NASA X - The Future of Fixed Wing Aircraft

Discussion in 'Commerical Transportation' started by xcel, Jun 22, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I am a fan of the NASA Channel and their X series is a good one. In this episode, they look at wing and fuselage design to increase efficiency as well as Biofuels to reduce emissions.

Wayne

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Didn't some other jet
    recently posted here
    have the engines set on pylons ABOVE the wing-just like one of the jets in this video

And complete aside (yes I OBVIOUSLY and getting old bring this up)
    weren't the older passenger jets -early 707's etc more graceful looking
    Most because the older engines were much smaller in diameter-making them more esthetically pleasing
    Current jets-mostly 2 engines of course-have huge bulbous looking engines
    Of course they are better in all respects
    EXCEPT they aren't as graceful looking
    Sure sign you are getting OLD- saying the old stuff "was better"
    it wasn't better -but some of it-LOOKED BETTER-
    even that ill fated Brit jet airliner-comet maybe?? very pretty plane-obviously "not better" than anything-but prettier!

xcel likes this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I thought the Comet was quite good looking. The B-52 looks awesome as does the B-58. I had a plastic model of the B-58 Hustler as a kid. The flying wings and stealth fighters/bombers, no so much.

re: thoughts of older looking better - is that like thinking the older Prius (Prii) look better than the gen4? :D

xcel likes this.
  4. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Honda Jet:

[​IMG]

Last era jets were just thinner with higher aspect ratio.

New engines have very high bypass ratio and require the larger diameter cowls. They are dramatically more efficient than the lower bypass JT8D and similar models.

The de Havilland Comet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful aircraft. Square windows (not present in above model), riveting methods and skin thickness caused stress concentrations that produced fatigue failures with repeated pressurization cycles. Multiple fatal crashes.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. phoebeisis

Yes that poor Brit plane-gorgeous-
    Like Bill and S Keith say-pretty plane- simple enough fix-but the crash or crashes-gave the lead to the USA- Boeing or maybe another USA manufacturer-guessing they got the window stress right

and the much more efficient engines-need to bypass more of the air-use less gas but still get all the possible thrust-
    still that Comet or the 707 or the earlier B52s much more elegant than current twin engine airliners

B58 Hustler- heck it was on OUR SIDE- but it scared me when I saw pictures of it when I was a kid-born 1951
    The B58 LOOKED like an ATOMIC BOMBER should look-scary SOB

Right-the Honda jet-which "we" decided doesn't make sense-too little range-(1100 miles) one maybe 2 stops to go cross country?? All the $$ and two stops to go LA To NYNY- what is the point-a car could do the trip-2 drivers-in 40-45 hours- the zillion dollar jet-2 refueling stops-12 hours-is that worth MILLIONS of $$$??
    The Road Trip-you actually see and interact with USA-E-INS the jet-it isn't travel at all.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. xcel

5a128b1461950ffa7868bd6e9bc50cd0.jpg

Hi Charlie:

Great analogy about the B-58 Hustler looking scary as hell. As it should be given what it carried. Never thought of that beautiful plane like that before.

And it is to bad the HondaJet does not carry more fuel. Being the most efficient but not meeting the markets basic needs is going to create slow sales until they add a lot more range. :(

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. phoebeisis

Wayne
    We-my late wife-son-niece-saw a B58 in Tucson-maybe 1999 or so-at that huge air museum there-Pima maybe?
    They also had an SR71
    and the entire 100 series of fighters
    It was HOT really really hot-july probably

and anyone who says "it isn't the heat it is the humidity"
    obviously has never been to Tucson Las Vegas Phoenix in the summer-hell on earth

xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

re: heat - frying eggs on sidewalks (on a car, but spray some Pam first, not that I would ever try it) comes to mind...

re: SR71 - ah, the Blackbird, another plane I like...

xcel likes this.
  9. phoebeisis

Bill
    SR71 maybe the greatest plane ever-
    Another scary looking but beautiful plane

xcel likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi Bill:

Menacing and beautiful...

779ba45c79c305d0dfb4035b84bc809b.jpg

BillLin likes this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That's why I think Honda picked the coolest name EVER for a motorcycle , back in 1997 , I think. Super Blackbird !

12. phoebeisis

Edwin
    Yeah great name.
    It took the japanese a LONG time to get the styling and naming -of motorcycles and cars-right.
    For a while they styles cars and bikes-as if they were going to appear in a Toho Godzilla movie
    The movies where Godzilla was the good "guy" fighting off "bad" monsters that were controlled by aliens
    Sorta "art deco meets aero meets heavy doper director 1960's SCI FI"-Weird styling
    They built many over the top bikes-the Honda 6 cylinder and the Honda oval cylinder bikes-
    but the styling lagged-when they tried to move from copying the Brits-they usually MISSED-
    Great motors-strange looking-the various Kawasaki 3 cylinder 2 strokes-usually styling misses-
    the RD's were Brit copies-so they were "ok"
    Katanas-kinda weird initially

The SR71- B58 -various 100 series-were pretty planes-but scary looking-
    the F104 a hard to fly plane-was also cool looking-no surprise-it was also a Kelly Johnson plane I think(P 38 F104 U-2 SR71-all cool looking-and great planes(except perhaps the F-104 but it was muy fast for the time)

I love planes cars motorcycles light trucks bicycles air rifles firearms(but not to hunt- got nothing against squirrels deer strictly target shooting and self defense-some people are evil - cops will never rescue you took 3 HOURS in orlando-I favor the 2nd amendment for me-not for you of course-just me-I would have no objection to be limited to revolvers or 10 shot pistols and 5 shot rifle-)

xcel likes this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Good one , Charlie !