Have you seen the 2017 Mazda CX-5?

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by Jay, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Pictures of it, I mean. I'm too lazy to post pics, but man that thing is sharp!

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2017-cx-5

I've always liked the way the CX-5 looked but the new styling is even prettier. I'm reading that the 2L four is no longer avail. but the 2.2L Skyactive diesel will finally be offered in the States. Yes. We've heard that rumor many times but Mazda is swearing it's for real this time. Apparently, they've hit on just the right combination of this and that + the DEF tank to make their diesel compliant without spoiling the mazdaness of the thing.

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:

I posted this on SM two days ago but have not completed the full story. You will like it. :)

The hot looking all-new 2017 #Mazda CX-5 was showing off its stunning new look including the new Soul Red Crystal paint at this years 2016 #laautoshow.

FB_IMG_1479490075543.jpg FB_IMG_1479490079297.jpg

The big news is not just the updated exterior, slightly larger interior with more comfortable seat designs both front and rear, and G-vectoring controlled chassis, it is the fact it will arrive with Mazda's well received global #SKYACTIV-D 2.2L I4 by mid 2017.

With the current 16 FWD CX-5 providing owners with a 26/33 mpgUS city/highway rating with the gasoline fueled 2.5L I4, I would suspect a 33/40 mpg city/highway rating with the 2.2L #turbo #diesel.

Personal transportation across the #automotive industry is quickly changing like no other period in history.

Mazda is one of those company's small enough to lead with more efficient drivetrains and large enough to follow through while keeping quality at the forefront.

This all-new CX-5 will be high on my personal must drive list in the summer of 2017.

Good stuff from the Zoom-Zoom manufacturer.

#Efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

BillLin and Jay like this.
  3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Very interested if a diesel manual is available. But probably not enough interest from the general population to build that combo.

xcel likes this.
  4. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

I'd love to have a diesel Mazda! BUT, every single new Mazda seems to have very tough seats. Have they changed at all in the last few years?

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

xcel likes this.
  6. xcel

Hi TheFordFamily:

Given the new seat release, I only pushed into them. They are softer than the previous gens but the bolstering is still about as impinging.

I know that is not much to work with but they are better.

Wayne

7. tribosessive

tribosessive Well-Known Member

This is the news I have been waiting for for a long time, especially following the death of TDI.

It would be interesting to hear informed opinions about the quality and durability of 2.2L SkyActiv D, with its low compression, and yes a 6speed MT would be ideal.

How does this design compare with, say, Chevy 2.8L Duramax, or 1.6L diesel Equinox coming pretty soon ?

BTW Hi everyone !

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I wanted a CX-5 in the worst way in 2012 but the great gas mileage 2L was pretty slow and underpowered and the 2.5L didn't get very good mileage. The 2.2L Skyactive diesel was the most powerful engine and the most economical--and unavailable in the US naturally. The Mazdas247 forum had a lot of Australian members that got the 2.2L engine. They loved the power and those that moved up from the gas engines said they'd never go back. Early versions of the 2.2L diesel had rising oil level problems where diesel was getting into the crankcase. Presumably Mazda has resolved the issue by now but I have not followed the CX-5 in years.

xcel likes this.
  9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Question for Wayne: The current batch of Mazda automatics, are they flat-tow capable? Looking at future family vehicles and pondering the CX-9, which is automatic only.

xcel likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi Andrew:

I do not know but will send in a request for that answer.

Request sent.

Wayne

11. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Looks like it's a no, according to the CX-5 manual pdf I found on google. It says to NOT tow behind an RV with the wheels down, but to use a tow dolly instead.

:( Sad trombone.

xcel likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It's always in the last place you look for it.

13. xcel

Hi Andrew:

Now that the NYIAS is over, I received a note back from the local PR team member regarding my inquiry.
    Wayne