BMWs 114 mile range 2017 i3 94 Ah

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, May 2, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 50% larger pack in the same storage volume yields more range with no sacrifice in volume or performance.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – May 1, 2016

2017 BMW i3 (94 Ah) – Pricing TBA while offering 114 miles of AER.

Just hours ago BMW announced that its BMW i has been upgraded. As the 2017 model year arrives, a new version with more than a 50% increase in battery capacity - 94 Ah or 33 kWh - thanks to higher energy density lithium-ion cells.

The battery dimensions remain unchanged while offering the significant increase to 114 miles combined (city/highway).

The performance figures are also unchanged with the longer range i3 providing a 0 to 60 time in just over 7 seconds. The Battery Electric BMW i3 with the Range Extender will also include the 94 Ah battery. When equipped with the Range Extender, if the driver requires additional range, the 2-cylinder gas engine is switched on once the battery is depleted to 6.5% SoC and keeps the charge level of the battery constant while driving and provides an additional range thanks to an even larger 2.4 gallon tank. BMW i is also offering a new Home Charger featuring additional connected functions.

2017 BMW i3 94 Ah

[​IMG]
    Notice the new i8 color on the i3?​

2017 BMW i3s New Li-Ion Battery

The new 2017 i3 (94 Ah) incorporates a 94 ampere hours (Ah) cell cap, 33 kWh total battery energy, and an electric range of approximately 114 miles combined (city/hwy) on one full charge. Consuming only 27 kWh/100mi the BMW i3 is the most efficient car in its segment.

The high-voltage battery of the BMW i3 consists of eight modules with twelve storage cells each and its capacity has increased by more than 50% without any changes in exterior dimensions. By optimizing the cell-internal packages with more electrolyte and adapting the active material, BMW and Samsung SDI have succeeded in increasing cell capacity to 94 Ah and overall battery energy to 33 kWh, 27.2 kWh of which can be used. The previous battery of the BMW i3 (60 Ah) produced 22 kWh of which 19 kWh could be used.

The high-voltage traction battery has an advanced thermal management system that keeps the battery operating in the optimal temperature range. The coolant of the A/C system is responsible for cooling the high-voltage battery while a heating system can be used to warm the battery to ensure the optimal operating temperature before starting off. Customers receive an 8-year/100,000-mile High-voltage Battery Warranty.

A single battery module can be exchanged which distinguishes the BMW i3 from others. From the production stand point, sustainability is achieved to a large extent through the CO2 free electricity supply of the BMW i production sites in Leipzig (assembly) and Moses Lake (CFRP production) as well as using 70 percent less water in the production process compared to conventional automobiles.

[​IMG]
    The chassis cutaway showing the Li-Ion traction battery layout.​

2017 BMW i3 Performance

The BMW i3 is by far the lightest car in its segment. Despite the slight weight increase, at 2,961 lbs (BEV), and 3,234 lbs (REX), the BMW i3 (94 Ah) is as agile as the 60 Ah model variant. The 3 phase AC synchronous electric motor generates 170 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque from 0 RPM and provides a top speed of 93 mph. Given the small footprint, the i3 has a turning radius of just 32.3 feet.

2017 BMW i3 Charging

The 7.4 kW onboard charger allows the 33 kWh battery to be charged from flat to full in just 4.5 hours on an appropriate output Level 2. This is only an hour longer than charging the 2016 i3 and its 60 Ah traction battery.

Standard equipment of the BMW i3 includes a 120V cable for connecting it to standard 120V outlet.

The BMW i3 is equipped with the future-proof SAE Level3 50 kW direct current (DC) fast charging tech. When the BMW i3 (94 Ah) is connected to a DC fast charging station, the battery can be charged up to 80 percent of its capacity from flat in less than 40 minutes. This means that the BMW i3 (94 Ah) achieves a charging speed of 2.5 mi/min.

ChargeNow is designed to optimize the public charging experience for BMW i customers. ChargeNow’s partnerships allows i3 owners convenient access to public chargers.

ChargeNow DC Fast: Offered by BMW in cooperation with EVgo, ChargeNow DC Fast allows eligible BMW i3 drivers in participating markets to enjoy 24 months of no cost charging at participating EVgo Stations. Enrolled BMW i3 customers can use the ChargeNow card for unlimited 30 minute, DC Fast Combo charging sessions and Unlimited 1 hour, Level 2 charging sessions.

