2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited and SE Review

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Jun 28, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The current Elantra marketing campaign includes the slogan: Not just new. Better.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – June 28, 2016

The all-new 6th generation 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE with the 6-speed AT - $19,110 to start while offering owners a 28/37 mpgUS city/highway rating.

The Elantra was introduced more than a quarter of a century ago and has now achieved global sales of more than 10 million vehicles.

Two big awards the previous 4th generation earned included the ‘2012 North American Car of the Year’ and ‘2014s highest ranked compact car for initial quality’ from J.D. Power and Associates. Hyundai hoped to see a repeat with one of its best-selling models here and around the globe but since the all-new 5th gen 2017 model introduction here in the U.S., sales have been in decline.

The all-new 2017 Elantra builds upon its global presence with an all-new exterior mimicking the not so well received, Genesis driven Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 front end. My worries about the all-new exteriors consumer acceptance have proven to be true with U.S. sales through May of 2016 reaching 73,892, down 27.0 percent below the 102,085 sold through the same period of 2015.

Hyundai May 2016 Sales Up 11.6% with 71,006 Vehicles Sold

The All-new 2017 Hyundai Elantra is .8 inches longer and 1 inch wider than its predecessor delivering a small midsize passenger (95.6 cu. ft.) and Cargo volume (14.4 cu. ft.) totaling 110.6 cu. ft. The new body structure also uses 32 percent more advanced high-strength steel compared to the 2016 model.

The Limited trim includes an Integrated Memory Seat (IMS) while the Smart Trunk opens automatically when the Smart key-holder approaches from the rear.

On the safety front, the Elantra can be equipped with Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB), High Beam Assist (HBA), Blind Spot Detection (BSD) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA). In other words, it is looking to achieve the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rating. Neither the IIHS nor NHTSA crash test ratings for the 2017 Elantra have been completed/released as of this write-up.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Exterior

[​IMG]
    From the floor of the LA Auto Show.​

The 2017 Elantra incorporates Hyundai’s fluidic sculpture design DNA with two deep hood feature lines working their way down from the A-Pillar towards the outside of the large single-frame hexagonal grille underlined in Chrome. To the sides, slim wraparound lenses with LED DRLs and optional HIDs with Dynamic Bending Lights on the Limited trim with a package.

The car’s profile includes a thin chrome beltline, a character line running over the handles vs. through them on the current gen and more defined wheel arches. A lower mid door cutout is a little higher than the previous that was cut just above the sills.

Outback the all-new Elantra uses a larger chrome flying H Badge and wider taillamp lenses that encroach into the central deck a little further.

Missing is the swooping character line, through the taillamp lenses, the rear fascias central crease working up and under those same lenses and the lower rear arches working back into the lower rear fascia.

A Cd of just 0.27 was achieved with those air tabbed wheel arches, bumper ribs and under body covers.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Interior

[​IMG]

The interior has been reworked for improved ergonomics with a resemblance to the larger Sonata. More soft-touch materials have been added through the entire cabin. Buttons on the dashboard were regrouped according to functions and the cockpit layout was also angled 6.9 degrees towards the driver.

The new Elantra includes both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and a high end Infinity audio system plus two USB ports, heated front and rear seats, an 8-inch navigation screen, and remote start will also be available on the high end Limited trim.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Drivetrain

[​IMG]

The standard engine on the base SE and Limited trim is an Atkinsonized – through the use of intermediate valve cam phasing - 147 hp and 132 lb. ft. of torque 2.0L I4 with multi-port injection. A new electronically controlled thermostat decreases pumping energy and allows the thermostat to open at a higher temperature. Piston cooling jets spray oil at the lower position of the piston resulting in lower temperatures and increased efficiency. Altogether, the more powerful 2.0L now provides a 28/37 mpgUS city/highway rating with the 6-spd. AT. See below for our drive of this competitor.

A new 6-speed AT provides a 3.3 percent increase in efficiency while a new valve body improves shift responsiveness. A multi-clutch torque converter is also a new addition that allows more control over lock-up. Lower rolling resistance was achieved by suing double angular ball bearings.

The second powertrain - is the 32/40/35 mpg city/highway/combined rating. It is the all-new 128 hp and 156 lb-ft. of torque 1.4L GDI-T available on an Elantra Eco trim which we should be driving possibly as early as next week? It is mated to the fast shifting EcoShift 7-speed DCT.

