Hyundai Ioniq Sets New Hybrid Land Speed Record

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 2, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] "We should raise our sights even higher and the Ioniq land speed record effort was born."

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Nov. 2, 2016

Bonneville was the place, Ioniq Hybrid was the car.

The release… A race-prepared Hyundai Ioniq hybrid prototype, developed by Hyundai Motor America’s Engineering and Quality team, set an FIA-approved production-based hybrid vehicle land speed record of 157.825 mph, with a peak exit speed of 160.7 mph at Utah’s Bonneville Salt Flats. The Ioniq is Hyundai’s newest hybrid model, with hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric powertrains to be available. Ioniq hybrid and electric models go on sale in the U.S. in late 2016.

Hyundai’s engineering and quality group led the concept development for this grassroots motorsports effort.

Mircea Gradu, director, Engineering and Quality, Hyundai Motor America:
    To run the Bonneville Salt Flats, special modifications have to be performed not only to set a record but to set it safely.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Bonneville Salt Flats Car

[​IMG]

The Salt Flats 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid prototype modifications included the following:

Drivetrain
    • Low-restriction intake and exhaust
    • Engine, transmission, and hybrid ECU recalibrated and governors removed
    • A/C and ancillaries removed
    • Nitrous Express single-stage direct-port nitrous injection with stand-alone fuel system, cockpit-controlled
    Exterior
    • Aerodynamics/Lightweighting
    • Ioniq Electric model front grille and valance
    • Underbody and air dam aero modifications
    Interior
    • Interior components removed or lightened
    Chassis

Progress Competition coil-over suspension with stiffer springs, heavier damping and sway bar. The ride height was lowered by almost 4”. Lightweight aero wheels and wheel covers with Goodyear Eagle tires

[​IMG]

Safety

Fully-integrated high-strength safety cage structure, Sparco 6-point safety harness system, racing seat, and driver safety gear, on-board fire-suppression system, battery disconnects and parachute.

[​IMG]

JonNC, BillLin and Jay like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

AmazebALLS! I want that exact Ioniq except without the parachute. Don't want to waste the momentum when I get up to 160mph and need to recharge the battery.

If Hyundai could get Ioniqs into US showrooms as quickly as they can hustle them down the Bonneville Salt Flats, I would truly be impressed.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

I don't get the point when they throw in nitrous injection. Do all the aero/gearing/safety changes but leave the rest alone. IMO of course. :) otherwise, why not use rocket boosters or other non-production car items?

Edit: or is Hyundai looking at after-market sales of these modifications?

xcel and NeilBlanchard like this.
  4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Bill - that was exactly the point I was going to make. Nitrous oxide is spiking this record, in my opinion.

Oh, they deleted the side mirrors, and blocked (part of) the grill, too.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. BillLin

Here's an old story that's in more or less the same boat to me. A 2013 Jetta Hybrid on the salt flats does over 185 mph in 2012. Different sanctioning body. SCTA which is more the norm for Salt Flats records. Undisclosed mods so not as good a story as the Hyundai.

Edit: removed link - see Wayne's reply.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    xcel likes this.
  6. xcel

Hi Bill:

We covered that one and I saw the actual car at the Jetta Hybrid short lead a few weeks after the record too.

World’s Fastest Hybrid Is A 2013 VW Jetta TSI

2016 VW Jetta Hybrid - Bonneville Salt Flats World Record

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. BillLin

Sorry about that, Wayne. I just did a quick non-site-specific search and used the first link. :(

xcel likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi Bill:

No problem. Brought back some good memories as I loved the VW Jetta Hybrid short lead. I wanted to drive that specific car but they said no can do. :(

Wayne.

BillLin likes this.
  9. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Uhh, it is late 2016. So does that mean it's on sale?

xcel likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Yes , it's on sale. So is the Bolt and the Elio. And the Cubs won the World Series. Ha !

xcel likes this.
  11. Sulfuric

Sulfuric Well-Known Member

What hub caps are those? They look similar to the classic moon discs, but idk which brand they are.

xcel likes this.
  12. xcel

Hi Sulfuric:

Std. moon caps but not sure what brand.

Wayne

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

So this is how Hyundai spends their promotional budget. Tsk , tsk. What gearhead is going to be impressed by this ? And what greenie is going to be excited about 157 MPH ? Nice car , bad promotion.

Mendel Leisk, xcel and BillLin like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

^ Was going to say something along these lines, but don't have to: what he said.

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.