Strongest Pillar of Shaky US Economy has Cracked

Discussion in 'In the News' started by ALS, Nov 23, 2016.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Al:

Thanks for posting this.

As we have seen from the monthly sales reports, sales flattened out about 3 months ago and only a few OEMs are experiencing sales upticks. Hyundai, Subaru and Audi come to mind. All the while incentives are reaching ridiculous levels.

I think the market is still doing well at near record levels but it may be awhile until we reach last years record setting results.

In the mean time, Marian and I are looking and my mom is looking hard too.

Who else?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. kbergene

kbergene Member

"Who else?"

[Raises hand.] Starting to shop. Predisposed to like Prius Prime with the extra safety technology. BUT expecting prices to compress, both used and new. (Remembering also a lot of nice higher-$ vehicles that are coming off leases soon too.) Expect to also look at new/used Mazda 3/6, and the Ioniq.

Edit: also amazed to see used BMW i3's (2 years, 20000 miles) now offered at around $20-22k. Even if I accord zero weight to the BMW brand, that's getting to be a great bop-around-town price. Simple math.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

When we bought our 2010 Prius, late in the year in 2010, the lot was awash in unsold Prius. I was in the same dealership (getting maintenance supplies) recently and asked a service writer if they were getting the 2016's in. He said they were coming in, in small numbers, all reserved, spoken for. This seems a "sea change" to me, maybe the numbers (so far) are not that different, but the dealership is being much more cautious.

kbergene, BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The news just keeps getting better for buyers as my Acura RSX turns 190kmiles and Hyundai is building my new Ioniq as I write. The only thing that could throw a monkey wrench into my blue sky is heavy import tariffs if Trump gets his way.

xcel likes this.