2017 BMW i3 Range Extender

BMW i continues to offer its Range Extender. The range of the BMW i3 is extended by a 650 cc 2-cylinder gasoline engine which is located adjacent to the electric drive above the rear axle. The Range Extender engine delivers a maximum output of 38 hp and powers a generator in order to produce electricity. When the additional range is required, the Range Extender kicks in to keep the SoC constant and extending the i3s range. The Range Extender does not change the 15.1 ft of cargo volume with the rear seats up or 36.9 cu.ft of cargo volume with the rear seats down.

The BMW i3 (94 Ah) with Range Extender weighs an extra 270 lb compared to the Battery Electric BMW i3. It accelerates from zero to 60 mph in 8 seconds.

2017 BMW i3 Equipment

Standard features include Auto climate, Dynamic Cruise Control, LED Headlights, HD Radio, DC Fast Charging, Navigation Business System, BMW Assist and BMW Teleservices. Other standard features include the iDrive, the BMW i RemoteApp functionalities, Driving Dynamic Control switch, hands-free telephone operation, leather steering wheel and Park Distance Control (PDC).

The BMW i3 (94 Ah) is now available in the exclusive Protonic Blue metallic exterior color, previously only available on the i8. The BMW i3 (94 Ah) customer can also choose from two non-metallic paint colors (Capparis White and Fluid Black) and, in addition to Protonic Blue, three metallic paintwork colors (Mineral Grey, Platinum Silver and Ionic Silver).

The Deka World is now part of the standard profile of the BMW i3 (94 Ah) and features a lightweight dark cloth fabric interior made from recycled materials. Other changes to the standard profile include the addition of the Universal Garage Door Opener, Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information, and Comfort Access.

As part of the Tera World, a Dark Oak Wood trim is also now included, with an alternative Light Eucalyptus Wood trim available as well. These trims are also available for ordering with the Giga World.

[​IMG]
    To this day, the i3s interior is more a beautiful work of art than a car interior.​

An electric moonroof with a shade is available for the first time.

2017 BMW i3 Infotainment

The optional Navigation System Professional provides BMW ConnectedDrive Services developed for the BMW i. The range assistant follows the planned and currently driven route. If the destination selected in the navigation system is beyond the car’s range, the driver receives the suggestion to shift to the ECO PRO or ECO PRO+ mode. Additionally, the system calculates a more efficient alternative route. Should it be necessary to recharge at a public charging station, the driver is shown all the available stations along the planned route.

A dynamic range map is another central element of the connected navigation unit. Apart from the current charging status of the battery, the driving style, the activated electric comfort functions and the selected driving mode, the topographic features, the current traffic situation and the outside temperature are all taken into consideration. The Advanced Real Time Traffic Information (ARTTI) data is used for this purpose. The data is provided by the BMW ConnectedDrive Server.

The BMW i3 also sets standards when it comes to connecting driver and car. The BMW i Remote App provides useful vehicle-related mobility planning data available on the customer’s smartphone. Apart from pedestrian navigation; navigating your way to your destination from the parking space and back, BMW ConnectedDrive offers a so-called intermodal routing system and for the first time in combination with the Navigation System Professional. This also incorporates public transport connections such as subway stops if this means you can reach your destination quicker. From the actual trip in the BMW i3, looking for a parking space, changing onto a metro and or a walking route, the BMW i ConnectedDrive services take the customer to his destination efficiently.

[​IMG]

With sales heading south over a year ago, it will be interesting to see if a 100+ mile range i3 will rev up sales to their previous highs again.

BillLin likes this.
  2. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Nice new features. The interior trim seems to be a little less, I don't know, spartan?

xcel likes this.
  3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

There were several trim levels - some have real wood panels, and they look pretty good.

Considering that with reasonable driving at 55MPH and light A/C use, the 2015 i3 REx can go ~97 miles on the 18.8kWh usable battery, and then can get ~43MPG (on premium) after that - having the bigger battery capacity will be even better. I think they will be allowed to have a larger capacity gas tank on the REx, since it is proportional to the battery.

xcel likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Has anyone defeated the CARB dictated hobbling of the range extender yet?

xcel likes this.
  5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the i3 Rex and sustainability:

--33 Kwh is “right-sized” for the i3 Rex.

