2017 Civic Sedan 1.5t 6mt steady states

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Carcus, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Here are my "unofficial" steady state numbers,.. temps from 60 to 67 deg f, winds out of the NW at 5 to 10 mph, tires at 38 psi (32 door jamb, 44 max sidewall) aFCD offset from 1200+ miles driving and 3 fill comparisons, odometer offset from google maps comparison and garmin gps comparison,. fuel was Conoco 87 EO, elevation +/- 50', mpg averaged in 2 directions.

50 mph = 66.4 mpg
    60 mph = 59.3 mpg
    70 mph = 49.4 mpg

/aFCD and odometer offset = .9915

Markus, ALS, xcel and 3 others like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Nice ! Beats the heck outta my 2008 Civic 5AT. And around here, E0 fuel is just a distant memory.

xcel likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That's great, Carcus! What are you getting around town?

xcel likes this.
  4. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I'm getting 45 mpg in a busy suburban environment using DWL, skip shifting, coasting in neutral when convenient... do not use any engine off,.

Very pleased with what I'm getting. Honda seems to have improved (reduced) the A/C compressor load by quite a bit. Gen 9 could result in a 10% drop in economy if A/C or defog were used, I don't think I'm seeing that in Gen 10. ... and very happy to report that Honda's "road gearing" is not an issue for highway mpg.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Jay and xcel like this.
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carcus:

Excellent!

I will use your offset to make a graph for it.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Carcus likes this.
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I find it quite interesting that this car performs so well at the higher speeds. What I thought could be a weak spot (plummeting mpg at higher speeds due to Honda gearing) turned out to be the opposite. This may be one of the best [THE best?] high speed highway** cruisers available, even rivaling the jetta tdi.

**(high speed on the highway -- not that I'm condoning that kind of thing)

xcel likes this.
  7. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Good to hear. I am hoping to try out a hatchback manual sometime over my Christmas break.

xcel likes this.
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I think you'll like it. The hatch will suffer a little on the highway from the aero, but hopefully not too much.

xcel likes this.
  9. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has the Touring and has raved about it since his purchase at the beginning of Summer. This is one vehicle that I think Honda knocked out of the park. When he let me drive it, I could not believe that it was a Civic. I am glad that the car is doing you so well.

xcel likes this.
  10. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Thanks, Honda has kicked the Civic up to a new level, kind of like Ford did with the Taurus (but not to the same degree).

I think if you take the 9th gen Civic and a 3 series BMW, then Honda made about a 1/2 step move towards the 3 series with the 10 gen civic.

I'm not sure I'd want everything (or to pay for everything) that comes on the touring,.. but am happy I "sprang" for the EX trim.

xcel likes this.
  11. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I've seen some comparisons within the Honda forums to the Audi A3 by members that have owned both of them. After driving the Civic, I can easily see the comparison.

He stated that he got a great deal and he really wanted the added features. I will admit, after having adaptive cruise control, I don't think that the wife and I would settle for stand CC in our primary family vehicle. That being said, it is amazed at to what my standards have evolved to. It use to be that all I truly wanted was power mirrors, A/C and CC. Now it seems that I have gotten too spoiled and truly want it all, lol.

xcel likes this.
  12. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I have to wonder if Honda didn't see the "diesel-gate" scandal coming and they spent the extra time on gen 10 civic to try and grab market share from wounded VW, .. and if they'll aggressively market the 1.5t+6mt combo in Europe? I think this engine/tranny combo could've been stiff competition for VW's 2.0 tdi + 6mt, even before the emissions fiasco.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    xcel likes this.
  13. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

With numbers like that on the highway why would anyone look at a hybrid due to the premium.

You'll be able to score a two or three year old 17 Civic under $16K down the road.

xcel likes this.
  14. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

The 1.6TD + 6mt should be a good amount more efficient than the 1.5T. 1.5T will likely be the higher trim and higher performance option.

xcel likes this.
  15. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

It might be more efficient, but once you get past a real world 40+ mpg (...and even with expensive euro fuel) , I'm not sure how many will choose extra efficiency when they could choose 50+% extra horsepower .

/I guess Honda is "re-tuning" the 1.6TD, .. so maybe the hp delta won't be so big.
    // surely the 1.5t is cheaper to build than the 1.6 td (?)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    xcel likes this.
  16. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

91 octane mpg increase:

Observed an approximate 7% increase in the 70 mph steady state with 91 E0 vs 87 E0 (52 mpg at 57 deg F calm winds)

ALS, BillLin and PaleMelanesian like this.
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Sure , but try driving that Civic in MY stop'n'crawl , and you will truly know the answer. I'd love to have a highway car like that Civic , but I'd be wearing out the ignition switch in less than a year in my typical driving. Slight exaggeration , I know , but I could not tolerate having a car where the engine does not shut off when not needed. Since I can only afford one car right now , the Prius really does the job.

18. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carcus:

Your 17 Civic Sedan with the 6-speed MT is HOT given the Speed vs FE graph.

[​IMG]

Wayne

Carcus and BillLin like this.
  19. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne, Thanks! I'm really enjoying it.

From the car's tach I'm showing about 2280 rpm at 60 mph.

xcel likes this.
  20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

This is the decision I'm faced with. The new gas turbos give such great fuel economy on the road that it's hard to argue for a hybrid with the extra complexity, weight, and cost. However, a hybrid own's the gas turbos in town (fuel-economy wise), especially with heavy traffic and/or long waits at stoplights. Also, it's cool not to have to start the ICE to move the car short distances, like from the street to the garage. I still favor a hybrid for my driving, but not by much.

RedylC94, BillLin and xcel like this.