multi-link rear end with dual lower control arms. Aluminum front and rear suspension components saves approximately 22 lbs. compared with conventional steel construction. A reduction of five lbs. per front lower arm saves 13 lbs. at the front and almost nine lbs. at the rear. The placement of the traction battery below the rear seats provides a lower center of gravity for less body roll and improved road holding.

The Ioniq Electric uses a less expensive and volume hogging torsion-beam rear axle.

The regenerative braking system was designed to reduced noise. It can be adjusted through a steering-column-mounted regenerative paddles. An Integrated Brake Assist Unit (iBAU) and Pressure Source Unit (PSU) also contribute to quieter operation.

Low rolling resistance Michelin Energy Saver AS’ are standard on all Ioniq models and trims with 15, 16 and 17” alloys.

The Ioniqs use aluminum in the hood and tailgate, reducing weight by 27 lbs. In addition, the Pb-acid auxiliary 12V battery found in competitors’ hybrid models has been omitted in the Ioniq Hybrid, resulting in an approximate 26-pound reduction in weight.

Ioniq Safety

This rigid AHSS structure includes 476 feet of structural adhesives in lieu of welding providing lighter weight and even higher rigidity.

Actively, the Ionic can be equipped with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) with Pedestrian Detection, Blind Spot Detection, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, rear parking sensors, and headlights with Dynamic Bending Light (DBL).

A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) provides individual tire pressures.

Passively, seven airbags, front, side, side curtain and drivers knee airbag are standard.

Body structure strengthening and high-strength fiber-reinforced rear bumper fascia should improve crash survivability further.

[​IMG]

The Ioniq can be purchased in Black Noir Pearl, Symphony Air Silver, Electric Blue Metallic, Ceramic White and Summit Gray. The Ioniq Hybrid features specially-designed two-tone contrasting 15” eco-spoke or 17” alloy wheels.

Unfortunately Santa Barbara is expected to be inundated with rain on Friday and Saturday, the two days we will be there. I will try and get some seat time in the middle of the night if the rain holds off for a few hours.

ALS, rhwinger, BillLin and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The Ioniq photographs well. Can't wait to see one in person!

rhwinger, BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

They DO photograph well , with the special "auto show" high-dollar detailing job and special lighting. But I imagine this will be a good-looking car in the real world, too.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

Yeah... it's hard to hide ugly except with shadows and back lighting maybe. :) The Ioniq just looks good to many, myself included. I was admiring Hyundai's artistry yesterday at dusk, looking at a rear quarter view of an Elantra with the tail lights on.

Jay and xcel like this.
  5. Erdrick

Erdrick Well-Known Member

Great in person.
    I saw it at NAIAS.

6. Erdrick

Erdrick Well-Known Member

I hope they sell a bunch of these, the BEV especially.
    I just can't wrap my head around the comparison to the Model 3.
    It only has a 124 mile range with quite slow acceleration, though it is $5k cheaper.
    I'm certainly not cancelling my model 3 deposit for it.
    I could see certain price conscious buyers that are ok with 124 miles going for it though.
    Should be interesting either way, and I'm pysched to finally be witnessing the real return of the EV.

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I can't wrap my head around the model 3, with its sedan format. Hatchback only for me. I could see certain style conscious buyers that are ok with the limitations of a trunk.

I'd have to take a close look at both this and the Bolt with its much longer range. But the plug-in hybrid sounds best for me. Electric only for most of my commuting, but unlimited hybrid range for trips.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. xcel

Hi All:

Let us start with this...

Anyone remember the song "It never rains in Southern California"? Don't believe it. ;)

I arrived at the 2017 #Hyundai #Ioniq #Hybrid (HEV), Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV), and Battery Electric (BEV) short lead in Santa Barbara, Calif. to experience 3 to 8 in. of rain and more on the way. Road closures, landslides, and ... Well, weather chaos.

LITTLE RAIN MUST FALL as recorded by Al Bowlly on March 7, 1940

When days are burdened with sorrow,
    When dreams have all gone amiss,
    Don't give up hope for tomorrow,
    Just remember this;

To make a sunbeam shine
    A little rain must fall;
    The weather always can be fine,
    A little rain must fall!

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited through the roof!

[​IMG]
    A little rain must fall...​

In total, about 9 inches of rain fell on Santa Barbara on Friday and Saturday which closed roads, schools and the airport into town. Meaning at least 9 of the approximately 22 journalists and influencers on Wave3 - the final wave - were stranded all over the country and were going to miss this great short lead.

