2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid Revealed

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by xcel, Sep 10, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] It’s here and we cannot wait. :)

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Sept. 9, 2016

2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid - Pricing TBA while offering owners a very attractive estimated 33/35 mpg city/highway rating. At least that is what Nissan reported.

Miami, Florida -- We have been waiting for this one since I saw its EPA ratings released in the data files. Well tonight at the Miami Auto Show, Nissan revealed more details.

The 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid now provides a second powertrain choice for the brands compact CUV. Unlike the much anticipated FWD Kia Niro Hybrid and currently available AWD RAV4 Hybrid, the Rogue Hybrid will be available in both a FWD and AWD platform. The 2017 Rogue Hybrid includes the 2017 Rogue's mid-model year exterior and interior refresh , additional safety, security and driving aid technology to go along with its feature packed utility.

Optional on the 2017 Rogue and Rogue Hybrid is NissanConnect with Navigation, Mobile Apps, and Services, with a 7.0" touch-screen display, Nissan Voice Recognition for NAVI and audio, SiriusXM Travel Link and SiriusXM Traffic (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately), Around View Monitor with Moving Object Detection (MOD), radar-based Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and the new-for-2017 Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), and Forward Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection.

Like all hybrids, the all-new new compact hybrid powertrain takes advantage of an electric motor's instant torque from 0 RPM in combination with a powerful 2.0L ICE mated to a wide ratio Xtronic CVT.

[​IMG]

The 2017 Rogue Hybrid fuel economy is expected to be 33/35/34 mpg city/highway/combined for the FWD model and 31/34/33 mpg city/highway/combined for the AWD variant. Given the compact packaging and combined drivetrain performance, the Rogue hybrid should feels and perform just like the highly regarded non-hybrid model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hybrid system combines an advanced 2.0L 16-valve DOHC aluminum-alloy I4 and a compact Li-Ion battery with a single motor, two-clutch control system. The gasoline engine is rated at 141 hp and 144 lb-ft of torque, while the electric motor is rated at 40 hp and 118 lb-ft of torque. The hybrid system net power is 176 hp.

[​IMG]

At the core of the Rogue Hybrid gasoline-electric hybrid system is Nissan's Intelligent Dual Clutch Control system. The first of the two clutches is a dry clutch installed between the engine and the electric motor, where the torque converter would normally be, and the second is between the motor and Xtronic CVT.

The high-output Li-Ion battery and clutch control enable smooth launches. An Intelligent Regenerative Braking system partially recharges the battery during vehicle braking and additional fuel economy is provided by an Idle Start/Stop system.

The compact Li-Ion battery is located under the rear cargo area maintaining the standard Rogue's flat rear floor for easy passenger access to the rear seat and very little loss of of cargo volume.

[​IMG]

The new Rogue Hybrid, the first-ever hybrid powertrain for Rogue, will join the Nissan lineup before the end of 2016.

2017 Rogue Hybrid and Rogue Base Spec Comparison

[​IMG]

#SoMiami #MiamiAutoShow #NissanYearofTheTruck #2017Rogue #Rogue

#Efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

2. harrynew

harrynew Member

Great, but does it have a factory stated towing capacity? I only need 1,000 lbs., but that is make-or-break for me.

TheFordFamily and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

Hi Harrynew:

I did not see a towing spec for the Rogue Hybrid. :(

Wayne

4. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Looks good and I like the MPGs it's similar to the Rav4 Hybrid. But I just can't see myself in a Nissan.

5. xcel

Hi TheFordFamily:

Just wait for the 2017 Kia Niro... ;)

Wayne

6. NaturalNaturer

NaturalNaturer Active Member

Well, this new Rogue Hybrid is indeed stunning in appearance although , my family has not tried any Nissan model yet. Maybe, Its time to consider this for our next vehicle.

xcel likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi NaturalNaturer:

It should be a good one. The only hit for Nissan is their infotainment is a generation behind most of their competitors. AroundView monitor is ahead however.

Wayne

8. xcel

Hi All:

On the eve of Star Wars “Rogue One” feture, I picked up a 2017 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Hybrid.

2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

[​IMG]

The following afternoon and evening, I spent some more time behind the wheel to see Star Wars "Rogue One" thanks to Nissan PR's Wendy M. Orthman and Tim Gallagher. I could not have had a better time. Finally a well written and exciting Star Wars film worth seeing since imho, Return of the Jedi. Driving Nissan's most advanced Rogue made it even better. :)

[​IMG]

About the Rogue Hybrid.

