Your final answer is? The 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Jan 6, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Marian went shopping last night. What she bought however would not fit into the back of the MDX so she drove it home instead. ;)

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited

[​IMG]

After over 18-months of wrangling and she finally decided…

As some here know, the CX-5 has been high on her list since I first drove one way back in 2014. When the 17 refresh came out, she felt it lost its luster with the overbearing inset grille. She also had more than just a sit down in one and said the latest interior appointments felt a bit cold vs. the 16. We already know the efficiency and emissions were going to fall short of my expectations and there is little discounting so maybe this was a blessing in disguise.

2017 Mazda CX-5

[​IMG]
    From the floor of the LA Auto Show this past November.​

Next up came the stunning and just refreshed 2017 Rogue. Her favorite interior of all choices thanks in part to the softest foam under the leather appointed seats you can buy. In addition, it includes a very well thought out refresh of the exterior face, F&R fascias, plus interior and door inserts. Where it fell short was the infotainment - audio and NAVI were to far behind - and again the efficiency was not quite where I wanted her to be.

2017 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Hybrid

[​IMG]
    A great interior form, function and appearance but only a so so infotainment system.​

The next one was kind of a last minute addition as she still wanted the utility of a CUV but not the shortfalls of the other two. The brow DRL LEDs really give the Tucson a new look and pricing was certainly in its favor with an easy $5k off just about anywhere we wanted to shop. Since I have never driven the ECO variant however, I only had the 1.6L Limited to judge its efficiency capability on. Segment competitive for sure but 30 mpg for Marian's back and forth commute was still on the low side. If only it had received the 16/17 Sonata Hybrid drivetrain? :(

2017 Hyundai Tucson

[​IMG]
    LED DRL Headlamp layout. A darn sharp looking feature included as part of a really competitive package.​

And of course the Guinness World Record Setting 2017 Kia Niro. She has ridden/driven the LX trim and even visited the local Kia dealership with a static Niro Touring trim twice since the GWR was set. The low consumption and emissions were perfect, the rumored under $25k starting point for the LX trim was also a good start. Her feelings were it was a bit small side to side, the leather was a bit to stiff for her tastes, and she all but demanded a full Panoramic roof which is not available on the Niro. Its real demise however was the need to get a new vehicle just after the New Year. She had promised the MDX to our Grandson when he receives his license. That occurred today in fact leaving the Niro and the much anticipated Hyundai Ioniq sibling short of the cut.

2017 Kia Niro Touring

[​IMG]

What about the 2017 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In? Remember her desire for a full panoramic powered sunroof? That feature is not offered with the PHEV-27. The small trunk also set it back in her eyes.

2016/2017 Hyundai Sonata PHEV-27

[​IMG]
    The 9.9 cu.ft. trunk was not enough and no panoramic roof was its downfall.​

How about the refreshed 2016/2017 Honda Accord Hybrid? It certainly met the efficiency and emissions targets. She received about 47 mpg on her std. RT work commute when we had it last spring which was excellent imho. Her take was the leather felt cold and was a bit too hard, no knob infotainment control was a non-starter, the RCC was to erratic, no panoramic roof offering, and the price was a bit aggressive to the high side. Not so much MSRP maybe but the OTD pricing as the local Honda dealer did not want to budge but $2,500 off sticker.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

[​IMG]
    A lot of good but its the small stuff that knocked it out of contention.​

On the value front, I wanted her to consider the 2017 Hyundai Elantra ECO. The 1.6L-T mated to that fast shifting 7-speed DCT was not only the highest efficiency non-hybrid/non-diesel w/ an AT we have driven but finding them for < $17k was as easy as driving to any Hyundai dealership that had them on their lot. Marian was achieving 47 mpg on her RT work commute. Far above its diminutive 32/40 mpg rating mind you... When driving the less efficient Limited this past summer and shopping it over the past two weeks, her take was no-way on the ECO. There was simply not enough equipment for her tastes despite the great value proposition. She did not like the cloth, lack of any sun roof canceled it before we really even started, and its rear seat knee and leg room felt small to her. Meaning the Elantra Limited with its std. powered roof was also out of contention. This was saddening to me as the fully loaded with everything 2017 Elantra's were going out the door for just over $20k with $7k on the hood locally.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited

[​IMG]
    This or the Eco trim did not make the cut despite the superior value.​

And what about the 2016 Honda Civic Sedan?

There is a lot to be said for its styling. Even Marian liked it and that is not her forte. The efficiency was decent as she was achieving low to mid 40s in the Touring trim sedan w/ the 1.5T on her RT work commute. That was acceptable to me too. Where it fell apart was no knobs to control anything and the rough RCC action. Pricing was a bit steep as discounts are available but nothing compared to the Hyundai lineup.

2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan

[​IMG]
    Easily the best looking affordable sedan imho with power and efficiency in abundance.​

There was a lot of argument about the new Mini Cooper mixed in. She wanted it for the panache yet all this time she was also talking how she wanted the utility of her MDX… I do not have much hair and what little I do was being pulled out strand by strand with that kind of talk. I showed her a J.D. Power IQS survey and that discussion was finally closed. I am sure I will hear about it again before the week is out though???

