Is there an EV in my immediate future?

Discussion in 'General' started by Blackbelt, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

I sold my 2013 Fiat 500 sport last month to a young lady who really needed a late model reliable car cheap. She was a friend of my sons and i had no problem helping her out. I have been using my PT convertible and my Compass for commuter duties since, neither one is great when it comes to economy, although the PT is huge grins on nice sunny days with the top down., Plus the turbo rush is a little addicting..LOL.
    Anyway, i have been checking the used EV market. There are some smoking deals, and i almost bought a 2013 Leaf. However, i am currently trying to do something different. Based on info form the smart forums, there are a number of new unsold 2014 smart EV's out there that the dealers are offering some smoking deals on. I mean selling prices in the 15.5-17K range. Subtract the $7500 tax credit and you end up with an under $10K new car with a 4/50 warranty. Here n PA there is another $2K available. I am currently talking to 2 dealers, i will report back with any info if i am able to make a deal with either one. There was a dealer that 2 member of the forum made deals, one paid $15K so ended up spending $7500 for a brand new car. Nice!

xcel likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Blackbelt:

Just make sure...

Your emissions will be worse than most gasoline fueled cars given the PA grid. Your cost/mi for fuel may or may not be higher than a gasoline car. And the 17 Elantra SE is going for < $15k brand new right now.

Great BEV prices in the used market right now however.

Wayne

3. Blackbelt

Hi Wayne,
    Yes i have been watching the used BEV market for the last few months. Some really great deals there, especially for the Leaf. However, the Leaf seems to have more issues with battery capacity degradation than most. O almost bought a 2013 Leaf S with 26K miles on it for $8K. I changed my mind at the last minute and am still looking. RIght now i have an offer on the table to buy a 2014 smart ED cabriolet for $17.1K. I can get another $500 smart loyalty off of that, so i will be at $16.6K, That price includes shipping to my home. After deductinf the $7500 tax credit and the $2000 PA EV rebate, i will own the car for around $8100 (including sales tax), and it will have a 4/50 warranty. Not a bad deal overall. Plus, since it's a cabrio, i could sell my PT convertible.
    I am going to try to work all the details out tomorrow.
    As to my electricity source, here in PA we have the option to choose our supplier. I made my choice several years ago and chose a "green" supplier who was totally wind and solar supplied. It costs me a little more per KwH, but i sleep better.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  4. xcel

Hi Blackbelt:

Sounds great and thanks for considering a BEV for your daily driver!

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. Blackbelt

Thanks Wayne. I am really hoping i can make the deal and get this. My wife and I could take turns using it for our commutes. One of us uses the electric, the other uses our 2013 smart ICE, which easily gets 50MPG. Then i have the Jeep for really crappy snowy days. At 25-36 MPG, it's a comparative gas hog..LOL

xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. Blackbelt

Well i have made a decision. I found a 2015 Leaf "S" with 20K miles for sale at Carvana for $10K. Still has about 9 months of factory warranty left. Full 12 bars of capacity for the battery. The price includes delivery to my home. I pulled the trigger today and will get it in 2 weeks.My wife and i will share this as a DD. During the colder months, she will use it since her commute is 20 miles shorter than mine. During warmer times, i will use it for my 62 miles RT commute. The idea is to try to use it every day(except snow days)to maximize the benefits of an EV. I am really excited and am looking forward to getting it. I paid $10K for it, which i thought was an OK price.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I just heard on the radio this morning a used car dealer up by Blawnox, Tower Auto off RT 28 has two 2013 Leafs on the lot with 24k and 17K on the clock for $11.5K and $11.9K. Just in case anyone else is interested. I thought that was a pretty good deal considering what they were going for new.

xcel likes this.
  8. Blackbelt

ALS i am familiar with Tower auto. I was considering a used 2013 Leaf that a private owner in Pittsburgh was selling last month. He had bought it at Tower 8 months ago. It was a 2013 With 26K that i could have bought for $8K. Considering that, The prices on Carvana are better, plus they give a warranty and will deliver the car to you.
    They have a 2014 with 24K on it for $9000, a 2015 with 11K on it for $10,750, and a 2015 with 24K on it for $10K. They have 10 Leafs that show "sale pending" (mine being one of them).
    Another great source for used Leafs is
    http://www.offleaseonly.com/
    They have a bunch of them at great prices.

xcel likes this.
  9. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

OMG did you see the Prices on a used Prius II. :)

2013 with 32K for $11,999, 2014 with 27K only $12,999, 2015 with 27.5K $13,999

xcel likes this.
  10. Blackbelt

Some great deals out there for Vehicles that make sense. Everyone is sucking up monster gas pig SUV's and trucks.

xcel likes this.
  11. xcel

Hi Al:

1/2 off!!! Those are great prices for almost new Gen 3 Prius'!

Wayne

ALS likes this.
  12. Blackbelt

So i think i am going to change my mind. I have put the Leaf purchase on hold, and am looking into an alternative.
    Stay tuned.......

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It's a good time to hold onto my Gen 3. By the time it's used up (2023) I will most likely be driving a car with a Mr. Fusion power plant that runs on household food scraps.

14. Blackbelt

Well, it appears there is a hybrid in my future now.
    I have a 2014 Prius C coming to me next weekend. My wife has always hated the styling of the Prius, but she informed me she really likes the "C". Although i think i could have made the Leaf work for us, the Prius IS more workable. It is $3K more than the Leaf, which stings a bit, but i know the resale will be there. It is a 2014 Prius C Two with 22K miles and a year left on its factory 3/36 warranty. Its yellow, which is not really common. I have been shopping them and the $13K price seems to be very good for a 1 owner no accident car. Given the reliability of the toyota hybrids, can i keep this one up until i retire, 5 years down the road? The thought of being able to get 50+ MPG on my 70 mile a day commute makes me smile....
    Oh, on a side note, it warmed my heart yesterday when my wife proudly told me of her most recent MPG tank in the smart. 46! She proclaimed that she is using some "hypermiling" techniques, which made me smile. Mostly it's FAS, which is great. Also, she has taken to coasting in neutral on some of the longer downhill stretches here in W PA. . I didn't have the heart to try to explain about DFCO, so i just smiled and congratulated her on her progress.Baby steps.....
    I count myself as fortunate that my 58 YO wife thinks any SUV larger than a Renegade is stupid, useless, and dangerous to drive. She wants to keep her smart forever, and i am not going to argue. Transportation doesn't come much cheaper than a fortwo(especially used ones right now), and she loves driving her smart.

all_about_the_glide likes this.
  15. Blackbelt

Well, it is home in my garage. Carvana delivered it yesterday to my home on their flatbed. It is extremely clean and boy is it YELLOW!!! LOL. I really like it so far. I have a lot of reading to do so i can get up to speed with this car. IMG_2309.JPG sparky.jpg

BillLin likes this.