My favorite part is the atkinsonized 141 hp and 144 lb-ft of torque 2.0L connected to a 40 hp electric motor - powered by a small Li-Ion - and the brand's fuel saving wide ratio Xtronic CVT via dual clutch. Net system output is equivalent to 176 hp which is definitely responsive and efficient with a 31/34 mpg city/highway rating in AWD trim as driven.

[​IMG]

The new for 2017 Rogue Hybrid received the 17 Rogue's refreshed exterior including new front and rear fascias, V-Motion grille, LED DRLs, and Boomerang rear taillamps. The unique 18" alloys, full chrome daylight opening (DLO), and chrome handles make it a looker from all angles. All the cool design elements from the highly regarded Murano in fact.

[​IMG]

Inside, my wife's favorite feature(s) include the panoramic power roof, heavily padded door and center console arm rests, and it's quieter. I like the very softly padded Zero Gravity seats, dual white stitching on the same, shifter console surround, arm rest and center console, and especially the passenger side leather upper dash insert. The Rogue feels upscale without a luxury price tag. The std. 17 Rogue that is since we do not know the Rogue Hybrid price tag just yet.

[​IMG]

All told, Nissan's most popular vehicle to see this year's most popular film was pretty slick. You cannot do much better than that!

More to come…

Wayne

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

And a little more detail…

Our week with the 2017 #Nissan #Rogue #Hybrid has come and gone.

2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

[​IMG]

I am enthralled as is my wife, son, and son's GF with the soft foam beneath the leather seating material. Possibly the best I have ever sat in under $40k.

The soft yet totally progressive nature of the brakes through regen and into the mechanicals is also the best of the best when it comes to hybrid action. I really cannot tell if I am slowing under regen or under the mechanicals. So seamless I suspect the mechanicals are engaging with regen to remove the transition altogether.

A quieter interior and a better ride and handling quotient over past Rogues I have driven as well. How can an affordable every day CUV corner so flat? F&R stabilizer bars, low friction suspension components, and good EPS tuning maybe?

Safety? Just over two weeks ago it earned the coveted "Top Safety Pick Plus" (TSP+) crash test rating from the IIHS, the organizations highest designation.

2017 Nissan Rogue – IIHS Top Safety Pick+ Crash Test Rating

[​IMG]

2017 Nissan Rogue/Rogue Hybrid – NHTSA Crash Test Rating(s)

[​IMG]

The Nissan AroundView Monitor (AVM) with Moving Object Detection (MOD) is the best in the business and I wish everyone had their system installed. Many are adding it but they are years late.

[​IMG]

The Auto High Beams (AHB) work excellent. They light approximately 25 degree off each front corner and a sharp cutoff when on the dims keep people from flashing back. They recognize the front and rear of cars and trucks ahead with maybe a 15 to 20 degree offset and never missed. Really good stuff here.

The 106.8 cu.ft. of passenger volume and 27.3 cu.ft. of cargo volume behind the rear seats is darn competitive with the midsize CUV segment. Rear seat leg and knee room will fall short with a 6+ ft. driver up front however.

[​IMG]
    Rear seat leg/knee room comes at a premium. <-- How did he do that? ;)

[​IMG]
    $250+ worth of Costco groceries fit easily behind the second row seats.​

While the rear cargo may be short of the std. Rogue, there are still some hidden compartments ahead of the Li-Ion pack providing a little more.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And the looks? Damn sharp looking exterior with the full V-Motion grille treatment, deep feature lines in the hood, the full chrome surround DLO, and muscular lower black cladding protecting the entire bottom edge of the vehicle from just about anything.

2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid and Rogue

[​IMG]
    You may never see these two in the same trim and color next to each other ever again. :)

While we are still waiting for pricing, it still has a few shortfalls. It needs Android Auto and Apple CarPlay badly as the OEM embedded NAVI is more than a generation behind the industry standard. A Garmin GUI would do wonders for this system, Traffic feature only hits all the notes about 70 percent of the time whereas Google's Android Auto is dead on every time. When you have service that is.

Front seat lower cushions need another inch or the entire seat frame needs tilt with the rear dropping down and the front up vs. the Rogue's tilt forward setup as it is currently designed.

