2016 Volt vs 2010 Prius gas engine mpg

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by alster, Dec 31, 2016.

1. alster

alster Well-Known Member

We have a 2016 Volt Premier we purchased in June 2016 now closing in on 10,000 miles, my wife's car.

I noticed that the last month or so when running just on gas, reg. 87 octane with 10% ethanol (winter blend),
    the Volt has averaged 45.5 mpg. Now our 2010 Prius, same fuel, same time frame, last fillup, calculated of course was 43.5 mpg.

Yesterday with dry roads and temps in the high 30's to low 40's are nearly 100 mile round trip we averaged 48 mpg on the Volt.

I now have noticed that the Volt when running just on gas in the winter does not take a big hit on mpg like our Prius does. Now the Prius in summer is always mid 50's to near 60 mpg, quite a big swing. I wonder if any forum members who own both a Prius and 2nd gen Volt have noticed the same issue.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Does your Volt have automatic grille shutters?. Perhaps you need to block the Prius grille.

xcel likes this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

HI Alster:

I never found the second and especially the first generation Volt to be that efficient on the ICE. Mid 50s to low 60s whereas the 3rd gen Prius was always a 60s to 70 mpg car. ON electric however, wow! I never completed a back to back between the two however and your details are very relevant!

2016 Chevrolet Volt

[​IMG]
    Nothing in the segment beats the Volts looks however. ;)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.