Red Triangle

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by Suzan OBrien, Jul 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Suzan OBrien

Suzan OBrien New Member

The red Triangle does not show at start up, which I have read that it should. It does show briefly when I stop in the Brake position of the transmission. I have been using that at stops and lights to save my brakes. 120,000 miles on the od. and still have about 30,000 worth of pads left. Wondering if I haven't shot myself in the foot following advice that this 'wont hurt it'.

2006 Prius

Suzan

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

There's no need to use engine braking (the "B" mode of the transmission) in normal driving. It provides no benefit unless you're descending a very long, steep grade. As for the warning light, the only thing you can do is have it scanned for codes.

RedylC94 likes this.
  3. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

All B mode is doing is taking some of the regen energy and spinning the engine with it instead of putting it back in the batteries.
    Better off in D on a Prius.

4. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Check your oil.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

"B" mode on the shifter is for use on extremely long downgrades, where there's a possibility of the hybrid battery getting so full that the car won't charge it further, and there is STILL a lot more downhill to go. In short: coming down ski hills. In normal around-town driving, there is no reason to use B, it reduces charging, mpg, causes the car to rev high, and so on.

But, it's not clear that your use of B mode is behind the red triangle appearing. I would first check the engine oil level, top up if necessary, then get the car to a Toyota dealership, have them look it over, check for stored codes.

6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I'm reading quite literally, so the red triangle is only appearing momentarily, and you're questioning the LACK of the red triangle in the power on self test, right?

All the B-mode discussion is interesting and useful, but probably not of significance to the above question.

7. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Did you check your oil? I'm not kidding.