Time to start used-EV shopping

Discussion in 'General' started by some_other_dave, Dec 30, 2016.

1. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

BillLin likes this.
  2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Been seeing it all over the place. All you have to do is look at Off Lease Only and see the prices dropping on both Hybids and BEVs.

3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Who is losing money on these leases? I suspect it is the taxpayers.

phoebeisis likes this.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

But but the actual price a normal buyer pays is $10,000?
    For used FIAT
    what do the normal FIAT 500's go for?
    Heck what is the BEST PRICE anyone has seen for a NEW PRIUS?
    Or a PIP?

BillLin likes this.
  5. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I saw my dealer was offering $1000 cash back or .09% financing on the standard 17 Prius and the 17 Prime.

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  6. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Well, you could make an argument that the taxpayers are "losing money" on any electric vehiclke that gets a $7500 tax credit. But we as a society through our elected representatives have decided to spend some of our wealth to achieve a goal, reducing fossil fuel use and emissions. I think that a wise use of our tax dollars, especially compared to some of the boondoggles government gets involved in. Some may disagree.
    The ultimate "losers" are the manufacturers. They have to out a high residual on these cars in order to make the lease price attractive. When a vehicle that is carrying a $10K residual goes through auction at $5K, the manufacturer has to eat that difference. Of course, they will use that loss to offset profits to lower their tax bill, so the taxpayers do pay a portion of the loss in the form of reduced tax revenue. At least some of us can derive a benefit from that. IE, a bargain electric car.

phoebeisis, kbergene and BillLin like this.
  7. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

ALS is right. Just surfing on Carvana this morning, a 2015 Leaf with 22K miles and the quick charge port sold for $9500.
    They have a 2013 500E for $7500. Charlie, the regular 500 is selling for that price or a little more depending on model. I sold my 2013 500 sport with 36K miles on it in august for $8500.
    A 2015 500E is in the $9K range

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.