Last Sept. the lowered and modified Ioniq front and center set a land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats at 157 mph avg. speed on a bi-directional dual run on the famous salt.

[​IMG]

Hyundai Ioniq Sets New Hybrid Land Speed Record

In the back is the 55/54 mpgUS city/highway rated Ioniq HEV in Limited trim. The fully loaded trim starts at $28,335 incl. the $835 D&H charge.

[​IMG]

It should be reaching dealership showrooms as I type this up.

Tomorrow we will be driving that beauty along with the late model PHEV prototype - scheduled for this fall - and the 124 mile EPA rated Battery Electric which starts at $30,335 incl. the $835 D&H charge.

Rain will sink the efficiency under normal conditions and may cause alternate routing if the roads stay closed. In any case, Saturday will be a great day to drive the latest super-efficient car lineup.

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Stay out of trouble in that rain, Wayne! You're about 80 miles south of my old central coast stomping grounds.

I am unable to find the ground clearance spec for the Ioniq. It's 6.3" for the Niro. Having seen both, do you think the Niro has more ground clearance than the Ioniq? Same?

10. xcel

Hi Jay:

Wish I would have seen that question on Saturday. I do not know what it is but I bet it is no more than 5.5 in. The UK and US consumer websites and spec pages from the Media site and the short lead do not show it.

Wayne

11. xcel

Hi All:

Some of the quickly typed out highlights from the 3 presentations plus a few from the Q&A.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-25

[​IMG]

The green vehicle market market share was at 3.8 percent In 2013. Now down to 2.87 percent in 2016.

The number of HEV models is stagnant at 31 models.

PHEV model offerings are increasing but sales are off by more than 1/2 since 2012.

There are 7 new HEV/PHEV/BEVs planned before year end.

ZEV mandates - BEVs and FCVs - require OEM volumes to reach 22 percent by 2025 in Calif.

Millennials will be 40% of auto buyers by 2020. 26 percent will be looking at HEV's and 16 percent PHEVs...

Why does 97% not buy a HEV? Costs and performance are the two most prevalent issues.

There have been Autonomous Ioniqs in Korea since last June. It is designed with the LIDAR, Radar, and cameras located within the base structure...

The Ioniq arrives with 3 different drivetrains, plus its a great compact car. We - Hyundai - is not looking at just the conquest of Prius owners as 1 million people are looking at a green vehicle but turned to something else. Hyundai wants those 97 percent of buyers to consider the Ioniq.

All three Ioniq platforms have a lifetime battery warranty.

6-speed DCT was instilled to remove the mushy CVT action...

Ioniq Design

Aero focus with Visual Aero design language.

LED DRL and passive air curtain inlets up front.

Hyundai tried to bring the front look of the Ioniq into the rear.

No grille in the BEV and none line through the larger Flying H Hyundai logo.

Interior

Tech grains instead of natural leather grain plus soft touch materials that are eco based. 25 percent sugar cane.

Bio-metallic paint using soybean base and 20 percent of fabrics is sugar cane based.

BEV has paddle shifters for higher regen. Center console is a push button shift. Supposed to be easier?

The Ioniq offers the largest interior volume in the class. Larger than Prius, Niro and C-MAX.

Most efficient car in America. Blur trim is 2 mpg better than Prius Two Eco.

Ioniq BEV 's Bolt and Leaf. Lower cost with Ioniq.

Interesting point, the Tesla Model S is 31 percent less efficient...

Design could not just focus on mpg but needed to be "Best in Class." It could not be boring to drive either. Korean engineers named the project "Mission Impossible".

DCT was key to performance kick, feel and efficiency...

The electric motor is 95.3 percent efficient vs Prius' 93.5 percent.

Li-Ion Polymer Battery is crucial. 1.56 vs .75 kWh and 1.4 kWh pack in Prius and C-MAX respectively.

No 12V but it does have a Self jump start function.

PHEV - 8.9 kWh pack, 8I kW motor and 6.6 kW charger. SAE Level 3 DC port is standard on BEV. A lot more here...

Product Planning

Driving dynamics was a focus. Al, HSS, and structural adhesives reduce weight significantly.

Lower Cg than a Golf R and more to downforce than Civic and Corolla.

S mode changes Speedo to a tach.

Eco mode can be adjusted. HVAC, regen and max speed.

Michelin tires were specifically engineered for Ioniq.

