PHEV to replace CRV?

Discussion in 'General' started by CRT1, Oct 14, 2016.

1. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Folks,

My wife's CRV is on its last legs and we will need to replace it soon, ideally in the next few months but we could limp it along for another year.

We need something of similar size and AWD for ski trips.

Are there any PHEV options on the market or nearly so?

I've heard about the Outlander PHEV but it seems that keeps on getting delayed and I'm no Mistu fan anyway. Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

xcel likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi CRT1:

The upcoming 50 mpg Niro CUV but it is not going to arrive with AWD at launch. Probably 2020 refresh and it will receive that option.

Not much help here and the luxury PHEV CUV/SUVs are pretty outlandish cost wise.

Wayne

3. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Wayne, thanks for the input. A PHEV CUV seems like the killer app to me. Not sure why they aren't pumping these things out yet.

Should we consider the Rav4 Hybrid? EPA rating doesn't wow. If not, probably leaning toward a slightly used CRV or maybe a Mazda CX5. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Chris

xcel likes this.
  4. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Got a good deal on a 2016 Rav4 Hybrid. The wife loves it and I'm impressed so far. Its darn easy to get 50+ mpg around town, but not for long as the cold weather is setting in. Taking it on its first road trip in a couple of weeks and interested to see how it does on the highway.

xcel likes this.
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi CRT1:

The 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is certainly a fuel saver given what is being offered in the segment right now. Good choice and good for you.

Here is a near future HEV/PHEV/EV U.S. market release time table courtesy of the Ioniq Powertain presentation in Michigan the other day for others sitting on the fence. The Niro PHEV release in Q3 of 2017 looks awfully enticing. ;)

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.