#2017NAIAS - All-new 8th Gen 2018 Toyota Camry Revealed

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 9, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A midsize standard bearer receives a new look, improved safety, and even lower fuel consumption.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 9, 2016

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid – Pricing and EPA results TBA. Here is the Exterior and Interior static overview.

The Toyota Camry is the most American manufactured automobile of any automobile including the much vaunted pickup truck. This is when considering not just its build on an American assembly line but its chassis and body shell, drivetrain, interior and exterior parts sourcing. It has also been the best-selling car in America on average for the past 15 years.

The all-new 8th gen now adds a more exciting presence on the outside, a better riding and safer chassis underneath, and a more modern and luxurious look and feel inside.

The 2018 Camry utilizes TNGA (Toyota New Global Architecture) providing a lower cost and higher quality as a similar chassis is used across numerous compact and midsize models, not just Camry.

2018 Toyota Camry Design

Toyota stated there were three design goals when creating the all-new Camry
    • A low center of gravity
    • A modern cabin
    • An aggressive yet upscale image inside and out.
    2018 Toyota Camry Trims

Like the current very successful Camry, the all-new 8th gen will arrive in four grades: LE, XLE, SE and XSE. The “Sport” SE and XSE wear a noticeably different body style than the base LE and premium XLE trims, highlighted by a sculpted rocker panel, new 19-inch black machined-finish alloy wheels (XSE only) a subtle rear spoiler lip, aggressive front bumper, and rear bumper with an integrated lower diffuser. The face is more distinctive with large side intakes and mesh grille. A revised rear bumper with smoke-tinted rear combination lamps highlight the changes out back.

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid

[​IMG]

Exterior of the 2018 Toyota Camry

The all-new 2018 Camry’s face is built around a large open mouthed two-piece grille comprised of upper thin and lower thicker slats. A 1.6-inch-lower hood with multiple feature lines comes together from the windscreen edges into a new larger Toyota. The hybrid being a unique blue hue as shown in the video.

The 2018 Camry has a sleeker profile with a lower the hip point (nearly 1.0-inch in the front and 1.2-inches at the rear) which reduces Camry’s overall vehicle height by approximately one inch from the current 7th gen Camry. In addition, an even more aerodynamic shape reduces drag further.

Along the profile, a chrome stripped DLO (around the entire front and rear window frame) and a deeper character line from the front quarter, through the F&R handles and partially into the rear quarter. A steeply angled and shallow depth feature line cuts through both doors and multi-faceted C-Pillar provide even more highlights.

Inside the 2018 Toyota Camry

The driver gauges are angled toward the driver with a new character line flowing down from the instrument cluster and bisects the center console waterfall. See the video for more on the detail. The design uses soft touch and luxury feeling materials.

[​IMG]
    Front dash and seating.​

The front seats have been completely reengineered with improved ergonomics. The Rear-seats are more refined more leg and knee room while the contrast stitching and quilted leather on all seats look great.

[​IMG]
    Rear seating...​

2018 Toyota Camry Displays and Controls

The all-new Camry features Toyota’s latest Human Machine Interface (HMI) displays with three interlinked. An optional 10-inch color Heads-Up Display (HUD); a seven-inch multi-information display within the instrument cluster, and an eight-inch audio/navigation display and HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) control panel.

2018 Toyota Camry Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA)

The 2018 Toyota Camry’s wheelbase has increased by almost two inches with a lower center of gravity. The new lower and near the center of the car seating and lower heel point provides more foot room and ease of movement. The range of steering column adjustment has been increased, while the hood, cowl, and dashboard height have all been lowered for enhanced outward visibility.

The driver and front passenger have improved visibility with a more compact instrument panel and a lowered beltline responsible.

A high greater than 50 percent use of ultra-high-tensile steel (UHSS) and the application of a new molding technology provides higher rigidity.

A new double wishbone rear and retuned steering is said to provide Lexus like ride quality. A new four-point engine mounting system reduces noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

2018 Toyota Camry Drivetrain(s)

The all-new 2018 Camry receives carryover displacements but far from carry over drivetrains. A new 3.5L V6 with D-4S Fuel Injection <-- Who cares about that one. An all-new 40+ percent thermodynamically efficient 2.5L I4 mated to a new 8-speed Direct-Shift AT drives the base Camry The Hybrid receives the engine mated to the next-generation Toyota Hybrid System (THS II). Meaning Prius like efficiency from a more powerful output engine.

This new 2.5L has more hp and torque and lower fuel consumption. Toyota stated rapid combustion due to higher tumble air flow was responsible for the increase of all three attributes.

