Week of November 14 to November 20 (Nat'l Avg price $2.167)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :)

The national average gas price has dropped nearly a nickel (-4.8¢) to $2.167 - it's only 1¢ cheaper than this time last year.
    Diesel is down 1.7¢ at $2.401 (-0.2¢), 7.4¢ less than this time last year. Diesel is at an increasing 10.8% premium to regular.

No commute for me until Friday - car pooling :cool:

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 38.5 deg F , wind SW5. 34.9 miles , 61.19 MPG. Tank is at 240.6 miles , 62.03 MPG.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Cooler here, 48F.

60.2 mpg / 11.8 mi - to school and work. Need to get my grille block in. It took the whole trip to reach the normal 181F operating temp.

Tank 59.4 mpg / 45 mi. F+

4. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Well, Batman didn't have the collar on Friday and my wife found him in the neighbors yard (catercorner to our house). Then Saturday morning he was out after just 10 minutes in the yard across the street. He came as soon as he was called. Needless to say the collar has been added back and training started right then. He remembered the sound of the beep, so I showed him the flags in the ground and we crossed them and it beeps, so we stepped back and praise was given, but he didn't want any treats. We did that at different places in the yard. Then we tried with level 1 (about a 9V battery on the tongue). He didn't feel it. 2-3 he didn't react either. So, but 4, he felt it when we ventured to the flags, and then we pulled back to the yard. Level 4 is a pretty good little shock, I tried it myself on my hand so I would know what it feels like. It is very unpleasant but not horrible. He now sits mostly in house now. We will work with him to get him out in to the yard more and feel comfortable in the large area that he has access to. Fool me once, Twice or Thrice, the fence is a must. We took the dogs for walks on Saturday and Sunday and both were doing fine. Batman also act normally in the house now, so I think he will be fine.

Friday night:
    56.9 / 13.2 miles (57F N@8) with lights on about after 4 miles.
    FCD = 56.2 (+0.1)

This morning with school drop off and EBH heated to 109F. Allowed for N-ICE off right away.
    54.4 / 13.2 miles (47FS@5)
    FCD = 56.1 (-0.1)

tank:
    7.07 gals converted
    389.2 miles
    F_____|/*****E (about 1 needle width under 1/2 line now)

Gord and TheFordFamily like this.
  5. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Batman has slightly recovered from his incident. I've been shocked by those before. They can be quite painful! Hope that your training goes well.

Also excellent gas mileage!

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 37.5 deg F , wind W4. But no frost on the windshield ! This weekend I will shuffle things around in the garage so I can get my car in there this winter.
    35.2 miles, 60.82 MPG. tank is at 312.4 miles , 62.22 MPG.

7. WoodyWoodchuck

WoodyWoodchuck Sophomore Hypermiler

First day with the 2013 Prius 4. I am going to run a few tanks to get a baseline before I start pressing for mileage. Don’t know if I will need to get the Scangauge 2 setup and dialed in. The Prius seems to have this pretty well covered… Once I learn how to use it that is!

So, going to drive it like a normal vehicle, typical driver using PWR mode for the first two tanks then Eco mode for the next two tanks. Not sure I can do this, drive normal that is. I’m so used to the Yaris and Hypermiling that it may be impossible to go back! I will most likely end up using passive Hypermiling techniques. Anticipate stops, easy acceleration, that kind of thing.

Off to New Jersey to visit National Park. 49 degrees, mostly cloudy, no wind. Rain possible this morning, clearing later.

8. PaleMelanesian

Nice new car! Looking forward to your results, especially coming from a car similar to mine.

51.9 / 5.4 - home
    54.9 / 11.5 - school and work this morning

Tank down to 57.4 / 66.6 mi. :D

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

That's a great car , Woody. I do use the Scangauge in my Prius, mostly for coolant temp , HPR , and RPM. Andrew, that's the right abbreviation for horsepower, right ?

10. Die2self

Thanks TFF. Right now I am just trying to keep it in the 50's as I am having to run the engine more for lights during my trips home and during the morning for some heat to clear off the heave dew. So I'm having to use more steady state driving instead of Pulse and glide with N-ICE off.

The wife stated he (Batman) was running around the patio and out to the tree near by so he is getting used available area.

last night:
    55.8 / 13.0 miles (61F W@3)
    FCD = 56.1 (=)

this morning with school drop off and heavy dew.
    50.5 / 13.1 miles (41F SSW@2)
    FCD = 56.0 (-0.1)

Tank:
    7.57 gals converted
    415.7 miles
    F_____|_****F

11. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Did the oil change but didn't do the tire pressures, I was just too tired. I did notice that something under the car, in the rear is leaking. Not sure what. Cat or exhaust?

