Cross Country trip for the Holidays

Discussion in 'Travel Destinations and Experiences' started by xcel, Dec 3, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Sunday December, 4th

10:00 am - LA City Hall (65 deg/wind calm)

---

280 mi to Yuma, AZ

05:00 pm - Yuma, AZ (60/46 deg/wind N to NE @ 4 mph)

---

240 mi to Tucson, AZ

11:00 pm - Tucson, AZ (60/42 deg/wind ENE to SE @ 7 mph)

Monday December, 5th

280 miles to Las Cruces, NM

06:00 am - Las Crusces, NM

---

600 miles to San Antonio, TX

Tuesday December, 6th

02:00 am - Reach San Antonio, TX (49 deg/wind W @ 6 mph)

---

420 miles to Lafayette, LA

12:00 am - Lafayette, LA -- (70 deg/wind WNW @ 7 mph)

---

260 miles to Mobile, AL stop for the night

08:30 pm - Reach Mobile, AL (60 deg/wind NNW @ 4 mph)

Wednesday December, 7th

08:00 am Leave Mobile, AL (55 deg/wind E @ 7 mph)

---

400 miles to Jacksonville, FL

06:00 pm - Reach Jacksonville, FL (65 deg/wind NNW @ 6 mph)

---

70 miles to Brunswick, GA stop for the night

08:00 pm - Reach Brunswick, GA (60 deg/wind N @ 3 mph)

Thursday December, 8th

08:00 am - Leave Brunswick, GA (45 deg/wind W @ 12 mph)

---

275 miles to Manning, SC

02:00 pm -- Manning, SC (50 deg/wind W @ 6 mph)

---

260 miles to Roanoke Rapids, NC

11:00 pm -- Roanoke Rapids, NC - Stop for the night (40 deg/wind W @ 6 mph)

Friday December, 9th

8:00 am -- Leave Roanoke Rapids, NC (40 deg/wind WNW @ 6 mph). Leave after rain storm clears

---

370 miles to Williamsburg, VA

05:00 pm - Reach Williamsburg, VA - Stop for two days to visit w/ friends.

Sunday December 11th

08:00 am Leave Williamsburg, VA (50/35 deg SSW @ 8 mph)

385 miles to NY City, NY

06:00 pm - Arrive NY City after crossing the George Washington Bridge (40 deg/wind SW @ 8 mph)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

As you approach NY on 12/11, I can offer guidance on routes/traffic/timing if you're going for specific numbers on the trip. Long range weather forecast for that day is clear and temps in high 30s to low 40s, and chance of rain increasing after sundown.

Let me know if you need anything.

BillLin likes this.
  3. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun, but not something that I would do during the holidays. We used to do them all the time, especially from Colorado to Ohio, but as I get older the more I prefer to stay at home during the differing holidays. We tend to go back in the "off season" and now we fly because I find spending time in a car with teenagers way worse than driving with young ones.

Have fun and safe trip Wayne!

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Prozac , I imagine your teenagers aren't that thrilled about being trapped in a car with adults. We used to leave ours at a kennel when we went on vacation. Our animals , I mean.
    Animals , teenagers = pretty much the same thing.

5. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Edwin, exactly. I actually find it easier to travel with the dogs than the kids, lol.

6. xcel

Hi All:

Beginning in LA, Calif. and passing through Las Cruces, NM, LaFayette, LA, Manning, SC, and NY City, NY, these are some of the hundreds of thousands of individuals that visit approximately 14,000 #Shell retail stations across the US on a daily basis.

FB_IMG_1481595591176.jpg
    These patrons and road angels just happened to be the recipient of a free $10 gift card for either being in the right place at the right time or helping us during an epic first of its kind cross country #roadtrip you may hear about shortly.

Shell provided us with the fuel to take on this beast of a challenge in early winter and I am glad it was onboard from start to finish.

Thanks to those within the Shell organization that support us on these iconic challenge drives. And a huge thank you to customers across North America and the world who make Shell their refueling retailer of choice on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.

#Efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

7. xcel

Hi All:

Every person and place has a story...

IMG_20161208_121228.jpg
    This is Diane just behind and to my left and my co-driver Robert Winger directly behind.

I visit over 100 different McDonald's each year on my travels around the country and never before have I seen this level of dedication to pleasing the customer as Diane provided from this #McDonald's in #Bonifay, FL just minutes ago.

You see, she not only delivers your order to your table with a smile and beaming demeanor, she visits with each guest a second and third time to make sure everything is just perfect. Kind of like a very professional waitress or waiter except...

Diane works at this McDonalds not because she has too but because she wants to. Her and her husband recently sold their multi-million dollar farm which means an imminent retirement but also saying goodbye to a job she has not just held but loved for more than three years.

It is not about the $s with Diane. It is about a person that truly wants to make our day better than it was just because she can.

Thank you Diane from two weary travelers pulling off the road for a quick respite and receiving far more than we could have ever imagined.

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  8. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

What's this trip for? Driving something special?

BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. xcel

Hi Mike:

It is. I am under NDA for now but hopefully they will lift it on the 15th of this month so I can post some cool stuff. :)

Wayne

10. xcel

Hi All:

Chicago's Union Station during the Holiday Season.

I am still learning what I can and cannot do with the a6300 so bare with me. I am using my widest angle 19mm Sigma Prime since the station is so massive. I am not sure if a full frame with a 12mm could cover the stations grandeur.

Stunningly beautiful surrounds with Christmas tunes being piped into the massive structure as I type this up while sitting on the historically restored wooden benches.

FB_IMG_1481655215111.jpg
    The Polar Express!

FB_IMG_1481655219132.jpg
    I wish I did not cut off their feet. ;)

FB_IMG_1481655223504.jpg
    A beautifully decorated entryway.

FB_IMG_1481655228625.jpg
    The benefit of train travel. Airports cannot duplicate the style or grace of Chicago's Union Stations 1920s architecture due to today's budgetary constraints.

FB_IMG_1481655232804.jpg
    I believe this "The Untouchables" shootout scene location from the Canal Street entrance.

FB_IMG_1481655236919.jpg

FB_IMG_1481655241029.jpg
    The statuettes of Chicago's Union Station.

FB_IMG_1481655245573.jpg
    I still have not figured out to set an unlimited size upload despite checking the boxes numerous times. In any case, these are down res shots. Pixel peeping on the full image shows these beautiful statues holding ornate birds in their hands.​

Wayne

#Efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  11. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Sounds like a good trip.

xcel likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

With all the times I've been in Union Station , I don't think I ever stopped to smell the roses. Beautiful.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  13. xcel

BillLin and ALS like this.