--33 Kwh i3 Rex might be considered “crusher proof”. (and perhaps the greenest car on the road):
    *Composite body — won’t rust, should last for 50 years.
    *647cc rex + generator, only runs for a couple thousand miles a year — should last for 50 years
    *33 kwh battery — at a likely future replacement cost of, say $200/kwh, then the $6,600 pack replacement cost (every 8, 10, 12+ years?) is manageable with the added bonus that a marginal battery pack can be supplemented (limped along) with the Rex until it’s a “good time” to replace the battery. Underbody mount minimizes labor costs.

So, .. … the sustainability concerns of the car buying public might be best served burning appox 50 gallons a year or so in a decades lasting i3 Rex vs. sending a fully highway capable BEV to the crusher at year 8,10,12 (?)
    --------------
    The concept of “new age personal transportation” evolving into a “too expensive to crush” (i.e replace every 10 years) is not without precedent. General aviation in the United States has already taken this course.

In the “early days” of general aviation, most planes went to the boneyard on about the same timeline as cars, but starting in the 70’s (when insurance/liability drove prices through the roof) — they all started getting refurbed. High initial purchase costs and rust-proof construction drove/allowed the trend, which continues today.

With high battery costs, autonomous costs, and environmental costs, it’s not impossible to imagine cars evolving into the same 50+ year useful lifespan.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    kbergene and xcel like this.
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

It's really too bad, as the the new US Rex version is (I think) still hobbled with:
    1. 70 mph speed limiter
    2. No Range hold (so mountainous driving would suck)
    3. Small fuel tank, although the US version's 2.4 g tank is no longer electronically limited to 1.9, the tank needs to be at least 5 gallons, imo.

/I don't have links, but there is a "jailbreak" for the old version of the US i3.

U.S. Spec BMW i3 REX: Smaller Gas Tank, No Range Hold, Limited Speed?
    https://transportevolved.com/2014/0...ex-smaller-gas-tank-range-hold-limited-speed/

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  7. Trollbait

The European i3 REX works the way I pictured the Volt working upon first hearing about it. You got a full power EV with a range extender that wasn't powerful enough to provide full power alone. Instead, the driver selects when it turns on depending on the amount of distance, and route, they will be driving for the trip. Not being full power can save on space, weight, cost, and fuel. Like using the gen1 Volt's mountain mode, the driver turns the extnder on early when they expect to exceed the Car's EV range. This way there is enough energy in the battery to help cover the gaps in the ICE's output for the trip.

In that case, I don't see a limit of 70mph as a big deal, if that is what the ICE can sustain on level roads without the battery helping, and the battery is able to lean in for higher speeds and hill climbing.

I can see that using the same tank, but preventing a full fill in some way for the US would be good for production costs, but in what way is it electronically limited? Does the ECU just not allow the use of that last half gallon? Five gallons would nice, but as a tiny car(smaller than Spark?), BMW likely expects most owners to not use it for vacations. As is, the REX doesn't lose space for the ICE and fuel tank compared to the BEV, which could have been another design trade off.

I imagine a competent tuner of BMWs can likely disable the hobbling. Sonics can be switched to run on E85 or even flexfuel, and past GM trucks have had their Holden lean burn programming turned on. So I imagine it actually won't be hard for someone with knowledge to do similar changes to an i3. Not being in the position to actually buy an i3, I simply haven't taken the time to do the digging myself.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

The i3 is a "tiny" car ? I need to go check the BMW website on that one. BRB. And who , really , uses an electric car to go on vacation ? Not even Elon does.

I do agree that 70 MPH from a 647cc scooter engine pushing a tall , good-sized car is plenty. But it probably doesn't get 43 MPG (premium fuel ! ) at that speed. There are far more efficient highway cars available.

9. Trollbait

By the EPA, the i3 is a subcompact. Less space for passengers than the Spark. More for cargo, and bigger over all. So a tiny car.

Its range extender is enough for a day trip. If you need it daily for your commute, you probably should have considered another PHEV or BEV with more range.

10. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Um, my brother is 6'-6"+ and I am 6'-4" and I fit comfortably in the backseat behind him, in his i3 REx. He has more room than in ANY vehicle he has ever owned.

The i3 is not tiny.

BillLin likes this.