Summer of 2016 Review Vehicles

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by xcel, May 5, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

HI All:

Scheduling vehicles for the next month plus.

On the 10th I am picking up a 2017 Audi Q7 in Calif. While the 3.0L TDI is still unavailable, we will get a chance to look over the all-new SUV/CUV segment leading automobile sans the Volvo XC90.

Working on trying to get behind the wheel of a Civic Coupe for the 17th through the 24th, again for Calif.

A yet to be named vehicle for the 24th - June 3rd in IL.

From June 3rd through the 10th, a 2016 Chevrolet Cruze. Working on a Malibu soon after too.

Wayne

2. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Tnx Wayne, curious to here what you think of the auto start stop on the Cruze

xcel likes this.
  3. xcel

Hi Rfruth:

I am looking forward to the Prius Prime - driving that one in Japan in late June and the Cruze as scheduled.

I am also looking forward to driving the unscheduled Sonata PHEV-27, IONIQ HEV/PHEV, Elantra and Elantra ECO, Tucson ECO, Malibu Hybrid, 17 Ford Super Duty and the Civic Coupe with the 1.5L T. I will drive some of these at the MAMA Spring Rally on May 25th and 26th but only for a short drive loop before hopping into the next one.

Wayne

4. xcel

Hi All:

Just locked in a Civic Coupe for May 17th - 24th in California and a Sonata Hybrid between the 24th and June 3rd in IL. Enough time to come up with those darn steady states this time!!! :D

An Odyssey in California sometime in July. I think? ;)

Wayne

5. xcel

Ram HD - Torture Tests in the Mojave...

I just received a note that a CleanMPG Towing Efficiency Test Drive has been fully authorized courtesy of RAM.

I am picking up a 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 equipped with the 6.7L Cummins and the 3.42 rear end. This is the standard rear end for all RAM 2500s. In this trim, it has a max payload and towing cap of 1,972 lbs. and 14,950 lbs. respectively.

The Laramie Longhorn is one trim level from the top Laramie Limited so it is essentially a fully loaded truck with everything but the kitchen sink. It may even have the kitchen sink for all I know. Actually, here is some of that kitchen sink.

2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn Highlights

Exterior

The Laramie Longhorn arrives with a front air dam, Front stabilizer, LED bed lighting, locking tailgate, spray-in bedliner, tow hooks, 4 and 7 Pin harness, trailer brake control, class V hitch, and full size spare all standard.

Interior

Passenger Interior Volume: 125.3
    Seating Capacity - Maximum Seating: 6

Like the 3500 we drove a few years back, the interior comfort should prove to be first rate as the Laramie Longhorn is a no compromise luxury ride to go along with its best in the 3/4 Ton class work capability. Premium leather high-back bucket seats, power 10-way driver seat with power lumbar and memory, power six-way front passenger seat with power lumbar, heated and ventilated front seats, heated leather wheel, heated second row seats, real wood trim, leather shift knob, premium leather-trimmed rear 60/40 split folding bench seat, dual auto climate, driver/passenger assist handles, power pedals with memory, proximity key and automatic headlamps, rear power sliding window, LED lighting, plus 12 and 115V aux power outlet round out the interior.

[​IMG]
    The Drivers view.​

Infotainment

Uconnect 8.4” touchscreen display audio with 9 Alpine speakers and sub, aux jack, 2 USB ports, HD radio, and Bluetooth w/ voice.

Drivetrain

The heart of the beast is the multi-award winning 370 hp and 800 lb. ft. of torque, 6.7L I6 Cummins mated to a wide ratio HD 6-speed AT. Emissions are controlled via EGR, Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), and a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

The Ram Heavy Duty features Ram Active Air intake system. When the intake system senses extreme heat and it will, it draws cooler air in from the front of the vehicle – a function that also engages at high altitudes - it will experience that as well - for superior throttle response in low oxygen environments.

The Cummins also has a Best-in-Class 15,000-mile oil change interval.

With the 18s or 20s - not sure how it is completely equipped, it will run between a very relaxed 1,297 and 1,313 RPM@60 mph with its 0.63 6th and 3.42 final. Let us hope it can tow 3/8 of its max tow cap while the torque converter locks up in 6th.

Chassis

The 50 KSI hydroformed steel frame incorporates additional cross members for strength and mass efficiency as well as hydroformed front and rear rail contours for a more secure placement of suspension components and mounts.

The Ram 2500 offers a choice between two rear suspensions: A standard five-link coil system or optional air suspension system. I am not sure which of the two class leading suspensions it will arrive with?

The standard five-link coil rear suspension helps reduce overall friction in the system without sacrificing heavy-duty towing capability. The result? Improved turning ability and an enhanced ride quality.