All of the above brought discussion back to the 16/17 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Some may remember I was searching for a 2016 with the Panoramic roof last Christmas – 2015 – and again in mid to late summer of 2016. The Limited with the Pano roofs were far and few between. I found a white one with gray interior and the roof in Albuquerque! They would only come down $4k when locally $6 to $8k was on the hood so that was out.

A local Hyundai dealer in Temecula mysteriously received an allotment of 10 or so of them a few months back. The online advertised pricing was right, the Limited with the Ultimate pkg. was right, and just before I hung up the phone to head over, I asked about the miles. It was a good thing as I discovered all of them were program cars. Meaning marketing mules and each had between 1,200 and 5,000 miles. WTF, advertising a car new with that many miles? Immediately after the disclosure, the sales manager is telling me the full warranty is still intact as these were never owned by anyone other than the manufacturer blah blah blah. The more I heard the hotter I got. It was simply deceptive advertising in no uncertain terms.

2106 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited

[​IMG]
    Along the shores of Lake Michigan at dawn welcoming the new day about to unfold...​

But that was then, and this is now. On December 30th when the promise of the MDX giveaway once a license was received was announced, I was told find one now. Oh #*%!, here we go again… Of course there was no way to take advantage of the $500 discount BoostUp program since that ended on Jan. 2nd and the mandatory 30 days hold time blew it out. Also, the Holiday discounts that were being promoted all over Southern Calif. had all but disappeared. I could almost feel a good old fashion fleecing was about to occur. Two local area dealers and one about 45 miles away had a number of full boat Limited’s with the Ultimate package – meaning panoramic roofs and all the safety fixins. There were even some exterior/interior color choices! Marian always wanted a white exterior with gray interior. The first and closest store visit yielded a change to the beige interior!!! I am thinking this is going to be a total bust as next thing we will be looking at is a V8 equipped Pickup truck or some other crazy spur of the moment want!!!

2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited

[​IMG]
    Where do you want to drive efficiently today?​

Fortunately that did not happen and with two store visits, the $35,650 list 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited with the Ultimate pkg. - mats, cargo net, rear bumper applique, and first aid kit were also on the Monroney - with 14 miles on its clock was signed off at $29,475 + TTL + (2) $50 Amazon gift cards for coming into the dealership to test drive a car. 2-hours later she is driving her new car home and I am online searching for OEM or non-OEM all-weather mats. WeatherTech received $160 for $260 worth of their own front, rears and cargo mats on Amazon thanks to the gift cards. My next hurdle is where am I going to store the OEM carpeted mats now?

Was or is your new car buying process moving in the same direction? Let us know below...

Carcus, BillLin, ksstathead and 2 others like this.
  2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Awesome choice. Probably the most comfortable seats and driving position for long trips, great fuel economy, and a lifetime battery warranty. Ready for long distance vacations as well as ticking the hours away on the 405 in daily commutes.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Well that's certainly an upgrade from the MDX! Nice!

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Your wife and I are diametric opposites. I love the styling of the new CX-5 and I hate sunroofs. Also, the harder seat foam can be more comfortable on long trips than the soft. Of the cars listed, I like the CX-5 the most. On the other hand, the Hyundai Sonata is a good road car with room for big gorillas inside. I don't like the way it handles (feels very big and heavy and no steering feedback with very hybridy brakes). My sister gets into the low 50s both around town and on the road with her 2016. Build quality and reliability are first rate.

BillLin, TheStepChild and xcel like this.
  5. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

That's not bad, Jay. I've been considering a hybrid with better winter fixings than my Prius. The lack of heated seats is killing me, and no heated mirrors is a real PITA. There have been a few occasions where I had condensation on the mirrors and no way to burn it off while driving. OTOH, the DRCC, while not perfect, is admirable on a car I paid about 25K for. The safety additions push the HSH up to 35K list. Dealer last week did tell me the lower end Sonata could have heated seats and a donut spare added as options.

6. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Hyundai's lifetime battery warranty is a plus, that why were looking at the Ioniq blue drive, 58 mpg per EPA, and the plug in Ioniq, no word on the EPA on this model
    but I would expect 55 mpg or so...

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Thunderstruck, the SE trim HSH (2016) is very well equipped and doesn't have the hated sunroof which is a plus. It lacks an important feature, though--the ability to fold the rear seats forward to expand the smallish trunk space. Not sure about the 2017.

BillLin and RedylC94 like this.
  8. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Wayne, are you going to chart fuel economy and maintenance and such in your wife's new car? Would be interested in seeing what kind of results she obtains in real world, daily driving and how reliable the car is.

9. xcel

Hi Thunderstruck:

Since I am on the road so much, I may not be able to catch all Marian's refuelings but I will most certainly be updating the maintenance costs as they occur. I will do my best to keep up with it. I posted on FB tyhat I thought she would be a 41 to 43 mpg driver given her early drives last year in the Press cars and her new one in colder and wetter weather.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi All:

A quick update...

Marian's first tank was just 39.x and she has filled a number of times since while I was out of Calif. with displays ranging from 40.0 to 43.1. Her current display with just under a half a tank.

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited

[​IMG]
    41.7 mpg indicated - 41.0 mpg actual.​

All in, it appears she is settling in on just over the EPA combined of 40 mpg from the 38/43/40 mpgUS city/highway/combined rated Sonata Hybrid Limited.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Good job to Marian meeting EPA ratings.

xcel likes this.