Hyundai's U.S. President and CEO Dave Zuchowski Leaves

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Jan 3, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]Hyundai announced a continuation of its reorg that began late this year by appointing W. Gerald (Jerry) Flannery as interim president and CEO, effective immediately. He succeeds Dave Zuchowski who will be leaving the company.

Flannery, who has been with Hyundai since 1987 and is responsible for all legal matters in the U.S., will retain his duties as Chief Legal and Safety Officer. He is widely recognized as an authority on automotive product liability, regulatory and safety matters. His immediate focus will be enhancing the company’s brands, accelerating change for growth and customer satisfaction opportunities in the U.S. market.

Since joining Hyundai during its infancy in 1987, Flannery has been instrumental in leading the company through periods of rapid change and positioning it for steady growth. Recently, he created Hyundai’s first safety office in North America. Previously, Flannery was a senior attorney in the Office of the General Counsel at Ford Motor Co.

A search for Zuchowski’s replacement will begin immediately...

I do not know what to make of this. Dave was just beginning to hit his stride after they let John Krafcik go a few years back. I hope the U.S. team makes the transition smoothly.

BillLin likes this.
  2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

It seems that while still profitable, profit numbers have been going in the wrong direction.

The issue is that they got caught without enough variety or stock in the crossover segment and so they're stuck trying to sell sedans in a market where people want a tall hatchback. It's not easy to shuffle product mix as fast as the market whim requires, but it appears that the corporate cousin went toward the crossover market and by luck or chance ended up in the right place at the right time.
    Kia makes the Soul from the same platform/guts that Hyundai sells as the Veloster. One outsells the other by 4:1.
    Kia will sell the Niro crossover using the platform that Hyundai will sell as the Ioniq. I am willing to bet a chicken salad sandwich that one is going to sell a lot faster than the other, neglecting any artificial demand created by incentives.
    Hyundai is promising the ix25 is coming soon. In two years. By then, gas will be back to $4 a gallon and people will be selling used Prius c hatchbacks for over book value.

Jay, BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I don't want a tall hatchback !

RedylC94 and BillLin like this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Great, a bean counter for CEO of another US car company and a lawyer bean counter at that. We can expect nice safe plain-vanilla boring cars without any chances taken, presumbably. My favorite car CEO was Soichiro Honda who was a car guy (and a motorcycle guy). He was an engineer that loved cars and motorcycles; and car and motorcycle racing; and this love was reflected in all Honda's products. The loss of Soichiro really hurt Honda's reputation for performance. They became a committee company with nice safe soul-less products that made some money but only because all Honda's competitors were headed by the same gutless, loveless, mediocrity.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

On the bright side, some Niro reviewers have stated that the vehicle is more of a wagon than a CUV though the cues are there. It is wider and lower (both overall height and ground clearance) so I'm happy to go with the "wagon" assessment as that is what I prefer as well. There isn't a lot of air in the wheel wells, so also good for aero. The aero treatments that Wayne showed us for the Niro undercarriage are outstanding.

xcel likes this.
  6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

The tall hatchback is where the market is right now. Compare sales of Chevy Trax and Buick Encore to its low-slung parent - the Chevy Sonic. The current generation Equinox is an evolution of the old 2002 Saturn Vue, which itself grew from the Opel-based Saturn L Series from late 1999, and it still sells in significant numbers.

What kills me is the need for "AWD". How did America survive without it? How have I driven - or ridden in - cars that were rear drive and later front drive - and I am still here to tell the story? My earliest memories involved cars that had four iron brake drums, no seat belts, and a metal dashboard so hard you could snap 2x4 yellow pine boards against it. Still alive, still here...

What is encouraging about the Niro is its fuel economy capability. It achieves numbers that a decade ago were associated with a 2nd-gen Prius.

Hyundai seems to rotate the CEOs in the US every few years just to keep the chair from getting too warm. I don't think Mr. Z did anything wrong other than survive 36 months in the hot seat. When your time is up, it's up. And they replace you.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Heck , I'd call the Sonic hatch a "tall" hatchback. I'm comparing it to my 89 Civic Si ( you know , the one in Honda Heaven). The Toyota 86 is "low-slung". But only the young and fearless will drive a car that is so low to the ground in this truck/SUV/CUV/minivan country(world). Hey , I'm young and fearless ! Where's my 86 with the Gen 4 Prius hardware ?

Yes , the Niro is a station wagon , and that's a good thing. Could it be a bit lower ? Maybe , but as you say , that's not what the market wants.

As usual , Chris , your insights about the auto industry are spot on.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Somehow , I survived without it for xx years of Snow Belt driving. But what makes 2WD cars , even FWD cars difficult in the snow is the non-linear , abrupt throttle response that consumers seem to love so much. Every one of my Hondas was difficult in the snow because of that. I even accepted the fact that you really need snow tires to be safe. Now , with all cars being drive-by-wire, they can easily offer "winter" modes. But most cars don't. The Prius was a nice surprise ; it's almost bulletproof in the snow with its very linear and soft throttle response ( and great weight). Only ground clearance limits me in the snow. If you live in a civilized area , they plow the roads ( eventually). If you live in the boondocks , I'm jealous, dammit.