With a wider frame and significantly larger stabilizer bar, the three-link front suspension utilizes more outward positioned springs and stronger shocks help to give the driver a cushioned ride, especially when hauling a heavy payload.

Safety

4-Wheel Discs w/ ABS, ESC, ParkSense front and ParkView rear camera, and rear park assist are part of this trim.

2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Limited Pricing

2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn - July 13, 2016 TrueCar Price Report

[​IMG]

Pricing discounts off MSRP range $13k and $11k off from the East to West Coasts.

Warranty

3/36 bumper to bumper, Cummins Diesel Drivetrain: 5/100k and Roadside Assistance of 5/100k.

The 2016 Ram 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty are built at the Saltillo Truck Assembly Plant in Coahuila, Mexico.

The Tow Test

I will be renting a U-Haul dual axle auto trailer and placing a 2016 VW e-Golf on it. I plan on towing the e-Golf from about 50' ASL starting just south of LA, over the Cajon pass at 4,200' ASL, and back down to almost 0' ASL in Death Valley. You remember Death Valley, right? One of if not the hottest places on earth during the hottest time of the year. The Mojave as depicted in the video above at 105 degrees F. That was a nice drive to Grandma’s house compared to Death Valley in late July. 120 to 130 degrees F should provide the big RAM 2500s 22.5 Ls coolant capacity a real good workout. Yeah, this drive requires A/C use too. ;)

Oh, and about the climb up the Cajon Pass on I-15 in Southern California? That has 4 to 6 percent grade sections. 5,600+ pounds with the 3,400+ lb. e-Golf and 2,200+ lb. dual axle car trailer should be a cake walk for the Super RAM 2500 equipped with the Cummins.

Efficiency, who knows? This is going to be a great efficiency test of one of if not the most efficient HD Pickup available while towing one of the most efficient BEVs. I could not come up with a better platform to tow with or to be towed and doing so to the harshest summer climate on the planet makes the entire test AWESOME!

Any guesses on the results? I suspect it will come in between 20 and 25 mpg. How’s that for a “Wild Ass Guess” (WAG) range of results? :D

2016 RAM 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins

[​IMG]

A few tidbits about the exceptionally efficient 2016 VW e-Golf that VW is supplying for the efficiency tow test.

For 2016, the all-new value-oriented e-Golf SE has a starting price of just $28,995 and can be picked up through a $199/month lease offer. A 3.6 kW onboard charger is standard while a 480V Level3 DC Fast Charging Package ($1,675) adds a 7.2 kW onboard charger.

Charging times? From flat, 20 hours from a Level1 120V outlet, 4 hours from a Level2 240V outlet and if equipped with the DC Fast Charger, flat to 80 percent while on a 50 kW charger in ~ 30 minutes.

2016 VW e-Golf Drivetrain

The e-Golf is powered by a 115 hp and 199 lb-ft of torque synchronous AC motor operating up to a max RPM of 12,000 rpm through a single-speed transmission. Power is stored within the 24.2 kWh Li-Ion pack outputting a voltage of between 250 and 430 volts. It has an EPA estimated range of 83 miles and a 116 MPGe rating, highest of any compact BEV.

Standard aerodynamic 16” alloys fit tightly within the wheel arches while ultra-low rolling resistance 205/55 R16 tires take care of reducing rolling resistance. A radiator shutter and grille, underbody paneling, rear spoiler and C-pillar air vanes give the e-Golf a Coefficient of Drag (Cd) of 0.27.

Inside, the e-Golf offers exact same 93.5 and 22.8 cu. ft. of passenger and cargo volume as other Golf hatchback models. 52.7 cu. ft. with the rear seats folded.

Will we pull the e-Golf off the trailer for a little drive within Death Valley? That is TBD but I would say … Probably. ;)

2016 VW e-Golf

[​IMG]

Look for more details starting on June 27th.

BillLin likes this.
  6. I'm ready!

xcel likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi James:

I looked up flights out of DTW to LAX and back for you and it is a bit high at $490 RT to have you out for this one. :( I would have loved to have you out for this one given your background!

Wayne

8. Wow. Appreciate it! Thanks.

I had a competitor call me and offer a job. 20% pay raise, no cost health ins, INCREDIBLE benefits package. I start the new job Monday. Probably can't get time off for 60-90 days anyway

BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

The latest schedule and one that is always in flux...

October 18 - 25: 2017 Jaguar XE AWD w/ the 2.0L TD
    October 25 - Nov 1: 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
    November 1 – 8: 2017 Kia Optima SXL
    November 8 – 17: 2017 Kia Forte
    November 17 - 28: 2017 Mazda CX-9

There may be some last minute changes but this si the current schedule as laid out.

Wayne

TheStepChild and TheFordFamily like this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm really looking forward to the Jaguar !

xcel likes this.