Beaded seat covers to stay cool?

Discussion in 'General' started by MPGee, May 16, 2016.

1. MPGee

MPGee Active Member

Hey all,

Anyone ever try using those retro beaded seat covers in an attempt to stay cool?..

I've never used them before, but with summer approaching, and my MPGee-ness staying strong, I would like to try to remain as comfortable as possible, without hurting my FE. Right now I've got a pair of generic faux-leather seat covers on. And, when I tried driving home w/ no shirt on to try to stay cool, I found that my back had adhered itself to the seat cover... NOT COOL. The only gotcha I've seen w/ the design is that if you have a hairy back or long hair, it may not be for you.. :p

Come to think of it, are there any compilation lists on here on ways to tips on how to stay cool w/o AC and windows going?.. Not sure how many other tricks there are, out there...

-MPGee

2. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Used one on my motorcycle years back and it worked like a charm. It is a little different due to the open airflow, but it should help because it is based off of the same principle.

08EscapeHybrid likes this.
  3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Yes, they help somewhat. If weather gets really hot, and you want to run with little or no A/C then beaded seat covers help you stay cooler.

A way to stay cool is to use a Kool Tie - it absorbs a lot of water, and as it evaporates off your neck, it cools you very effectively. They are just $11:

http://kooltie.com/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  4. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'm guessing The Mystery Machine didn't have a/c...

[​IMG]

xcel, MPGee and Prozac like this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I used something like that Kool Tie , when I worked in a very hot place. I wore it on my head like a headband. It helped.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I do my best to keep the car cool before driving. Windshield sun shade is job #1. Find a tree to park under. If it's reasonable and safe, lower the windows a couple inches.

My problem with the beaded seat covers is that they're basically a net of ball bearings and you slide around.

RedylC94 likes this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I've never tried the beaded thingies myself. Hey , 1.6 million Indian cabbies can't be wrong, can they ?
    I also will crack my windows 1.5" if I'm pretty sure it will not rain. If it does start to rain , my car is only 50 ft away.

8. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

I use a beaded seat cover in the aerocivic since its old R12 a/c system is weak. The wooden beads are insulating so you don't land on a burning hot seat and it doesn't try to stick to your sweaty back as you get out of your seat at the end of your drive. The beads also rotate easily and can serve as a substitute for worry beads for your idle hand as you are cruising down the road.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow
    What a Blast From the Past.
    I haven't seen them on/in a car since the mid 1980's
    Charlie

MPGee likes this.
  10. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

Or you could go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Sports...UTF8&qid=1463680759&sr=8-1&keywords=LiquiCool

Half the price, 'Merican made, in solid "not-ashamed-to-be-seen-in-public-or-admit-ownership" colors!

11. MPGee

MPGee Active Member

lol. My sentiments exactly...

Thanks all for the feedback.. I received my order of beaded seat covers from eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201110528989) yesterday. Based on further reviews I've seen, biggest gripes on them are:
    • Not for the hairy or those w/ long hair - The beads can pull at them.
    • Poor construction - Most are made w/ the equivalent of a couple strands fishing line running through the beads.
    • Little or no provision for attachment to seats.
    • Poor quality beads - Eventually, wood particles begin settling on top of the seat under the beads...
    I'll let you know how it goes... I like the Kool-tie idea. Might be good for those longer drives. I will keep that in mind, if the beads don't do the trick. And I'm already doing the basics of a windshield shade/cracking windows. Also neat, there's a company out there that makes custom-fit side window shades.. For my car, it's at https://www.heatshieldstore.com/sun_shades_for/toyota/matrix/2007. I made some homemade ones out of cardboard lined w/ foil, and it's nice for privacy/heat shading.. The car still gets hot inside, but at a lesser degree, I imagine... Much less UV damage, I'd think.

BillLin likes this.
  12. MPGee

MPGee Active Member

A few weeks in, and May Gray/June Gloom has been here. It hasn't been anything close to hot here, but even so, I've noticed a difference coming back from the gym, where my clothes covering my backside haven't been drenched in sweat. It's nice. Downsides: There's no real fastening system for these, other than hooking the tops of it through the two bar headrest supports, so they do drag around near the bottom, if I'm not careful. Also, there are small wood shavings appearing on the seat. Small things.

Thumbs up from me, still. I will probably go for a kind with some kind of rigid support built in.

13. Steevo

Steevo New Member

Hello, I just recently bought a used 2015 Prius. I live in Las Vegas and I travel southern nevada and northern Arizona for work. I just bought a beaded seat cover at Wal-Mart for $9.95. I would rate it as slightly better than not using it, still very hot and have to run the AC alot. Of course it is 110-115 degrees outside this time of year. My next step will be much darker window tint.

14. NaturalNaturer

NaturalNaturer Active Member

I found this beaded car seat cover. It's nice.