The Most Efficient Turbo Diesel in America Comes From Chevrolet – 52 mpg Highway!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Feb 13, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Here comes the Cruze with absolutely killer EPA highway certified results!

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Feb. , 2016

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Turbo Diesel Sedan w/ the base 6-speed MT – It starts at $24,670 incl. the $875 D&H while offering owners an excellent 30/52/37 mpgUS city/highway/combined rating.

Just minutes ago, Chevrolet released the EPA certified results for its upcoming super diesel and it is a jaw dropping 52 mpg highway. Remember we have driven the now discontinued 30/43/35 mpg city/highway/combined rated Golf TDI to a 48-State Guinness World Record at 81 mpg almost 2 years ago and the new Cruze turbo diesel is rated far higher than that!

The 2017 Cruze Diesel Sedan features the new 137 hp and 240 lb-ft. of torque, 1.6L I4 turbo-diesel. During certification, it easily surpassed all the U.S. EPA and CARB standards, including the latest Tier 3 Bin 125 emissions standards.

Chevrolet Cruze Sedan

[​IMG]
    The Turbo Diesel is coming!​

With the base 6-speed MT and 13.5 gallon tank, Chevrolet touted its 702 mile highway range on a single tank of fuel. Meaning 1,000+ is going to be as easy as going for a 1,000 mile “Cruze”. :D

Along with the 6-speed MT, the Cruze Diesel Sedan can be equipped with a new nine-speed AT w/ stop/start offering owners a 31/47/37 mpgUS combined rating.

The Cruze Diesel Hatch will follow Cruze Diesel Sedan later this year as a 2018 MY offering.

2018 Chevrolet Cruze Hatch

[​IMG]
    As seen on the floor of the Chicago Auto Show last week.​

The Cruze Sedan with the turbo diesel is arriving just in time so that the VW TDI owners receiving their full buybacks have an outlet to go purchase their next brand new and modern compact turbo diesel. Hot Damn!!! :D :D :D

#Chevrolet #Cruze #Turbo #Diesel #CAS17

2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Very impressive!

Markus, BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. Markus

Markus Member

Not too shabby!

xcel likes this.
  4. wxman

wxman Well-Known Member

Wayne,

Does it seem odd to you that the auto 9-speed "only" gets 47 mpg highway? Autos now seem to get as good, if not better, than the manuals in most cases.

xcel likes this.
  5. tribosessive

tribosessive Well-Known Member

This is fantastic news.
    The hatchback is perfect as a work vehicle for me.
    The mega durability factor of diesel makes this a winner even more.
    What kind of RPMs are we talking about ?
    The low RPMs made Passat such a winner previously.
    Also, why can no one else do this ?
    Pass the EPA @ $25k price point.
    Murica FTW.

:)

xcel likes this.
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The skeptic in me says:

I don't know if we've ever seen a 22 mpg split between city and highway ratings, ... so I wonder if that 52 mpg may not be too "real world durable".

xcel likes this.
  7. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That normally is true only in cases where the manual version has much "shorter" gearing than the automatic. If the gearing is similar, it's not "odd" at all, in my opinion.

xcel likes this.
  8. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

Did the GWR TDI have the full on software cheat? If so, what was it's effective EPA rating in the wild? And how clean real-world lifetime of the vehicle will this Cruze end up being? Save extreme towing and hauling needs, call me a diesel skeptic.

xcel likes this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

As a diesel lover , I hope this car is good. Also , I hope more North Americans try one. Even just a test drive.

xcel likes this.
  10. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Did they give any indication as to how many the hope to sell?

xcel likes this.
  11. wxman

wxman Well-Known Member

Thank you for your response.

The main reason I was surprised by the difference in highway mileage between the manual and auto is that the gas versions (1.4L) of the Cruze, auto and manual, actually are higher for the auto, and that's with the relatively older 6-speed auto.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=37907&id=37911

Is that 9-speed auto a step backward with respect to fuel efficiency?

xcel likes this.
  12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

THAT is an impressive number. And with a tall geared manual? AND hatchback?!!

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

xcel and RedylC94 like this.
  13. alster

alster Well-Known Member

I will stick with a hybrid, perhaps the Ioniq blue drive that EPA's at 58 mpg avg. well above that of the Cruze Diesel avg. mpg's. When you get done
    with Urea injection tank filling every 10,000 miles, and the cost of diesel usually .20-40 cent more per gallon than regular 87 octane the hybrid will pencil
    out to be far more fuel efficient. The other hybrids available out there also average more mpg than the Cruze diesel...

xcel and BillLin like this.
  14. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I might be interested if they stuffed that motor in a Malibu.

xcel likes this.
  15. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

It's going into the Equinox next year, and that's where it's really needed. In crossover-crazy America, a 40mpg diesel cute-ute will save more annual barrels than a 45mpg diesel midsize sedan.

JonNC, BillLin, ALS and 1 other person like this.
  16. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Maxx is right
    Better small car mpg isn't as important as better
    SUV and Pickup mpg
    The 25mpg 3.6 dodge pickup "saves" more fuel than the Prius
    OK that is a pure guess and perhaps BS
    but the Dodge 3.6 25mpg epa COMPARED to say Dodge pickups circa 2000 (all had worst in class laughable FE)
    or the current 3.0TD(geez it might get 2X or 2.5x dodge 1/2 TON 2000 pickup FE)
    2000 dodge pickups had TERRIBLE FE- real world maybe 12 mpg real drivers city and maybe 15 mpg hy at 70 mph

I bet the Cummins save more fuel than the Prius(vs say a 2004 corolla)
    cummins vs say that V10 Ford guzzler(a 10mpg 3/4 ton)
    or their own 5.7 CIRCA 2002 in the 3/4 tons

Yeah the Equinox with the little TD or perhaps their 200" unibody ??
    get some real use out of the 9 speed AT

xcel and BillLin like this.