'58 Volkwagen Beetle Owner's Manual

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by Mendel Leisk, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

My parents got one of these, new. Our first car. I loved the smell, the smell of Volkswagen. We test drove a Jetta, maybe a decade back, and they STILL have that VW smell.

Anyway, a trip down memory lane: the '58 Volkwagen Beetle Owner's Manual. Less than 100 pages, manages to cover pretty much everything. I've made a pdf compilation for convenience, but unfortunately a bit too big to upload, and maybe there's copy write issues. Here's a link, to a page with jpg's of the pages:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/april_58_bug.php

RedylC94 likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I recently found my dad's owner's manual for a 1940 Ford V8 convertible that he bought new that year. Pretty interesting stuff. The oil change interval was 2000 miles. Of course , add oil whenever it gets low.

RedylC94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

You guys just reminded me that I failed to retain the owner's manual from my (formerly my parents', who bought it new) 1954 Chevrolet. It might be worth more now than I got for the whole car in '72. There was a lot of detail about how to grease it. I do still have manuals from a '62 full-sized Chevrolet and a '79 Fiat Strada, as well as my '81 Mazda.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Yeah there's a surprising depth of detail in the posted manual. Valve checks, brake bleeding (on the deluxe model with hydraulics, lol), wheel bearing checks, all the usuals, like oil changes. The good old days.

5. roadrunner

roadrunner Well-Known Member

The 1958 VW beetle was such a simple car. I noticed that it did not have a radio in the photo. Was it an option back then? Also, no fuel gauge. I once owned a 1956 VW beetle, that I did not keep too long. I do wish I now owned one. I owned three beetles and one bus, and one rabbit. Now I own a Prius C.

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.