Committed to best value for the $. Auto brake uses sensor fusion. Radar and camera work together.

BSM w/ RCTA plus the rest can be added as a pkg.

Premium interior amenities... Ton of these incl. Auto climate. Driver only ventilation to reduce A/C load.

BEV uses heat pump and increases range by 20 percent with heat on vs. resistance heating.

3 yrs. of complimentary Blue Link.

Ioniq BEV at under $20k in Calif. What about Bolt? $7k less expensive. Limited with Ultimate pkg. for less than base Bolt.

98 percent do not plan to drive over 100 miles. 43 mile avg per day actual. Efficiency, efficiency, efficiency...

HEV are available this month. BEV in April - Calif. only, and PHEV in fall.

BEV Lease will be unlimited miles and 50k miles of free charging. Plus more...

Q&A: 124 mile range for electric was for efficiency, large interior volume and cost. Future electric product - probably not Ioniq - will have longer range...

BillLin likes this.
  12. xcel

Hi All:

A somewhat minor point as a I have a ton still to add but the best Qi charger I have ever used is an option in the Ioniq HEV/PHEV and the BEV. My Samsung Galaxy with the inductive back charged flawlessly by just dropping it in. Millennials should cheer!

2017 Hyundai Ioniq HEV/PHEV Qi Charger

[​IMG]

The BEV has a different design but it works just as good. Drop it on in the case of the HEV/PHEV or in the case of the BEV, drop it into the pocket and it is charging. No fuss or muss?

2017 Hyundai Ioniq BEV Qi Charger

[​IMG]

Other OEMs Qi chargers do not work or when they do, it is sporadic or you have to play games by aligning it or your phone does not fit...

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  13. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

So nice that it isn't stark white. :) I think I like the BEV QI charger's location better, somewhat out in the open for better reception.

xcel likes this.
  14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Thanks for the presentation, Wayne. I'm glad its not my job to figure out why Americans buy what they do and especially what they'll buy in the future. Before I could drive, I was a car, motorcycle, bicycle, and airplane enthusiast. If it moved, I was intensely interested in it and getting my license was a huge deal. Younger people today aren't so enamored with transportation, it seems. They look forward to autonomous cars that you summon with a smart phone and no ownership hassles; autonomous cars that drop you off without any driving or parking hassles. I've got to admit it makes sense from an efficiency and practicality standpoint but its not for me (yet) because I still love cars and love the ownership experience.

O'Brien made some capacity comparisons between Ioniq and Niro and some others. Still missing from Hyundai's website are complete specs including the all-important cargo capacity with rear seats down. It's 54.5 cu ft for the Niro. Hyundai needs to get their website updated with complete specs so folks can make comparisons.

15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Oh, one more thing... O'Brien was talking about aero wheels and the challenge of making them look good. The 17" Ioniq wheels look nice. The 15" wheels are hideous. They should offer, at least as an option, a 15" version of the 17" design.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  16. xcel

HI Jay:

All good points.

The seats down volume is 55 cu.ft. IIRC. I think it was on one of the later slides in another tech presentations. Give me a minute as Hyundai provided a slide deck. Not sure if it is in there yet however. Give me a minute.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  17. xcel

Hi Jay:

I watched all hour+ long of vids, looked at every slide in the deck, and as mentioned previously, looked at the latest media and consumer site specs with no luck. I sent in a note to two Hyundai PR folks for the cargo volume with the seats down spec. I thought I heard 55 cu. ft. for the HEV but I could be mistaken.

In the mean time, here is a great layout from the slide deck on volume comparisons between the HEV and BEV and various competitors.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq HEV/BEV Competitive Volume Comparison

[​IMG]

Wayne

18. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

55 cubic feet of space with the rear seats down is the same as the upcoming Elantra GT.

Jay, BillLin and xcel like this.
  19. xcel

Hi All:

I have not yet heard anything back about the cargo volume with the seats down. Sorry about that.

Here is a good layout of the various Hybrid and Electric models including their features and MSRP against the Toyota Prius and Nissan Leaf.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Trim, Pricing and Competitive Pricing Detail

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regarding the Prius, remember there is usually $2k on its hood plus $2.5k discounts with some under the table types from Toyota dealerships nationwide. Nissan Leafs are discounted even more steeply.

Wayne

PaleMelanesian, Jay and BillLin like this.
  20. xcel

Hi All:

I just received a note from Hyundai PR. They do not have the cargo volume with the rear seats down. :(

Wayne