So far, no new vehicles can match my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid (seriously)

Discussion in 'General' started by harrynew, Sep 19, 2016.

1. harrynew

harrynew Member

My bought-new Escape Hybrid now has 140,000 miles, and I have been looking at newer, sleeker, more technologically advanced vehicles. BUT, I have three criteria which no new vehicle can match...as far as I know. If somebody can point out a new vehicle that can, then I will check it out ASAP. My criteria are:

1. It must be factory-certified to tow my jet ski, which weighs almost 1,000 pounds.

2. It must have a fairly level roof rack, as I occasionally need to carry fence posts or 4X8 sheetrock.

3. It must have a combined EPA mileage of 31, which is both my advertised and actual mileage.

I am rather adamant that all three criteria must be met. Close is not acceptable. If this sounds unreasonable, consider that my Escape was introduced in 2005. Surely, I should not have to accept less capable replacements.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

p.s. I'm not a new member, just haven't posted in a couple of years.

BillLin likes this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

RAV4 Hybrid.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Sure , but that's not a FORD. :)

4. harrynew

harrynew Member

Thanks, Carcus,

I did consider the RAV4 Hybrid, but it fails criterion #1. Toyota specifies no towing with the the hybrid model.

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Are you sure, cause I see this on the internet:
    upload_2016-9-19_9-23-43.png

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Subaru Outback?

7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

If you google --
    2016 RAV4 Hybrid Product Information
    -- you should find a pdf document (from Toyota) with all the specs listed,... towing capacity is 1,750 lbs.

8. harrynew

harrynew Member

ksstathead,

Thanks, I have just been Googling various RAV4 Hybrid links, and they are sure not consistent. Some, in the exact format you pasted, say "not applicable" for towing. But, many of them do state that the 2017 Hybrid LE+ model has the 1750 lb. towing capacity. And, it's EPA figures match my Escape's. That would meet all my criteria.

So, I will re-visit the RAV4 possibilities.

9. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I can't vouch for accuracy, and I didn't look at this article's conclusions, but there is a handy table of small SUVs and respective overall MPG ratings and cargo volumes. The RAV4 is at the top with the highest average MPG, though far from the largest capacity. The old Escape's cargo volume is nice and squared off so very usable.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/best-in-cargo-capacity-and-fuel-economy/index.htm

Note that the chart mentions the RAV4 hybrid, so the article must have been updated since the original posting.