Deeper within, a long-stroke and high compression ratio, multi-hole direct fuel injectors, variable cooling system and the latest version of Toyota’s Variable Valve-Timing-intelligent Electric (VVT-iE), provides the world-leading thermal efficiency of 40 percent. Along with enhanced performance characteristics, the new engine is also expected to be extremely fuel efficient, and is anticipated to achieve best-in-class fuel economy. It comes mated to the newly developed Direct Shift-8AT transmission that provides direct-lock up from gears two through eight eliminating power loss from the torque converter.

2018 Toyota Camry XSE

[​IMG]
    Floating roof design on the white one. Both with Pano roofs too.​

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid Drivetrain

The new hybrid system has also been engineered to provide more power and efficiency. The hybrid’s Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) features a new Sport Mode allowing quick “gear” shifts simulating a 6-speed AT. The SE grade adds paddle shifters. The Sport Mode improves acceleration and feel thanks to an electric power boost from the hybrid system. The hybrid system’s battery pack was moved from the trunk to beneath the rear seat for an even lower center of gravity.

Like the Prius, the base Camry LE Hybrid may still incorporate the older Ni-MH pack while the rest will use the more advanced - higher energy and power density - Li-Ion.

The real key to the Camry Hybrid reveal is that Toyota stated it will not just achieve best-in-class fuel economy ratings besting the 48 mpg combined rated Accord Hybrid but may even approach their own 4th gen Prius mpg city/highway results. That is a big damn deal!!!

2018 Toyota Camry Safety

Like most vehicles in the Toyota lineup, the all-new Camry receives Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) featuring Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA); and Automatic High Beams (AHB). High end trims will be equipped with standard Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA).

An available Bird’s Eye View Camera with Perimeter Scan will probably be available on the XLE trims.

All 2018 Camry’s include 10 airbags – front, side, side curtains, plus front driver and passenger knee and rear outboard seating side airbags - plus Toyota’s Star Safety System with Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Anti-lock Braking System, and Smart Stop Technology and a standard backup camera.

2018 Toyota Camry Infotainment

A new Toyota Entune 3.0 multimedia system is standard on all models.

The Entune 3.0 system will feature navigation and App Suite Connect for everyone. All Camry I4 and hybrid models will include the Connected Navigation Scout GPS Link with Moving Maps. Camry V6 models will offer a new Dynamic Navigation system with improved map accuracy. The wireless map updates provide over-the-air map downloads of recently added roads and point-of-interest not contained in the existing head unit map.

Entune 3.0 includes an available Remote Connect, which provides remote start and door unlock capability, vehicle status notifications, a guest driver monitor, and vehicle finder. An available Service Connect will provide up-to-date vehicle information on fuel level, maintenance alerts, and more. An available WiFi Connect, allowing up to five mobile devices to connect using 4G LTE will be offered.

Currently, all map and navigation information is stored in the vehicle on either a hard drive, DVD or SD card.

However, roads are always under construction, with new on-ramps, off-ramps, thoroughfares and intersections being added. Not to mention all the new businesses popping up in developing areas.

[​IMG]
    The Entune 3.0 apps...​

To update the embedded map, today customers rely on replacement data, provided at a dealership. The problem is, few customers know these updates are available, and less than 10% ever update their embedded map.

Entune 3.0 has changed that. The 2018 Camry models that have a Data Communication Module (DCM) are always connected to the Toyota Smart Center. Dynamic NAV communicates with the TSC to ensure the most up-to-date map and route is available.

The all-new 2018 Camry will be offered with a JBL audio system featuring new advancements in sound quality. Sound enhancements include Sound Staging, which positions speakers directly in front of the listener to help emulate a live concert venue; Low Frequency Sounds, made possible by an added 10.1-inch subwoofer; Clari-Fi, a technology that “un-compresses” music to help restore an audio track’s dynamic range – see our previous Hyundai write-ups on this - and nine speakers that are specifically tuned to the Camry’s cabin dimensions and materials.

2018 Toyota Camry Specifications

All-new 2.5L I4 Dynamic Force Engine mated to a new Direct Shift-8-speed AT
    3.5L V6 with D-4S Fuel Injection
    Next-generation Toyota Hybrid System (THS II) with Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and a simulated six-speed shifting action

Length: 191.3 in. – .4 in. longer than the 7th gen
    Width: 72.4 in. – 0.7 in. longer than the 7th gen
    Height: 56.7 in. – 1.2 in. longer than the 7th gen
    Wheelbase: 111.2 in – 1.9 inches longer than the 7th gen

BillLin, ALS, kbergene and 1 other person like this.
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Too bad they doubled down on the ugly...

