2016 Malibu Hybrid where is the real test drive reviews????

Discussion in 'GM' started by alster, May 26, 2016.

1. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Why is it there seem to be no real world test drive reviews our there for the 2016 Malibu Hybrid. They are already at dealers lots for sale and have been for a few weeks now. Still waiting for Wayne to post a complete review on it.....

xcel likes this.
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

It depends on GM providing the cars to journalists. Maybe GM has not done much of that yet.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

It appears some reviews have started trickling in online... Could be a long line of awaiting journalists.

xcel likes this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

"Real World " results for hybrid cars ( in the capable hands and lead feet of auto jounalists) tend to be pretty unimpressive numbers. This applies to Ford, Toyota , Hyundai , everyone who sells a hybrid.
    But one has to wonder if the General is a bit ashamed of their car. On paper ( and picture) it looks great.

xcel likes this.
  5. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Some dealers already have the hybrids on their lots for sale. I have seen extensive reviews even before other new cars are on dealers lots with other vehicles but
    the Malibu Hybrid remains with no extensive review.

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

Only a few schmucks would buy this car, even if it's great , without reading SOME sort of review. Just my opinion.

kbergene and xcel like this.
  7. BillLin

...but how do you REALLY feel, Edwin?

Edit: I have not seen any on fuelly.com, yet.

kbergene and xcel like this.
  8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Alster:

I have pressed GM on this too. The Malibu Hybrid is going to start showing up in Press Fleets this fall. Strange that it will be out so many months after dealership availability and leads to questions. I also saw a dealer in Calif. with a fully loaded $36k model for < $30k already.

Wayne

kbergene and BillLin like this.
  9. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder if the latest EPA fuel economy testing "tweaks" wreaked havoc on the Malibu hybrid?

kbergene, xcel and BillLin like this.
  10. alster

alster Well-Known Member

It almost makes think that GM has something to hide with the 2016 Malibu Hybrid. I know that their other Malibu
    Hybrid about 5-6 years ago was a real dog and there was not much of a mpg gain.

xcel likes this.
  11. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

No cars on Fuelly, no cars for journalists, no review on Consumer Reports. EPA estimates that sound too good to be true. Wonder if this is the next CMax? Tried building one just now and they insists on larding the car up with every option under the sun as packages to get the individual features that interest me. I want real world fuel economy tests, not the EPA which is too easy to game.

xcel likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Screw the real world. I want "Wayne's World" fuel economy tests.

xcel likes this.
  13. BillLin

If it is in a dealership near you, go for a test drive. I see none on cars.com.

xcel likes this.
  14. alster

alster Well-Known Member

xcel likes this.
  15. BillLin

My apologies... user error. I had not flipped my search from used to new. They must be going quickly. 510 left at 11:42 EDT.

xcel likes this.
  16. 300kmileprius

300kmileprius Well-Known Member

Malibu hybrid is now available in East Providence. EPA ratings are 48 in town and 46 on the road. Total hybrid system output is an ample 182hp and 277 torque. Although there was too much traffic to do an accurate steady state test, the fuel economy observed seem to match the ratings. From the off ramp back to the dealer at low speed, the car showed 53mpg. Top electric speed observed was 50 mph although this was at 50 percent SOC. I previously read 55 mph is the electric only limit. The car felt very stable at 95 mph for the brief time I was up there. More information after the next test drive. Top speed is supposedly 130mph.

17. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jesse:

Post your pics.

TIA

Wayne

18. 300kmileprius

19. 300kmileprius

20. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Finally a somewhat real world review of the 2016 Malibu Hybrid.

xcel likes this.