The 1.4L GDI-T uses an integrated cylinder head and exhaust manifold and a straight intake port for more tumble flow. The turbocharger is a single scroll design with an electric wastegate actuator. The optimized turbine and compressor with electric wastegate improves low-end torque and part-load fuel economy by reducing back pressure.

All Elantra trims are equipped with Drive Mode Select feature that adjusts both powertrain performance and steering effort, allowing the driver to customize the driving character by selecting from three modes: Eco, Normal or Sport, simply by touching a button on the center console.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Chassis

One of the 5th gen Elantra’s major design focus was to reduce road noise. The Elantra was already pretty good in this regard and in my single day at the short lead and yesterday on the road, they did a great job. Re-engineered thickened door glass and new rear-wheel guard materials also help reduce noise penetration into the passenger cabin. Plastic and rubber bushings on the front sub-frame and larger bushings on the lower control arms also help isolate road shock into the cabin.

The all-new Elantra’s suspension geometry has been redesigned to provide greater control and improve ride quality. Changes include the rear shock absorber and spring positioning increasing ride comfort with improved on-center feel with a reworked EPS. More caster angle but it is still not a Mazda3. Better but not best in this regard.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Safety

The all-new Elantra chassis consists of 53 percent Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS), an increase of 32 percent over the previous gen. AHSS increases rigidity and protects passengers.

The Elantra can be equipped – Limited Trim with package - with an Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) system that can braking autonomously if required. Using radar and camera sensors, AEB operates in three stages, initially warning the driver visually and acoustically, while gradually increasing the braking force. When a potential accident with the vehicle in front or a pedestrian is detected, the brakes will be activated when the vehicle is travelling faster than 6 mph.

A High Beam Assist (HBA) function automatically detects an approaching vehicle and dips the 2017 Elantra’s high beam headlights at night to reduce glare. When the system no longer detects a vehicle ahead, it re-activates the high beam to provide a clearer field of vision for the driver.

The Blind Spot Detector (BSD) with Lane Change Assist (LCA) uses a radar to monitor the rear corners and, if another vehicle is detected, a visual alert appears on the exterior mirrors. An audible signal is emitted when the driver tries to change lanes to where the vehicle is approaching. This also applies for a lane change situation when another vehicle is approaching from behind at a higher speed.

Using the BSD sensors, the Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) system reduces the risk of collision with approaching traffic when reversing out of narrow areas with low visibility. Using a radar to scan 180-degrees behind the vehicle for approaching cross-traffic, RCTA alerts the driver visually and acoustically.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited Review Begins

Today's ride is courtesy of the Hyundai Corporation in the form of a 28/37 mpgUS city/highway rated 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited.

[​IMG]
    Readying for its first drive.​

This is the 3rd in the series of recent compacts to go head to head as we have already driven the all-new 16 Civic with both the 2.0L and fantastic 1.5T as well as the sharp looking all-new 16 Cruze.

In this week’s review drive, the Elantra Limited is an entirely new generation with a more edgy exterior vs the flowing design language of the previous gen. It is a fully loaded super compact with a total price tag of $27,710 USD which includes the following:

The base Elantra Limited ($22,350) includes the 147 hp and 132 lb-ft of torque 2.0L I4 mated to a std. 6-speed AT.

17" alloys harm its efficiency but fills the wells nicely providing the sports car appearance from a std. everyday compact.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited Monroney

[​IMG]

The good stuff like LED DRLs and taillamps, side mirror turn signals and approach lighting with the proximity key is std. in the Limited trim.

Dual auto climate, 2 USB ports, all the switches are backlit, wheel mounted audio, Radar CC, phone and menu controls, leather interior, wheel and shift knob.

The Tech pkg. ($2,500) adds an 8" NAVI with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as the centerpiece of the interior. Audio includes a high end Infinity system w/ 8-speakers and the Clari-Fi system that restores some of the Audio presence lost during streaming compression. Listening to Pandora - Alison Krause & Union Station, Miles To Go - and its own compressed stream with it as I type this up. One of it not the best compact car audio systems money can buy. Powered roof, heated front and rear seats plus auto dimming rear view with Homelink round out the pkg.

Pairing to my LG G4 was almost instant and Pandora from the screen through Bluetooth including thumbs up and thumbs down interaction is by far the best of any compact including the luxury ones I have ever tested. I have experienced a lot of frustration with smartphone integration in just about everything over the past year. Hyundai's most advanced audio system in the Elantra provided the one thing most fail to do. Pair it and it just works.

