Whooa, the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Range = 238 Miles!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Sep 13, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] GMs game changer has indeed changed the game.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Sept. 13, 2016

2017 Chevrolet Bolt – An estimated $35k to start not including all the tax and tax credit deals is small on the outside, big on the inside, technology ladened and will offer owners an EPA estimated 238 miles of all-electric range (AER).

That’s Huge!!!

From the release, Chevrolet promised to offer the first affordable electric vehicle with 200 miles or more of range and with this detail, they have easily succeeded. Or at least set the new high bar for everyone else to match. Meaning under 100-mile range BEVs just became NEVs.

The 2017 Bolt EV goes on sale later this year with an EPA-estimated range of 238 miles and I would not doubt 400 miles is well within its roundhouse.

[​IMG]

With an expected MSRP below $37,500 – I sure hope that means $35k and not $37,499 – before available federal tax credit of up to $7,500 and state tax credits ranging from 0 to over $4,000 USD. Range to spare, internal utility, advanced infotainment and safety make the Bolt EV a great daily/weekly commuter.

[​IMG]

When the Bolt EV arrives at select Chevrolet dealerships later this year, the brand will also offer the Volt PHEV-53 and 47/46 mpg city/highway rated Malibu Hybrid.

[​IMG]

Life just got a lot more interesting from behind the wheel of a Chevrolet. ;)

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

238 ! Suddenly , everyone else's ( affordable) BEV became obsolete.

xcel likes this.
  3. Ed Imbier

Ed Imbier New Member

Could not find a review of the Chevy Volt 2017. I watched your Prius plugin review, which allowed me to see the car thru your eyes. One thing missing is the display which gives driver feedback of the realtime MPG. That is so helpful in knowing the current driving efficiency, and makes the driver better. Please include that in future videos, when it is available. Thanks for the fine videos.

4. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will have a fast charge system for those extended trips. The Bolt a game changer to say the least. Seems almost to good to be true!!!

5. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Roadshow already did a range "test": he got 257 miles range. Pretty impressive (caveat is that it's not really fast highway speeds). I'd like to see this system in a midsize car as well...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the range test at 65 and 70 mph with some A/C or heat on (and not just on for 10 minutes so you can say you used it). That won't be anything close to 257 miles.

Not saying this won't be a good city car, ... it will be. But ACTUAL real world highway range at speeds people normally travel and the ability to only quick charge at 45 kw .....eh. If you're really thinking about using a BEV for road trips there is only one manufacturer that fills the bill and that company is Tesla. {and even WITH Tesla and their superchargers, there will be some sacrifice some in terms of range,"refueling time", and trip planning vs ICE}

/GM options lane keep assist but no ACC? Why?? Adaptive cruise control is rapidly becoming a must have item in today's cars. I would think no adaptive cruise control in a $35,000 car would be a show-stopper for many.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

EPA is lower at 238 so sure range will be lower at highway speeds for most people. I wouldn't say Tesla has that much more range at highway speeds. The EPA rating is 210/234/249 mile range for 60/70/75 kwH. The Model 3 would have less range. Most long road trips still require EV charging stations and therefore some planning you might have to do.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

I believe EPA EV ranges are based upon the combined MPGe ratings.

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

I don't need "adaptive" or ANY kind of cruise control.

xcel likes this.
  10. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Well, finally, I think this is the 'Moon Shot' that the bow tie was using to describe the Volt a few years back. Impressive. I wonder how this compares to the Tesla 3?

xcel likes this.
  11. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

10 years since the Volt concept, over 20 years since the EV1, and nearly 30 years since the GM impact. For GM, I don't think this "moonshot" can happen slow enough.

/Good thing this isn't 1941,... the war would be over before "new GM" could even get a plan together.

xcel likes this.
  12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

The big difference I see between this and the Tesla Model 3, is hatchback. This is one I would possibly buy, while the sedan format of the 3 makes it a hard no-go.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  13. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I like cruise control occasionally, but only for level or slight downhill driving. For uphill, I have not found a good enough (in fuel efficiency terms) cruise control yet. The C-MAX cruise control is better than average in that it does not aggressively surge on uphills, but I still prefer my own foot control. Adaptive cruise control in the Crosstrek is pretty nice on some highway trips, but it does drive as erratically as vehicles ahead of you, so again, I tend to prefer my own control. Thank goodness I don't have Wayne's drive-and-crawl traffic. I would just stay home.

14. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

"... but it does drive as erratically as vehicles ahead of you, so again, I tend to prefer my own control."

That's an interesting observation, .. and not what I would expect to be an ACC deal killer. I haven't yet driven ACC so maybe I am expecting too much.

/in the meantime, I have lately been trying to "think outside of the box"/experiment with my cruise control techniques. If it develops into something useful I will share.

15. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

More on the Crosstrek cruise control... There's a bit of rubber band effect. It's fine when the person ahead of you is driving with full awareness, but if they are distracted and speed up/slow down for no reason, you are somewhat trapped into doing the same thing with ACC. As extra info, the Crosstrek ACC allows setting near/medium/far trailing distances. Medium and far are the only useful ones for me. I imagine the near setting is good for stop-and-go crawling. I don't know if this ACC works with the minimum speed of zero for full-stop since I don't do gridlock driving. Along with the trailing distance setting, you set the maximum CC speed and it'll follow below that speed or fall behind at the top speed if the lead vehicle goes faster than your max setting. Tapping up or down on the CC control will increase/decrease the max speed setting to the nearest multiple of 5 mph. I don't know if it will do the more-useful-to-me +/- 1 mph accel/decel in other cruise controls.

16. alster

alster Well-Known Member

If GM can get 60 KWH of usable capacity from a 950 lb battery that means GM should be able to get 30 KWH of usable capacity
    from a similar battery weighing 475 lbs and half the size. I can see the next generation Volt having this type of battery in probably 2-4 years out.

Just think a Volt or Malibu with 120 miles of range just on electricity and then a next generation gasoline engine obtaining 50-60 mpg just on gasoline when the
    battery is discharged. Or how about a GM SUV plug in with 50 miles of electric range and 30-40 mpg just on gas.

Keep up the good work GM!!

17. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

This is awesome - my family will be looking closely at the Chevy Bolt EV.

The first drive review by John Voelcker at GRC says his 240 miles was the worst of the 4 drivers that went on the same trip:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...t-ev-first-drive-240-miles-in-an-electric-car

The best range was 32 miles left - so ~272 miles total. John says he drove in L, which has lots of regen ... hmmm. I wonder what a practiced ecodriver / hypermiler could do?

I also still don't know if the L mode has a "detent" that allows you to coast, like the BMW i3 does? It has the regen paddle switches on the left side back of the steering wheel. I also do not know if there is regen integrated on the brake pedal - where it should be?

18. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Heard one pedal driving is possible with the Bolt.

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

One pedal driving is not the best bet for efficiency. It's for lazy gearheads.

Neil , I'm going to guess that regen works with the brake pedal - where it should be.

I do like the idea of having a lot of control over regen.

xcel likes this.
  20. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I am told that you can put a Bolt EV into neutral. So, at the very least, one can coast that way. This is how I drive my Leaf - you just have to remember to put it in D in order to get regen on the brake pedal OR to drive. Our e-Golf has this perfectly designed - coast when you lift your right foot, and regen on the brake pedal AND 4 levels of regen on the accelerator when you want it.