9. litesong

litesong litesong

An old thread & I've touched on the subject before. With my bigger used tire advantages that I have noted often, is the extra three quarter to 1inch extra ground clearance on my Hyundai Accent, compared to OE tires. I adore the extra space underneath. Also, the extra nearly 2.4 inches of tread on my drive wheels, feels that the big tires grasp the snow better.
    I don't expect you to put 2 inch extra tall tires on your Prius, as I got away with on my Accent. But any extra clearance you get from taller tires is sweet.
    P.S. One thing I just noticed with bigger tires filling the wheel wells. Snow & ice get trapped more readily between the tire & mudflaps. Is this anything to be concerned about? I might clear snow between the tires & mudflaps after a drive, so the snow won't turn to ice overnight & I drive off the next morning. I might think that weakly attached mudflaps may more readily become detached from the car. Any other concerns?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. BillLin

Narrow tires that bite, are better for snow and ice. Wide tires are trouble in snow. Good for driving on some sand, though, if you let some air out. :) Ground clearance in the snow has never been a problem for me in the various Prius over the years. A few inches or recently plowed roads are not a problem. If it is deep enough to be of concern, traction issues can develop, depending on the temperature and texture of the snow. I hate 'greasy' snow. The OEM tires just would not grab on that type of snow.

Hey Edwin, you ought to learn how to disable the traction control. If you ever get stuck in snow, it helps to have full spin control of the tires. On some slippery uphills, disabling traction control can be the difference between getting up the hill or sliding back down. I've had to back down my hill a few times before I learned... No substitute for snow tires, though. :)

litesong and xcel like this.
  11. litesong

litesong litesong

I assume you talk about snow tires. For 50 years, I survived NOT using snow tires. If this man-made global warming thing continues, more easily sending snow our way, I should look into snow tires mounted on an extra set of wheels. However, till now, it has been warm this latter fall, going into winter.

EdwinTheMagnificent, BillLin and xcel like this.
  12. BillLin

Didn't you just encounter some snow going for a fill of E0 gasoline?

13. litesong

litesong litesong

Yeah, began my ride at 43degF & came home in the snow. Like I said, " if'n this here man-muffed global warmin' keeps pushin' snow our way". But, the "SUB-TEEN" temps like we used to get in the winter are getting rarer. Even use to get sub-zero at times, but haven't seen that in a decade & a half(+?). But usually no snow falls during the really cold stuff. Yeah, we got a lot of 40 to 50+degF temps until this Arctic breeze. & Washington D.C. just had 70degF, while pressy-dent "don'T rump" posted the White House with snow flakes fallin'. No lyin' there.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    xcel, BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  14. EdwinTheMagnificent

I had some dealer-installed ( at my request) mudflaps on my 89 Civic. Even with standard spec tires ( 185/60R14 ) snow would/could build up in there.
    I would usually give a good kick with the heel of my shoe to break it free. The mudflaps never broke.
    Looking back , mudflaps may be just another good place for road salt to sit and work on your car's steel. I say this sadly when I think about that car ,
    which is now up in Honda Heaven.

xcel, BillLin and litesong like this.
  15. BillLin

I agree about another place to hold road salt... I used to like the look of mud flaps and had them. Now, I keep the car mostly stock except for adding 'vent shade' type window guards so you can keep a window cracked open and not have rain/snow come in. Probably hurts aero efficiency a tiny bit but it is a trade-off. Strictly function, not for the looks.

Edit: After all this time with the Bolt being in production, I have not found anyone who makes vent shade type window guards for the Bolt. (as of a few months ago when I last looked)

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  16. litesong

litesong litesong

My low-model Dodge Caliber came with no mudflaps. But I got four fairly good straight mudflaps (with Ram symbol) for $1 & put them on the Caliber. Over time, the air permanently curved them a lttle bit, giving the Caliber a racy look. Custom designed.... fer $1.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 3:38 AM
    EdwinTheMagnificent, BillLin and xcel like this.
  17. litesong

litesong litesong

Some time ago, I got two free 195x75x14 inch SNOW tires, w/v.good tread & studs. I had my mechanic mount them on 14 inch steels for our Hyundai Accent front drive, to replace 205x65x15 inchers for the season. I've never had snows & may venture toward the mountains.
    I had two nice used 16 inch alloy wheels (got cheap) on which my mechanic mounted two cheap spare (but never used) 215x55z16 inch Goodyear Eagle GT & Continental Pro-Contact tires. Altho not snow tires, they now provide better traction in the snow than my dismounted 215x45x18 inch Goodyear Eagle GT tires that were worn.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  18. litesong

litesong litesong

My mechanic also temporarily dropped the tire pressures by 10 PSI. I think that, as much as the tire changes, are helping the snow traction. When the snow melts, I'll have him raise the tire pressures back up.

BillLin likes this.
  19. litesong

litesong litesong

Until then tho, Stevens Pass Highway 2 has been closed for the last 3 days, even way down into the valley, due to snow & many falling trees. People in towns above the line are stranded. There are reports that supplies will be sent to the towns into the mountains. Yesterday, a huge fat cottonwood tree crushed, not one, but two houses simultaneously.
    East of Salish Sea (Puget Sound), temperatures are warming, but brisk winds, impinging on snow covered trees, may cause further damage. Further west, Washington state Olympic mountains & peninsula should get more snow.

BillLin likes this.
  20. BillLin

edit: never mind... ignore this paragraph. I reread your note and see the relative change vs. absolute tire pressure // (without knowing what tires these are...) That's just crazy low! I've never seen pressures that low other than when off-roading or it's my brush mower tire. //

Is your mechanic any relation to you? Are you getting free/cheap service? All these tire swaps and balancing would normally cost a lot.