Fiat Chrysler to be accused by EPA of excess diesel emissions, report says

Discussion in 'Emissions' started by Carcus, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

"
    WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency plans to accuse Fiat Chrysler Automobiles of using software that allowed excess diesel emissions in just over 100,000 U.S. trucks and SUVs sold since 2014, two sources briefed on the matter told Reuters.

The EPA told the automaker it believes its auxiliary emissions control software allowed vehicles to generate excess pollution in violation of the law. Fiat Chrysler declined to comment. ......."

".......The probe covers FCA's diesel trucks and SUVs from the 2014-2016 model years."

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...used-by-epa-of-excess-diesel-emissions-report

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carcus:

SOB! This is my by far favorite truck drivetrain too. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see the EPA and DOJ response to a "domestic" violator vs a "foreign" violator. They came down quite hard on VW. They also beat up Hyundai/Kia badly for "cheating" on their EPA fuel mileage calculations. Whatever happened to Ford for their much more egregious hybrid FE claims?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I suppose that includes the Jeep with the 3.0... :(

xcel likes this.
  5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say this is a (potential) death blow to diesel, but if it turns out to be a serious violation, you have to wonder if the future of diesel in personal vehicles (i.e. besides commercial trucks) is in question.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

..and, of course, you have a whole new set of administrators/judiciaries in about a week ...

BillLin likes this.