It also incorporates the tech pkg. ($1,900) HIDs and dynamic light bending, auto emergency braking w/ pedestrian detection, Radar CC, Lane Keep Assist and 2 memory driver’s seat adj.

Floor mats add $125 and the D&H charge adds $835 to the price tag for the grand total mentioned above of $27,710 not incl. TT&L.

TrueCar is showing this exact setup can be picked up for $3.5k to $4k off retail.

June 28, 2016 – 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited TrueCar Price Report

[​IMG]

From the previous gen, the new Elantra is now class leading in the passenger compartment NVH metric. More and smarter sound deafening and a lot more structural adhesive's vs welds have quieted it down nicely.

The most impressive item for me so far is the driver seat positioning and audio controls are the best in segment.

Well, time to top it off and complete the 104 mile calibration drive on that SOB called the 405/5 here in Southern California.

It took over an hour to top the 17 Hyundai Elantra Limited off. It's now rush hour in LA to San Diego. Displays reset and it's time to roll.

[​IMG]

Calibration Drive Results

The 28/37 mpg rated 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited performed exceptionally well on the 405/5 calibration drive despite 50 minutes to cover the first 16 miles at just 52 mpg indicated up to that point. A few stop and crawls through Irvine, at the 405/5 junction, through Dana Point and again through Oceanside and Carlsbad but a lot of open field running helped propel the Elantra Limited to an exceptional result.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited Stopped on the 405

[​IMG]

I will not know if it is truly under rated until the steady states on the overnight drive tests later this week but it just put the 16 Cruze and 16 Civic with the 2.0L on notice. And this is the Limited, not the more efficient base or Eco trims which we should be receiving in a few weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

64.1 mpg over 102.9 miles indicated yielded 104.1 miles on 1.627 gallons for a 63.98 or 64.0 mpg actual result. Hyundai is taking their fuel efficiency accuracy serious nowadays. Great to see it too.

Best driver seating, noise abatement, and audio system of all the std. compacts so far. From an efficiency standpoint, it appears the 30/42 mph rated 16 Civic with the 1.5L T has the edge by >10% at its limits. Elantra Limited second, Cruze third and base Civic with the 2.0L and CVT sitting on the bottom.

I will test out the Radar CC and LK systems tonight to get a feel how they stand up to the average system in the Cruze and terrible one in the Civic Touring.

All in, I was pleasantly surprised given the somewhat non-competitive EPA ratings.

I am home at last after a whirlwind 1/3 the way around the world Japan First Drive over the weekend and back for some first day calibration drive impressions with the 2017 Hyundai Elantra yesterday evening. :)

[​IMG]

I tried out the 2017 Hyundai ‎Elantra Limited's RCC for the last 15 miles back home from the final calibration fill. Although I still need to test it during a full on stop and crawl, with RCC set at 65 mph and 4-bars adjustment, it held a 3 second following ‪#‎distance between 35 and 60 mph. More importantly is the accels and decels were much less dramatic than its competitors systems. Civic having the highest Gs up and down and Cruze about average.

Good stuff Hyundai.

And both a real sunglass holder and large map lights you can find and initiate without taking your eyes off the road.

[​IMG]

Good stuff once again.

More to come throughout the week …

JonNC, Jay and BillLin like this.
  2. xcel

Hi All:

Why the above now before even the Steady States are complete with the aFCD calibration input? I am really screwed up with the Asian Jet lag.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I've been reading rumors on the web that the hatchback Elantra/i30 is getting the Ioniq hybrid drivetrain for next year. Hear any news about that?

xcel likes this.
  4. xcel

Hi Jay:

I have not heard that and it seems kind of redundant but... ? Hyundai is known to replicate a good drivetrain across multiple platforms very quickly.

Was it you or someone else that linked the European Niro review in which the reviewer pulled down a 53 mpgUS result during his drive? Scary good for a compact CUV in my book and it will be interesting to see that drivetrain in the slick Ioniq this fall too.

