New Car?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by TheFordFamily, Dec 14, 2016.

?

Which car would you choose?

1. Toyota Prius V

50.0%
  2. C-Max Hybrid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C-Max Energi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

50.0%
  1. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, spouse started their new job at the hospital on Monday! (yay) It's a PRN gig, so it's work whenever really. So, interviewing for a state job that is 25 miles away. Fairly confident that he'll get it.

So, my question is, if we were looking for a new/used car, what would you pick? I personally need something that sits a bit higher up due to a disability that makes it hard for me to get into smaller cars. Trust me, I would buy a regular Prius if I could get into it.

I've already looked at a C-Max Hybrid and Prius V. Also would consider an Energi or similar plug-in. Of the few choices I have hybrid/plug-in wise, what would you recommend?

I didn't have a chance to drive the V, but if it averages 45-50 MPG I'll be happy. I also drove the C-Max, it feels a lot smaller than the V inside, but the driving of it was nice. It was very quiet compared to my car.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi TheFordFamily:

The Niro may prove to be better choice.

My thoughts anyway?

Wayne

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

RAV4 hybrid? Don't know much about it, coulda had an "open house" look at it last fall (grand kids Christmas concert trumped that :rolleyes:), and it is a step down in mpg compared to the Prius family. Good in snow.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    xcel likes this.
  4. TheFordFamily

Niro might be good, I haven't seen any advertisement or anything about it around here yet.

The RAV4 hybrid would be a good choice, but EPAs are the same as my current car and if there's going to be 50 miles a day I would want that number to be higher :(

xcel and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I know that you only presented hatches of some sort, but you didn't really specify. I would think that a 2016 and up Hyundai Sonata Hybrid would fit the bill and it has an enormous amount of bang for the buck. I am currently driving a 2017 Sonata 2.4 rental and I am easily getting over 35 mpgs without even trying and with 3 people in the car. That includes a lot of time in Florida rain which is just brutal on fuel economy. I am 6'2" and about 240 and people (adults) can actually sit behind me with zero issues.

xcel likes this.
  6. TheFordFamily

How easy is the Sonata to get in and out of? I wanted something that sits higher since it's hard for me to bend over.

xcel likes this.
  7. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that is very subjective. I've been in the military for the last 25 years and my doctors think that I am a little touched when it comes to my pain threshold. I will say this, compared to my Audi TT, it's like driving a truck, lol. Compared to my Crosstrek, I find that it sits a tad bit lower, but I tend to put my seats to the floor when driving. If you were to raise the seat, I think it would be very comparable. It is quite a bit larger than my Crosstrek and I am finding it extremely comfortable. Especially when carting around grown men that tend to range in the 6'+ category and weighing in around 220+. We have all commented on how comfortable the car is.

Sorry if that long diatribe spun you around in circles. The best thing that you can do is go sit in one and see how it feels. I have walked away from many a car without even driving them due to ergonomics.

xcel and TheFordFamily like this.
  8. TheFordFamily

While I was at the dealer looking at the V, I tried getting into the new Prius. I opened the door and started to sit down and couldn't even do it LOL it sits way too low. Even my Focus is low and difficult for me to get in and out of, hence me wanting the new car.

Not sure what touched means when it comes to your pain threshold, I'm sure that it can be tough somedays though. I have pain all throughout my legs and it just is so bothersome sometimes. It's more difficult for me to use the joints in my knees and back so something that I can just slide into would help.

xcel likes this.
  9. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I have arthritis in both knees and my right hip. Add to that, extensive nerve damage in my right foot. Some of the doctors that I have to see annually are amazed that I walk, let alone keep up with the 20 somethings while performing physical training. I think it is the physical training that still allows to move as well as I do. There are days that I sound like Rice Krispies getting out of bed, Snap, Crackle, Pop, lol.

Again, comfort is all subjective. It seems that mobility is your weak link to being able to use the joints that you mentioned. I will admit that mpgs are on my list, but not at the top when purchasing a new car. First and foremost is ergonomics. For the longest time I would not look at most imports due to the fact that they seemed to be built for someone much smaller than me. Nowadays, ergonomics have come a long way in even the smallest of cars. That all being said, I still think that with the seat raised, the Sonata might have the ergos that you are looking for. Unfortunately, only you will be able to decide.

Good luck in your hunt! That's my favorite part.

10. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

I'm with Wayne, wait for the Kia Niro if it's similar to the Soul which my daughter has is the best handicapped car I have ever gotten in/out of. The Sonata is very low and difficult to exit and my Sienna it a little too tall for entry.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    xcel likes this.
  11. TheFordFamily

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will take them all into consideration once the time comes. I will probably wait for the Niro, the dealership said they expect it to be there sometime in January/February, but no guarantees.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  12. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

You didn't specify a price preference. If price is a consideration, i would go for the C-Max, used. They are a huge bargain right now. A co worker just picked up a 2013 for $10,900 and loves it! He used to have a Prius V and likes this Ford better.
    If the prices isn't a big issue, the new Niro looks like a great option.