Edit: It's growing on me. Still not wild about the C pillar but the rest might be tolerable.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    TheFordFamily and RedylC94 like this.
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Haven't they crowed something like that at the introduction of every new generation? Then reality sets in ...

xcel likes this.
  4. Don't think the stock photo does it justice. We're trying to get a walk around video before we leave

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

It looks pretty weird, but 40% thermal efficiency is very promising. Maybe the looks will grow on me.

6. We got a good video. Be looking for it soon

7. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

I like it.

Jay, BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. alster

alster Well-Known Member

The Chevy Malibu in my opinion looks a lot better....

9. Bayou

Bayou Member

I'm really excited about the hybrid version.

From the Toyota press release:

I don't really care about the handling aspect of the relocated battery back, but I'm really hoping this means there will be a full trunk pass through. If they also keep the spare tire that would put it above the Hyundai Sonata's Hybrid, for me anyway. I'm also looking forward to hearing the fuel economy numbers considering their claims of best in class.

TheFordFamily, xcel, kbergene and 2 others like this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Well, Natalie Portman looks a lot better than BOTH of them , but you can't drive her to work. Unless you're her chauffeur.

xcel likes this.
  11. alster

alster Well-Known Member

I agree

xcel likes this.
  12. xcel

Hi All:

My best intro came on the Sony a6300 but I am having trouble with the .mp4 files in Corel VideoStudio Pro X6. An old version I know. Working on it...

In the meantime, here is a preview...

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid

[​IMG]
    Exterior...

[​IMG]
    Front dash

[​IMG]
    Rear seating...​

Wayne

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  13. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Here is a report on the new Camry Hybrid battery options video included.

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid: two different battery packs, 'best-in-class' fuel economy claimed

The lighter lithium-ion pack will be used both in a model that delivers the highest fuel-economy ratings and for the heavier, more luxurious XLE and XSE trim levels.

That might indicate that a nickel-metal-hydride pack could be employed in the least expensive base-level Camry Hybrid.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...tery-packs-best-in-class-fuel-economy-claimed

BillLin, TheFordFamily and xcel like this.
  14. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

I like this angle and view from Toyota marketing... I don't care much for the grille close up.
    2018_Toyota_Camry_Hybrid_XLE_01.jpg

xcel likes this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Funny................ if I close my eyes , the grille looks just fine. "Best-in-class fuel economy" ? There's some pretty tough hombres in that class.

As always , competition makes for better cars.

TheFordFamily, BillLin and xcel like this.
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

It probably makes sense to offer the two different battery packs , just like the Gen 4 Prius. The NimH battery is proven and ( relatively ) inexpensive. The people that make that battery ( cells) might want to ramp down production gently, rather than suddenly. I wonder if the cheaper models , both Prius and Camry Hybrid , will be up upgradeable
    if/when the original pack goes kaput ? That would be very thoughtful of 'Yota to make that possible.

TheFordFamily, xcel and BillLin like this.
  17. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

hahahahahahaha

Edit: Here are a couple reasons why upgrades won't happen.
    1 - The NiMH packs aren't likely to go bad. We don't hear of many failures of the Prius NiMH packs, as opposed to the Honda Civic's. I have not heard anything good or bad about the Camry packs.
    2 - Toyota would rather sell you a brand new vehicle.

Yes, it would be nice if there were an upgrade. Imagine the potential pluses if someone came up with a lithium polymer battery pack with battery management system and compatibility with the various aging hybrids out there. Smaller.. Lighter.. That could give those cars a new lease (no pun intended) on life, and electric performance may be better than the original. The new pack would allow for higher input and output currents, provided that current is throttled to within the capabilities of the original motors. Certainly, the lithium polymer packs would likely capture more of the regenerative braking energy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  18. xcel

Hi All:

The full story and static overview video is up. I hope you like it.

Wayne

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  19. xcel

Hi All:

A follow up on our 2018 Toyota Camry Preview detail from the Toyota space at this year's 2017 NAIAS in Detroit.

I had the opportunity to preview the entire pkg. of embargoed 2018 Toyota Camry Press materials tonight. IMHO, there will be a lot more interest in the upcoming Camry and Camry Hybrid for numerous reasons once we are allowed to release the full details and drive impressions. I cannot wait!!! :D

My wave is not until June 13th and the embargo is currently scheduled to end on *Wednesday, June 21 @ 7:00 AM EST*. Expect a lot more from every outlet including here that morning.

2018 Toyota Camry

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  20. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Wayne, looking forward to your review. I wonder if its going to beat the Honda Accord Hybrid when it comes down to MPG's. Looks like the Accord Hybrid is the
    one Toyota had in their sights when it came to the 2018 Camry Hybrid.