It could put Hyundai back on track globally and with future fuel price upticks, bring the U.S. consumer back into the Hyundai fold as well. Especially with the Kia and Hyundai J.D. Power IQS results from last week.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

From my casual observer view point, if you slap an Elantra name plate on an Ioniq hybrid, I wouldn't know it was done...

xcel likes this.
  6. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I am glad that they updated the interior. I think this one will stand the test of time and get itself dated as quickly. Still have fond memories of our 2011 Limited. At that time, it had things you just could not find on any other compact and a serious price point advantage. The price point advantage is gone, but they are still fighting on the option front.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. xcel

Hi Jay:

Thanks for keeping up with this. I speak with the Hyundai PR team on a monthly basis but they are very short with little to add regarding the Ioniq in particular.

Wish I had more as this launch is just as big as Toyota's 4th gen Prius.

We shall see.

Wayne

9. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

There is a height challenged joke in there somewhere. :D

JonNC and xcel like this.
  10. xcel

Hi Bill:

Good catch. :)

Wayne

11. xcel

Hi All:

T-Mobile Tuesday's sees the 2017 Hyundai Elantra Ltd visiting a local Wendy's for yet another free Frosty.

What did we learn? Greeting lights in both the driver and passenger side door handles work as expected and the Auto High Beams work better than competitors setups.

FB_IMG_1467178924151.jpg FB_IMG_1467178933229.jpg FB_IMG_1467178938819.jpg

I am actually surprised at how well Hyundai integrated their first gen advanced safety systems. They work without fuss vs. competitors where everything feels thrown on to receive the IIHS TSP+ rating but does not work very well on the road.

Tomorrow is a long highway drive to run both the LDW and RCC systems through their paces.

Thanks TMobile, Wendy's and Hyundai.

#GetThanked

#efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

JonNC, BillLin and fishnrib like this.
  12. xcel

Hi All:

The 2017 #Hyundai #Elantra #Limited from the San Luis Reservoir.

The RCC system shuts down at 6 mph which can be annoying vs the 0 mph most of others shut down at. We were in stop and crawls at speeds just below that without actually reaching 0 mph before having to reaccelerate and reengage the system at approximately 7 to 8 mph.

In addition, the light wheel at parking lot speeds is welcome but at high speeds with the faster steering rack, it can be a handful. What helps is to set the LKAS to the std. level and allow it to correct as well.

Efficiency continues to be impressive for a 37 mpg rated car. Maybe tonight I will head out to complete the steady state Speed vs FE data collection.

FB_IMG_1467481719219.jpg FB_IMG_1467481715500.jpg FB_IMG_1467481711682.jpg FB_IMG_1467481707809.jpg

#efficient #long #distance #traveler - #

JonNC and BillLin like this.
  13. xcel

Hi All:

Traffic was a bit too heavy for steady states after midnight so I did the next best thing.

Given the superb performance of the 2017 ‪#‎Hyundai‬ ‪#‎Elantra‬ Limited on the 104 mile calibration drive (64.1 mpgUS) - and while climbing the I5 Grapevine to over 4,000' (46.7 mpgUS), how would it perform on RCC set at 60 mph from San Diego to LA and back to San Diego?

It performed very well.

11. 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited - Last Day.jpg 12. 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited - Last Day 56.1 mpg indicated.jpg

#Efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

JonNC and BillLin like this.
  14. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Tan-fastic.

xcel likes this.
  15. xcel

Hi All:

Last few minutes with the 2017 #Hyundai #Elantra Limited before turning it in for a more basic 17 Elantra SE.

Just giving her a little go juice before I do...

FB_IMG_1467866210875.jpg FB_IMG_1467866225113.jpg FB_IMG_1467866215097.jpg

Efficiency, audio, drivers seat comfort, interior layout, and safety systems that beat its competitors exceeded expectations.

The lesser desirable attributes include the less aggressive styling vs it's predecessor, vague steering at speed, and I heard complaints from back seat occupants that the seating was too hard.

Out with this sweet Hyundai compact and into the next.

#Efficient #Long #Distance #Traveler - #CleanMPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
    BillLin and JonNC like this.
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

You mean , the elegantly restrained styling trumps the clown-ish character lines of its predecessor , he asks innocently ?

BillLin likes this.
  17. xcel

Hi All:

This week we are driving the white 2017 ‪#‎Hyundai‬ ‪#‎Elantra‬ SE with the 147 hp and 132 lb-ft of torque 2.0L mated to the 6-speed AT. Yeah, tucked way up there under the stations apron...

