2013 Toyota Prius III C NAV

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by schuylkill, Feb 5, 2017.

1. schuylkill

schuylkill Well-Known Member

Posting again on my son's quest to get a new car. Looking now towards used. My son is newly married, only 23, and this will be his first car purchase. He's been driving my 91 Civic LX which is outside now with a no-start situation. He really likes this black Prius and I would like your input on this as a first car. He drives locally mostly, occasional highway trips to Bethlehem and Philadelphia. I'm mostly concerned with reliability and maintenance costs for him. I told him I would get some input from the experts. The car is $14K and has 24-1/2K miles on it. You get a 6mo 6K bumper to bumper and lifetime engine of some sort. I imagine any factory warranty on the car would depend on former ownership and particular stuff.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Schuylkill:

$14k for a 4 year old Prius c seems steep to me. Do not get me wrong, I really like the c but $14k when you can get a new 2017 Gen4 Prius with all of the included advanced safety systems, more efficient, more room, better infotainment for around $21k seems very richly priced. Is there anyway you can help him bridge the gap?

I looked up a 2013 Toyota Prius c pkg. III with 24k miles in good condition. KBB Private Party shows $10,895. That seems a lot more reasonable.

I hope that helps?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. schuylkill

I'm gapped out for the time being and that's another half of the price, can't do it. I don't think there is any price negotiation at this place either. He is borrowing my wife's car currently so he needs to get something done fairly soon. What about cost to own by people here?

BillLin likes this.
  4. kbergene

kbergene Active Member

To your question about reliability and maintenance, the only analysis of long term statistics I know of comes from Consumer Reports, who gives Prius C's above average to superior. This is a Toyota after all, and additionally its a relatively stable model.

I agree with Wayne's observation about pricing. (Without knowing trim level, I'm commenting blind as well, but I see a Certified 2013 in the Twin Cities where I live for $12.4k.) If you can't get them to budge on price , see if they will throw in something of value (eg a couple years of oil changes and tire rotations).

Best wishes.
    Kent.

5. tribosessive

tribosessive Well-Known Member

2015 PriusC Three. 64.5k miles. Very reliable. Low maintenance. PriusChat is highly recommended for info. Buyers market. Agree with xcel that Gen4.Prius-the Eco model is the way to go. 60mpg before beginning to talk about hypermiling. Buyers market too.

xcel likes this.
  6. schuylkill

The car sold before we got to it. Looking around now and it was priced right for the Philadelphia area. Probably looking at Elantras now. Any suggestions for best years between 2013 and 2016? There are a few SEs and a few LTDs I think they are around. Probably better deals on the Elantra than on the c. Bummer that we didn't get to drive the c, still looking around but that was the one.

7. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

I bought a 2014 Prius C two last October form Carvana. It had 22K miles on it and i got it for $13K. It still has the balance of the Toyota factory warranty on it. I love the car and have gotten it into the high 60's on a number of trips. My average tank has been in the mid 50's, since it is cold and they arent fond of cold. I loved dealing with Carvana, it was painless and transparent. They have several that you may want to check out

https://www.carvana.com/search/2000037777/2014-toyota-prius-c-two

https://www.carvana.com/search/2000045336/2014-toyota-prius-c-two

xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

9. schuylkill

He got a 2016 Elantra SE with 15K miles for $13,500. I'll check into Carvana, looks interesting.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  10. Blackbelt

I am happy with my experience with them. They delivered the car to my home on their own flatbed truck. I had 7 days to test drive it,m and had the option of sending it back and getting a full refund if i didn't like the car. They would even come and pick it up. Plus they didn't charge any kind of dealer fees or admin fees or any fees at all, other than what the state of PA charges for paperwork.
    Best of luck with the Elantra. SOunds like a good deal.

BillLin likes this.
  11. schuylkill

How is the delivery charge calculated, I couldn't find that information quickly poking around the site. I did see that if you flew in to pick up the car they would reimburse $200 of the plane fare.
    We used Carsense.

BillLin likes this.
  12. Blackbelt

There was no delivery charge. That was one of the things i liked. There are no "gotcha" fees or charges. The only thing i paid over and above the price of the car was the PA sales tax, PA title fee, PA, registration and tag fee. That's it. No delivery charge or "doc fee" or "notary fee" or any other dealer profit rip off fees. I am not sure if they are delivering into Philly or not, you would have to contact them to find out. They are certainly delivering into Pittsburgh. The car was spotlessly detailed when they delivered it to my home. I actually took pictures of them taking it off the flatbed. There was even a $25 visa gift card taped inside the fuel door that i discovered when i needed my first fill up. That was almost 10 days after i got it, because they delivered it with a full tank. That was a nice surprise.
    The closest i could find on Carvana was a 2015 ElantraSE with 18K on it for $12,250

schuylkill, xcel and BillLin like this.