Went out and filled up with gas since it was cheap and I needed it.

381.3 miles
    10.101 gallons (Stopped at 10.004)
    39.4 Indicated
    37.75 MPG

Not as good as I expected, but still not too low! Winter gas has been here for a month and a half, haven't noticed much of difference in gas mileage so far.

BillLin likes this.
  12. WoodyWoodchuck

WoodyWoodchuck Sophomore Hypermiler

First day in the Prius! PWR mode, Cruise set to posted speed limit (55 half, 65 half) with a few miles of in-town 30 MPH. Same route, same traffic lights. Difference in distance is due to exit/entrance ramps. Fluids checked, don’t know what oil they used. Tires verified at 32PSI.

24.4 miles going, 51.0 MPG by the FCD.

23.5 Home, 53.6 MPG by the FCD.

I tried my best to just drive when the cruise was off, but it is difficult to not at least Hypermile a little. It has become ingrained as just the way to drive. And coming home… I set the cruise to 60 MPH on the highway. The Prius handled great, but I felt very uncomfortable going that fast knowing what it did to the mileage in the Yaris. Could be the reason I increased the MPG by 2.6 on the return trip. I need to get over it and go with the PSL for the baselines. The terrain is pretty flat here so I do not think that made the difference. I had the heat on this morning and return trip. No lights required.

Decided for the four tanks of gas to set the baselines: First one PWR mode, one ECO mode, one PRW and one ECO. That should cover any driving differences as I get used to it. I must say that I am certainly pleased at getting over 50 MPG for just driving. I had a 150% increase Hypermiling the Yaris so that would mean about 75 MPG in the Prius. It is also a world of difference from the Yaris. I am in the lap of luxury now! Had I known how nice it handled, I might have sprung for a Prius back in 2008 instead of the Yaris. And the power-adjustable heated leather seats… Fuhgeddaboudit.

BillLin likes this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

I will be watching your results with mild jealousy, Woody. Also , I believe Toyota put 0W20 full synthetic in your car. Today , 36.5 deg F , wind NW2. 34.9 miles ,
    60.54 ( corrected) MPG. Tank is at 382.0 miles , 62.31 MPG.
    Ain't it the truth ?!

WoodyWoodchuck and BillLin like this.
  14. PaleMelanesian

Home - 53.8 / 5.4
    school and work - 53.4 / 11.5

Tank is going down. 56.5 / 83 mi.

15. Die2self

Now you will have to employ a different set of tools with the Prius than you had to use the Yaris as the Prius is already doing some of the techniques for you. :0)

last night:
    60.1 / 13.2 miles (63F SW@3) with about 2-3 miles of full on N-ICE off and no lights then CC and stead state or N-ICE on the rest of the way with lights on.
    FCD = 56.1 (+0.1)

this morning with school drop off:
    53.9 / 13.1 miles (45F SE@4) Water temp starting at 109F
    FCD = 56.0 (-0.1)

tank:
    8.03 gals converted
    442.1 miles (so right around 55 MPG off the numbers)
    F_____|__***E

16. EdwinTheMagnificent

One thing I found out pretty quick about my first hybrid car (this 2015 Prius) is that, if you DWL the way you might "normally" do , the engine will shut off very often and at the wrong times , resulting in battery state-of-charge dropping. My normal style in the 5AT 08 Civic was mostly DWL , with a few N-ICE-on glides here and there.
    With the Prius, I look at the road ahead in terms of "where should I start the pulse" or "SHOULD I pulse or DWL for this specific section ? " After 18 months, I certainly haven't mastered it, but I'm getting better.

17. PaleMelanesian

The Grand Tour opens on Friday*! Can't wait to see the three grumpy old men back at their crazy antics! Clarkson, Hammond and May.

*midnight. GMT. Which means 6pm Thursday here in Central Time. With following episodes released weekly on Amazn Prime.

18. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

? That's interesting, because it doesn't seem that way to me. I find the indicated charge rarely drops below 5 or 6 segments, except when congestion forces speeds so slow (including zero) that the engine stays off a lot.

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

For me, if the state of charge drops to 5 bars , it indicates to me that I need to maybe use the brakes once in a while or perhaps glide less. And yes, I have seen it go down to two bars in prolonged traffic jams ( Chicago's Kennedy Expressway). I like to see it at six.

Today , 49.5 deg F , wind SSE10. 34.9 miles , 64.08 MPG. Tank is at 451.9 miles , 62.68 MPG.

20. PaleMelanesian

60.8 / 5.8 - home last night. Nice run.
    55.1 / 2 - out to youth group
    50.0 / 2 - back home
    56.2 / 11.5 - school and work this morning

Tank is steady at 56.5 / 105 mi, still on F.