Chevrolet BOLT Is The 2017 North American Car of the Year!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 9, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Award winning long-range BEV is ready to take America by storm.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 9, 2016

DETROIT — The Bolt BEV’s has won yet another accolade at the 2017 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. That being the much coveted 2017 North American Car of the Year.

Founded in 1994, the NACTOY group is comprised of 60 professional automotive journalists from the United States and Canada who work for magazines, television, radio, newspapers and websites. NACTOY jurors evaluated dozens of new vehicles that went on sale this year before selecting the Bolt BEV as the 2017 Car of the Year.

The Bolt provides an EPA-estimated 238 miles of range on a full charge at a starting price of $37,495 before federal tax incentives of up to $7,500 depending upon your tax situation. The Bolt BEV adds the title of North America Car of the Year to a growing list of independent accolades. Motor Trend named the Bolt EV the 2017 Car of the Year and it earned a place on the 2017 Car and Driver 10Best Cars list. Green Car Journal also heralded the Bolt EV as the Green Car of the Year and Green Car reports named it the Best New Car to Buy.

Standard Bolt BEV features include electronic precision shift, Regen on Demand steering wheel paddle and a 10.2-inch-diagonal color touchscreen. The top-trim Premier model adds leather-appointed seats, front and rear heated seats, surround vision camera, rear camera mirror and more...

[​IMG]

The Bolt EV rolled out in California and Oregon markets last month, with additional markets in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States, including New York, Massachusetts and Virginia scheduled for early this year. The Bolt EV will be available at certified dealerships across the U.S. in mid-2017.

The 2017 Chevrolet Bolt in Detail

The Bolt is a clean-sheet design with crossover-like proportions built around a single, 200 hp and 266 lb.-ft. of torque electric motor.

Combined with a 7.05:1 final drive ratio, the Bolt EV can dash from 0-60 mph in under seven seconds.

Power delivery is controlled by Chevrolet’s first Electronic Precision Shift system – a shift and park-by-wire system that sends electronic signals to the Bolt EV’s drive. The by-wire shifter requires less packaging space than a traditional mechanical shifter, resulting in more interior space and improved interior layout.

Powering that motor is a large 60 kWh Li-Ion battery pack with 10 modules and 96 cell groups (three cells per group).

The base charger is a 7.2 kW onboard unit for Level-1 (120V) and Level-2 (240V) is standard.

An optional SAE DC Fast Charging system can charge the battery from flat to 38 percent in 30 minutes.

Inside, a large 10.2-inch-diagonal color touch-screen display with “flip-board” operation, rear camera mirror, and Surround Vision are standard.

LED headlamps and taillamps are also standard.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt Safety

Ten standard air bags including front, side, side curtains plus both driver and passenger front knee and outboard side airbags. A first in the B-Segment.

Optional active safety features including Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Forward Collision Alert and Forward Pedestrian Alert.

BillLin likes this.
  2. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I think the Bolt EV is totally deserving of this award; but it stands in stark contrast to the the previous GM vehicles, which are tepid at best, and mostly forgettable.

The Bolt EV is the most important vehicle of the decade, or even of the 21st century.

BillLin likes this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I've been a Japanese car-guy for the last 35 years, but when I look at Chevrolet's lineup today , I'm pretty impressed.

I hope the new administration will fully support EV's.

BillLin likes this.
  4. xcel

Hi All:

I spiced it up a bit from the straight up release.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV - The New 2017 North American Car of the Year

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. I felt the same. Then I bought a car in their recent lineup.
    I go back to firmly believing they can make an awesome truck and some decent full size cars, but run from the small to mid size cars. Run away with every ounce of energy you can muster.
    YMMV

xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Looks like the Bolt would be a great in town/city delivery vehicle, more so if there is a fast charger on the business site. Long trips not so much. I still like the Volt idea as our 2016 Volt even with cold temps in the 20's - 30's, my wife still has a 45 mile electric range for her 32 mile commute, and she keeps the heat on 75 or so and does not drive for fuel economy. Summer 55+ is her usual electric range. Also if the power goes out she can still go anywhere she needs to go with a full tank of gas, with well over 40 mpg on the gas engine. This winter many places in the U.S. lost power for an extended period of time that would render the Bolt useless, or any other pure electric vehicle as well.

Still a great achievement for GM.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

Chevrolet indicated it delivered 1,162 Bolts in January which means to dealerships. This morning Chevrolet stated they delivered the first three Bolt EVs to customers, fulfilling the brand’s promise to offer a long-range electric vehicle at an affordable price.

Named the Motor Trend 2017 Car of the Year®, the Bolt EV offers an EPA-estimated 238 miles of range on a full charge, enabling owners to go beyond average daily driving needs with range to spare.

The Bolt EV begins at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $37,495, which includes destination and freight charges, but excludes tax, title, license and dealer fees. Depending on individual tax situations, customers may receive an available federal tax credit of up to $7,500.

Additional Bolt EVs are currently in transit to California and Oregon markets and are arriving this month. A national rollout begins in 2017, and a number of Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States including New York, Massachusetts and Virginia will see first deliveries this winter. Bolt EVs will arrive to more dealerships in additional major metro markets throughout the first half of 2017. The Bolt EV will be available at Bolt EV-certified dealerships across the United States in mid-2017.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.