And then the drivetrain. The all-new 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid in AWD trim as driven is possibly rated at 31/34 mpgUS city/highway rating thanks to a downsized and atkinsonized 2.0L I4, small Li-Ion powering a smallish single motor through a dual clutch setup all mated to the brands fuel efficient wide ratio CVT. The systems net power is a healthy 176 hp.

2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

[​IMG]
    First drive at 48.4 mpg. We have experienced higher from the std. non-hybrid FWD Rogue.​

Where it will help. For the driver with a light foot, it will best every non-hybrid CUV out there including some of the much more expensive European TDs. If said driver is running the Interstate for 70 percent of his or her drive, I would stick with the possibly lower cost std. 2017 Rogue. I have achieved significantly higher efficiency in the non-hybrid FWD Rogue than the AWD Hybrid - a little apples to oranges comparison here - and imho, 70 percent highway is where you may want to stick with the std. Rogue. The Hybrid drivetrain adds nothing at speeds above 62 mph. At low speeds, it is stronger than that placed in the previous and now defunct Pathfinder Hybrid but it is not strong enough for a lengthy around town EV experience. Where a hybrid can really make the difference. The hardware is there but the sizing and programming are leaving over 10 mpgs on the table. See the latest Hyundai/Kia Hybrid offerings as to the reasons for this statement. If I had just a few weeks with the drivetrain team in Japan...

All in, this is a great new CUV with segment leading looks both inside and out. Since this is a prototype, maybe, just maybe the engineering folks in Japan were given the green light to optimize what they have and make this thing sing in order to skip the pump and lower its emissions further below that of the std. Rogue.

[​IMG]

The 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid in front of our 2013 Toyota Prius PHEV. The former is far more comfortable and fun to drive. ;)

Wayne

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  10. xcel

Hi All:

The LA Auto Show Nissan Rogue One presentation including smoke, fire and virtual reality intro. Best presentation I have ever seen at a Press Days Auto Show. Ever!

Wayne

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Does it have a spare?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  12. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Apparently so per Motor Trend review.

Mendel Leisk and xcel like this.
  13. xcel

Hi Mendel:

I did not look but the specs state it has a temporary T155/90D17 mini-spare under the cargo floor.

Wayne

Mendel Leisk and BillLin like this.
  14. xcel

Hi All:

This morning Nissan released pricing on the new 2017 Rogue Hybrid. It has a starting price of $26,240 and will be available at Nissan dealers in the West, Northwest and Mountain regions (18 states total).

2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

[​IMG]

The 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid SV FWD trim costs $1,000 more than the non-hybrid Rogue SV FWD model.

The new FWD/AWD 2017 Rogue Hybrid is rated at 33/35/34 and 31/34/33 mpgUS city/highway/combined respectively.

The new FWD/AWD 2017 Rogue non-hybrid by comparison is rated at 26/33/29 and 25/32/27 mpgUS city/highway/combined respectively.

2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid and Non-Hybrid Pricing

Rogue SV FWD Hybrid/Non-Hybrid - $26,240/$25,240
    Rogue SL FWD Hybrid/Non-Hybrid - $31,160/$29,960
    Rogue SV AWD/Non-Hybrid - $27,590 /$26,590
    Rogue SL AWD/Non-Hybrid - $32,510/$31,310

D&H Charge $940.

Although I am not a fan of payback comparisons, with just a $1,000 premium for a vehicle that receives 34 vs 29 mpg in the case of the FWD Rogue and $1,200 price premium for a vehicle that receives 33 vs 27 mpg (combined ratings) in the case of the AWD Rogue, the fuel savings is easily justifiable.

The $1,000 premium 2017 FWD Rogue Hybrid saves 509 gallons - $1,272.50 at $2.50/gallon - vs the 2017 FWD Rogue non-hybrid over 100k miles.

The $1,200 premium 2017 AWD Rogue Hybrid saves 710 gallons - $1,775 at $2.50/gallon - vs the 2017 AWD Rogue non-hybrid over 100k miles.

Buy the Hybrid if the final negotiated pricing is just $1k and $1.2k higher than the non-hybrid!

I am pretty sure the Nissan Rogue Hybrid Product Planning and Marketing teams complete this calculation in even more detail more than a few times when coming up with and than releasing the 2017 Rogue Hybrid pricing this morning. :)

Wayne

15. xcel

Nissan’s Star Wars-themed VR experience Earns Bronze in Cannes

Nissan continues to feature its Rogue with a Bronze Lion in the Mobile Category awarded at this year's Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity for "Battle Test: A Nissan 360-Degree Virtual Reality Experience."

