J.D. Power 2016 Automotive Initial Quality Survey Awards

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jul 9, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] ‎Kia‬ and ‪‎Hyundai‬ continue to make investments to improve customers short and long term satisfaction.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – June 22, 2016

Kia ranked first and Hyundai ranked third among all OEMs in the J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS).

New-vehicle quality improves 6%, double the 3% rate of improvement in 2015 and the largest increase since 2009.

For 30 years, the J.D. Power U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) has served as the industry benchmark for new-vehicle quality measured at 90 days of ownership and has proven to be an excellent predictor of long term reliability. Initial quality is determined by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality.

J.D. Power 2016 Automotive IQS Rankings

[​IMG]The focus of the study is model-level performance and comparison of individual models to similar models in respective segments, which helps manufacturers worldwide to design and produce higher-quality vehicles that exceed owners’ expectations.

The study examines 233 problems, which are organized into eight categories:
    • Exterior
    • Seats
    • Driving Experience
    • Engine/Transmission
    • Features/Controls/Displays (FCD)
    • Interior
    • Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
    • Audio/Communication/Entertainment/Navigation (ACEN)
    Quality improved across all eight problem categories measured in the study, with 21 of the 33 brands included in the study improving their quality in 2016 and one remaining the same.

For the first time since 2006, non-premium brands have fewer problems (104 PP100) than premium brands (108 PP100).

Kia ranked highest in initial quality with a score of 83 PP100, the first time in 27 years that a non-premium brand has topped the rankings. It is also the second consecutive year that Kia, which ranked second in 2015, has led all non-premium makes in initial quality.

Porsche (84 PP100) ranks second among all nameplates, followed by Hyundai (92 PP100), Toyota (93 PP100) and BMW (94 PP100).

For just the second time in the 30-year history of the study, U.S. domestic brands collectively have lower problem levels than all their import counterparts combined. The “Big Three” achieved a combined average of 103 PP100, improving 10 percent from their 2015 results which is double the improvement rate of the import brands at 106 PP100. The last time U.S. domestic brands outpaced imports was in 2010, when they held a 1 PP100 advantage (108 PP100 vs. 109 PP100, respectively).

J.D. Power 2016 IQS Top 10 OEM Manufacturer Ranks

[​IMG]

Kia

Kia was recognized by the J.D. Power organization as the brand with the highest scoring nameplate in its 2016 Initial Quality Study (IQS) out of all 33 makes in the U.S.

Kia’s rise was driven by segment-leading performances from the Sportage and Soul, while Forte and Sorento placed second, and the Rio placed third in their respective categories.

2017 Kia Sportage

[​IMG]

Michael Sprague, COO and EVP, Kia Motors America:
    As Kia’s U.S. sales have grown, so too has the brand’s performance in J.D. Power’s Initial Quality Study. After entering the overall top 10 for the first time in 2013, Kia placed second in the industry and led all non-premium makes in IQS in 2015.

In Hyundai’s case, J.D. Power awarded both the Accent in the small car segment and Azera in the large car segment with the highest initial quality honors.

2016 Hyundai Azera

[​IMG]

Frank Ferrara, Executive VP, Customer Satisfaction, Hyundai Motor America:
    In total, six Hyundai models ranked in the top three in their segments. In addition to the awards for Accent and Azera, the Tucson (second), Veloster (third), Elantra (third) and Genesis (third) rank near the top in theirs. The Hyundai overall score was 92 problems per 100 vehicles, 13 fewer problems than the industry average and 3 fewer problems than last year.

The 2016 IQS is based on responses from more than 80,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2016 model-year vehicles surveyed after 90 days of ownership. The study uses a 233-question survey designed to provide manufacturers with information to facilitate the identification of problems and drive product improvement.

BillLin likes this.
  2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

That list had a few surprises. Volvo was one, being almost dead last. After owning a number of Volvo's and still having acquaintances who are Techs at the dealer you get the inside story. Rule one with Volvo you NEVER EVER buy the first or second year of a new model or total redesign. Every time they did, it was a disaster on PR and warranty repairs for the dealers. 1982 the 700 Series, 1993 the 850's, 1999 OMG Nightmare S80 and lets not forget the first SUV the 2002 XC90. All of these cars had major warranty problems in their first two years of production. The S60 actually wasn't that bad from the start.

Here's the rub I can pick up a 2013 S60 AWD with the T5 250HP engine for 50% off list with under 36K on the clock, need I say more.
    A 2015 with 10K on the clock $10K off list or a 2015 S60 T5 with 14K on the clock $13K off list. These are dealer listed prices.

20 years ago to get a Volvo for 50% off list you would have been looking at a five year old car with 60K plus on the odometer.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

These PP100 numbers surprise me. I would have expected 84 (best PP100) to be the number for PP1000 or higher. Another way I am thinking about these numbers is either there are several lemons (multiple issues) within every 100 cars, or 84 out of every 100 cars have a problem. Neither sounds very good.

I expect and have experienced perfect cars in many purchases. So my experience does not match the polled statistics.

xcel likes this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I don't take away Kia and Hyundai their strong positions but there are so many "problems" with the tally that it begs disbelief. Honda, Subaru, Acura, Mazda way way below VW in initial quality and only slightly above Land Rover? Please...

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. xcel

Hi Jay:

I suspect Honda/Acura are getting decimated because of their lack of audio controls and odd USB port layout like Ford did with SYNC and SYNC 2.0. Just a suspicion but those are quality measures despite not having anything to do with actual car operation.

Honda/Acura may also be getting hit for their poor HW/SW RCC implementation as well.

Just guesses but these three items are substandard to the rest of the industry and very un-Honda like in their implementation.

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

That explains everything for me. A fickle consumer doing the survey can skew the results, and I know many such people so one can get statistically significant results. :)

For me, I think I'll put more weight in medium term to longer term reliability or cost of ownership data. I do get the point that the initial quality survey is used as an indicator.

xcel and Jay like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Honda Canada didn't install/mis-installed piston pin clips on the new Civics which was a massive headache for everyone involved. I can see how that would bump them down a few notches but not Acura, Subaru, and Mazda. Like Bill, I'm more interested in how a car holds up at the 100k mile mark and beyond. I'm extremely pleased with my Acura at 185k miles but then nobody buys 2002 Acura RSXs any more. I suppose it would be difficult for JD Power to track high mileage owners to even do a survey--thus the less important initial quality surveys.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. xcel

Chevrolet Performs Well in J.D. Power Initial Quality Study

Five Chevrolet vehicles led their segments in the J.D. Power 2016 Initial Quality Study. No other brand has more J.D. Power Initial Quality awards than Chevrolet and they have done that for the fourth consecutive year. Having more cars and trucks in the results certainly help that last one. ;)

This follows the brand’s strong showing in the 2016 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study, where Chevrolet also had more models ranked highest in its segments than any other brand.

Chevrolet segment awards in the 2016 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study include:
    • Silverado swept the full-size truck categories, with the Silverado 1500 receiving the top marks for LD trucks and the Silverado HD receiving the top marks for HD trucks
    • Equinox led the compact SUV segment (in a tie), with study results that were 15 points better than the segment average
    • Tahoe lead the large SUV segment, with study results that were 19 points above the segment average
    • Spark dominated the city car segment, with study results that were 48 points higher than the segment average