2016 Hyundai Tucson Sport Review: Turbocharger Ups Fuel Economy, Value Sets It Apart

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jul 9, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A class act proves to be one of Hyundai’s hottest sellers.

[​IMG]Cliff Leppke – CleanMPG – July 9, 2016

2016 AWD Hyundai Tucson Sport - $28,570 incl. mats and $895 D&H charge to start offers owners a 24/28 mpg city/highway rating.

TrueCar indicates this sharp looking CUV as spec’ed above can be picked up for as little as $25.5k on both coasts.

Hyundai’s previous-generation Tucson wowed with its shapely body. Nonetheless, it was an improvement in search of further refinement. For 2016, the revamped Tucson Sport with the optional 175 hp and 195 lb.-ft. of torque 1.6-liter direct-injected and turbocharged I4 engine mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automated manual transmission has added zip and less sip. Tucson’s plus side now includes instrumentation, controls, rear seating, stowage and driver aids. My well-equipped tester topped $31K. There’s a cheaper SE model but its engine doesn’t put out. It’s neither powerful nor easy on gas.

2016 Hyundai Tucson

[​IMG]
    Great looking CUV with a value pricing strategy to match.​

Thus, let’s start with the Sport’s power plant. The turbo four, which also motivates the Sonata Eco, is employed here for a similar purpose—improved fuel economy vs. the standard mill. And it also doesn’t drone and moan like the previous generation Tucson did with its eco-geared automatic. And when it comes to putting power to the wheels going turbo means you also get a dual dry-clutch self-shifting manual transmission. It’s jerky, but after a week behind the Tucson’s leather-wrapped wheel, I found either the car or my right foot found the magic touch.

[​IMG]

Since I drive manual transmission cars, I might be biased. Obvious gear changes, which are very smooth once launched, felt pleasantly athletic. Fuel economy: 24 mpg according to the gas pump’s figures. The crossover’s mpg calculator spit out 26 overall, with 29 on one highway trek.

Hyundai’s done its homework: It now sports a spare tire rather than an inflator kit, the rear floor not only folds like those in German wagons, it also drops a few inches lower if you’d like. The cargo cover can be moved to several different places allowing the rear seats to recline. You can place that cover below the floor for max cargo room. An automatic opening rear lid is icing on the cake.

[​IMG]

The 19-inch tires are slick in the worst sense. Installed on stylish wheels, they came up short in cold-weather grip. Ride quality is good but can be brittle. Steering feel is poor, not ideal for icy patches, but the stability program is effective. Overall, it’s agile.

[​IMG]

Hyundai’s six-point three-bar grille is the face of this fashion-forward ride. With LED “eyebrow” lighting it democratizes a luxury-car trick. And there’s a large glass roof window overhead too. Since bumpers don’t protrude much front or rear—sort of bubble butt in the back, a parking mishap, such as “Nerfing” a post, could take out more than a bumper cover. There’s a backup camera with parking assist that beeps, which should help.

[​IMG]

Given the price the Tucson can be picked up for and the fact it is an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rated from both the driver and passenger side - something no other CUV/SUV has achieved to date - the Hyundai’s Tucson Sport is a nifty package. A turbocharger, dual-clutch transmission and driving amenities make this a covetable CUV.

BillLin likes this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bill:

I am still getting around to that story wrt to the Tucson specifically. ;)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Hi Wayne,

The base article you posted for Cliff prompted me to search for the IIHS info on the passenger coverage. The final paragraph in the base note surprised me, indicating the Tucson was the current one and only car to rate Good for both driver and passenger.

Thanks for the new post on the Tucson specific to the IIHS rating. I have yet to read that thoroughly.

Cheers,
    Bill

xcel likes this.