[​IMG]

The digital experience simulates the battlefield from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It was made in collaboration with Lucasfilm Ltd., Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), Skywalker Sound and global experience design agency Critical Mass.

The Nissan and Star Wars collaboration gives movie enthusiasts, car lovers and virtual reality fans an opportunity to experience cinema-quality digital effects created by ILM, rendered in 360-degree, combined with immersive sound-design and mixing from Skywalker Sound.

The win reflects the global experience design agency's dedication to customer-centric experience design, and an understanding of Nissan's commitment to automotive safety. The "Battle Test" experience demonstrates the advanced safety features of the Nissan Intelligent Safety Shield®.

The fully immersive experience was shortlisted for the mobile category, which includes some of the year's top digital work.

[​IMG]

The collaboration with Lucasfilm had a positive impact on sales of the Nissan Rogue. Year-over-year sales of Rogue were up 53 percent in December, 46 percent in January, 54 percent in February and 43 percent in March.

16. xcel

2018 Nissan Rogue Hybrid Details and Pricing

Nissan announced U.S. pricing for the 2018 Rogue Hybrid, which is on sale now at Nissan dealers in the West, Northwest, Mountain and Mid-Atlantic states. Pricing starts at $27,020 MSRP for the Rogue Hybrid SV.

2018 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

[​IMG]

First introduced in the 2017 MY, the Rogue Hybrid's 2.0L I4 and 30kW electric motor, connected to the Xtronic CVT provides a 33/35 mpg city/highway rating for FWD models. Rogue Hybrid AWD models are rated at 31/34 mpg city/highway.

The 2018 Rogue Hybrid adds a number of significant enhancements over its year old predecessor.

Finally, it will incorporate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto plus one additional USB port on all trims.

Motion-Activated Liftgate was added to SV and SL trims
    SL trims receive Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Intelligent Lane Intervention (I-LI) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) with Pedestrian Detection
    SV Premium Package adds Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) and memory driver's seat and outside mirrors

2018 MY Nissan Rogue Hybrid Pricing

SV FWD - $27,020 USD +$780 over the 2017 MY
    SL FWD - $32,380 USD +$1,220 over the 2017 MY
    SV AWD - $28,370 USD +$780 over the 2017 MY
    SL AWD - $33,730 USD +$1,220 over the 2017 MY

D&H - $975 +$10 over the 2017 MY

The 2018 Rogue Hybrid utilizes Nissan's advanced Intelligent Dual Clutch system a compact Li-Ion battery and electric motor to provide supplementary power through its one-motor/two-clutch system. The first of the two clutches is a dry clutch installed between the I4 and the electric motor. The system also includes an Idle Start/Stop system.

The Rogue Hybrid provides a 141 hp 2.5L I4 and 40 hp electric motor (176 hp net) powered from the Li-Ion all working through the CVT to the drive wheels.

The Rogue Hybrid SV and SL include a Motion-Activated Liftgate std. A panoramic roof is also available. The 2018 Hybrid also includes the 2018 Rogue’s redesigned front grille badge area for 2018 and headlights with LED DRLs. The SL includes standard 18” alloys.

Zero Gravity front buckets are std. Heated front seats are available. Leather-appointed seats are standard on SL. The rear seats are 60/40 split.

Standard interior features include SiriusXM Sat Radio, 5.0” center driver display, 4-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system with auxiliary audio input jack, USB connection port for iPod interface and other compatible devices, Bluetooth Hands-free Phone System, RearView Monitor, Streaming Audio via Bluetooth and Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant (compatible smartphone required).

An advanced Bose audio system w/ in-dash CD changer AM/FM w/RDS, USB/aux. input, satellite radio, nine speakers and 7.0-inch display are standard on SL trims (optional on SV). Also standard on SL and optional on SV is NissanConnect with Navigation featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, SiriusXM Travel Link & Traffic. SL trims feature NissanConnect Services powered by SiriusXM.

Standard Rogue Hybrid include radar-based Blind Spot Warning (BSW), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB). The 2018 Rogue Hybrid SL is equipped with standard Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Intelligent Lane Intervention (I-LI) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) with Pedestrian Detection. Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) is standard with SL and optional with the SV Premium Package.

The Rogue Hybrid is assembled in Smyrna, Tennessee.

BillLin likes this.