2016 Lexus ES 300h Review

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by xcel, Oct 2, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

This week's ride is courtesy of Lexus in the form of the 40/39 mpg city/highway rated ES 300h. It is possibly the most efficient luxury sedan available today due in part to its aging but still potent 200 hp combined output - atkinsonized 2.5L I4 and two motor hybrid system - drivetrain.

It arrived with the unique autumn shimmer exterior color - purplish brown in laymans terms - with a brown leather interior.

FB_IMG_1475364755255.jpg

When this car was first released back in 2011 IIRC, it was by far my number one luxury buy due to the strength of its drivetrain, luxury appointments, and very confortable rear seat room. It is after all a stretched Camry but with all the Lexus interior appointments and comfortably soft touchpoints.

What is unusual about this ES 300h Press car is it comes with no extra packages. The base MSRP is $40,920 and includes the aforementioned highly regarded hybrid drivetrain, independent suspension tuned for a very comfortable ride vs a canyon corner carver - it can do that too but I love the softer and quiet ride ;), LED low beams and Nike swoop like DRLs, heated side mirrors with integrated signals, rear spoiler, and 17" alloys outside.

For the 2016 MY, it received a refresh with the bolder large Lexus chrome-trimmed spindle grille and a new rear fascia.

Moving inside, soft leather all-around, 10-way power driver and front passenger seats, auto dim rear view, power moonroof, auto up/down windows at all 4-corners, and dual zone auto climate. 10 airbags are also a highlight as few OEMs offer the full rear seat protection oiutside of GM and Toyota/Lexus on some models.

The Remote Touch Interface controller has been reworked numerous times since our first experience with it back in 2010. While still not perfect, it keeps getting better with each iteration.

So where is the Navi, high end audio, and advanced safety systems? They are all available in optional packages.

D&H adds $940 for an MSRP of $41,860.

I have been driving this car around Chicago and Northern Illinois in almost continuous rain with a 42.3 mpg display after 230 miles. Tires at 31 psi are not helping so we will call its efficiency good but not great given other mid-size sedans - non-luxury mind you - that offer more efficiency and even more modern safety and infotainment add-ons are even more prolific at skipping the pump. That will change for the 2017 or 2018 MY when the new hyper efficient Toyota mid-size drivetrains arrive.

FB_IMG_1475364750978.jpg

Pluses include its over the top driver and passenger comfort. Meaning soft leather seats and quiet at speed interior. Puddle lamps upon reaching for the door handles, proxiity handles vs. a button on many other OEMs proximity key systems, and touch LED interior lighting vs. push to turn on and turn off again. I really like this interior LED on/off action as it is a luxurious touch I rarely see from anybody else.

Minuses include a rather steep price given today's non-luxury competitors offer more for less and no sunglass holders. Lexus, please install a damped sunglass holder in your next all-new model please...

The hybrid drivetrain is still a class leader in the luxury segment but there has been a lot of movement to higher efficiencies in the std. midsizes so it is no longer an absolute must buy today. Another year or two when the next gen is released and we will have another look. Probably the segment leader once again.

PS: Marian loves it other than the interior color. ;)

#Efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

BillLin and kbergene like this.