2017 Hyundai Elantra SE at Shell in Orange.jpg

Just getting out of the full boat Limited, this baby is a bit more my style.

$18,150 to start, this one has the almost required Popular Equip pkg. ($800). This option adds a 7" touch screen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to take care of your NAVI needs when you have service, rear view w/ dynamic lines, auto lamps, 16" alloys, wheel controls, CC, BT streaming and heated mirrors.

2017 Hyundai Elantra SE Monroney.jpg

Mats all around ($125) and an $835 D&H charge bring it to just under $20k. $19,910 actually + TTL. Real world pricing looks like it can be picked up for between $2.5 and $3k off from one coast to the other.

2017 Hyundai Elantra SE - TrueCar Price Report.jpg

She's topped off and ready for another calibration drive... Time to roll.

2017 Hyundai Elantra SE - Displays Reset.jpg

PS: The suspension is softer than the Limited too. Not sure if that is good or bad yet. Just a note on the list.

BillLin likes this.
  18. xcel

Hi All:

The all new 28/37 mpg city/highway rated 2017 ‪#‎Hyundai‬ ‪#‎Elantra‬ SE is most certainly under rated by a few mpg. The Limited was showing some serious efficiency last week no matter the topography or traffic. The SE just proved it can play with its 41 and 42 mpg highway rated competitive siblings on a gallon to gallon basis and best most of them. We have not even touched the 30/40 mpg city/highway rated ‪#‎Eco‬ trim yet either!

2017 Hyundai Elantra SE - 72.1 mpg indicated over 71.6 miles.jpg

I picked this Elantra up at a new location in Orange, Calif. so my std. drive loops from LAX or Torrance were not available. The 72.4 miles, although short, was enough to get a feel. One 6 mile stop and crawl in which a biker went down on the 5 through Dana Point took 4 mpg off the average but we got 2 of that back over the next 30 miles...

2017 Hyundai Elantra SE - 72.4 miles 1.061 gal - 68.2 mpg.jpg
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE - Calibration Drive Traffic.jpg

72.1 mpg over 71.6 miles indicated, 72.4 miles actual on 1.061 gal. for a 68.2 mpg result.

Long weekend and day so I had better cut this one short and get back on the road as I have a ton of work left waiting for me at home.

‪#‎Efficient‬ ‪#‎Long‬ ‪#‎Distance‬ ‪#‎Traveler‬ - ‪#‎CleanMPG‬

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
    freegames44 and BillLin like this.
  19. xcel

07/08/2016 - 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE for just $13,999!

2016 Hyundai Elantra SE with the 147 hp and 132 lb.-ft. of torque 2.0L I4 mated to a 6-speed AT – It retails for $19,110 incl. mats and the $835 D&H charge to start (Limited starts at $23,310 incl. mats and D&H) while offering owners a 29/38 mpgUS city/highway rating in base SE trim and 28/37 mpgUS city/highway rating from the Limited.

[​IMG]

Antioch Hyundai in Antioch, California is the dealership offering this super Automotive Hot deal. Click the Hot Deal pic for their website. If you do not currently own a Hyundai, you will not qualify for the $500 Valued Owner Coupon. If you are a recent College Grad or Military, you qualify for another $500 off.

The 2016 Hyundai Elantra is just large enough in terms of passenger volume (95.8 cu. ft.) and cargo volume (14.4 cu. ft.) to qualify as a midsize car (110.2 cu. ft.) per EPA sizing specifications.

The SE includes 15” steel wheels, projector headlights, dual fold-away power body-color side mirrors, driver blind spot side mirror, auto on headlights, projector headlights with DRLs, variable intermittent windshield wipers/washer, cloth seats, 6-way manual driver and passenger seat (height-adjustable), tilt & telescopic wheel with cruise and audio controls, electroluminescent gauges with 3.5” mono-chromatic LCD display, power windows with driver's auto-down, front illuminated power-window switches, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback, A/C, AM/FM/SiriusXM/CD/MP3 Audio System with 6 speakers, iPod/USB & Aux input jacks, XM Sat radio, Bluetooth with phonebook transfer.

#Efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

BillLin likes this.
  20. EdwinTheMagnificent

It's nice to see that they still offer 15" steel wheels. Tires are considerably cheaper over 200,00 miles ( two sets ) with 15's than 16" or larger. Civic , I think , starts at 16" wheels.

xcel and BillLin like this.